DeeCee

The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power | Amazon | September 2, 2022

11 hours ago, Ozymandias said:

I really hope so.

And I'm so glad Scotland lost out on this due to Brexit.  As far as I'm concerned, New Zealand IS Middle Earth.  There are so many incredible landscape shots in that trilogy with little to no added CGI.  Thanks Brexit, you made New Zealand Great Again.  One of these days before I die I'm gonna visit New Zealand.   Good thing I'm only 29 and have plenty of time.

New Zealand was amazing to visit.  We went on a cruise to a famous New Zealand whaling ship, saw dolphins, and even saw a penguin! There was one day during our trip where we actually didn't have enough luggage to get back home without having to stop to load it, so of course I packed all my electronics in the trunk of my car, and on one of the most memorable days in New Zealand we went to a local movie theatre, went to see The Revenant, and ended up in a restaurant where our waiter recommended the local cuisine.  I ordered a pizza, and it was one of the best pizzas I've had in a long time. It also got me to start doing more research into other New World cuisines. You must visit.  The landscape is so captivating.

It is a bit surprising to see the lack of "big names" in the cast. Nothing to be concerned about, but given that LOTR is clearly intended to be Amazon's flagship TV show and that they will spend something like $700 million (!) before one episode is released, it is definitely a choice - very different from what Apple TV has been doing.

On 1/21/2020 at 10:52 PM, MrGlass2 said:

It is a bit surprising to see the lack of "big names" in the cast. Nothing to be concerned about, but given that LOTR is clearly intended to be Amazon's flagship TV show and that they will spend something like $700 million (!) before one episode is released, it is definitely a choice - very different from what Apple TV has been doing.

Why waste money on named actors when the brand will sell itself? The OT didn't need big names to blow up

"Amazon plans to spend about $650 million on season one of the show meaning it would be eligible for a rebate of over $160m."

source: https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/political/440587/government-to-give-amazon-over-100m-boost-for-lord-of-the-rings-filming

Amazon with that fuck you money, it's in NZD but even still its over $450m USD for a single season of TV, assuming its a 10 episode season thats nearly $50m an episode. 

• Haha 1
  • Astonished 2
  • ...wtf 1

Great follow up by stuff, NZ government essentially wined and dined Amazon because they wanted to maintain the Middle Earth tourism and wanted to develop a relationship with Amazon.

A small number of films have qualified for the 5 per cent uplift, but proving significant economic benefit are often confined to things like tourism or reinvestment in the film industry. With Amazon, officials wanted something different. They wanted a foot in the door with not just Amazon Studios, the TV and film arm, but other Amazon companies, particularly in the tech side of things.

source: https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/300278735/behind-the-amazon-deal-fancy-dinners-film-premieres-and-a-covid19-pandemic

The full thing is worth a read. 

• Like 2