DeeCee

The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power | Amazon | September 2, 2022

Hopefully Bezos will follow the same funding method he’s now using for Blue Origin. 

Sell a billion dollars worth of Amazon stock each year to fund each season. 

That should be enough. 

I don't know how I feel about this.

The LOTR trilogy is my favorite movie series of all-time, and adapting that story to TV... I'm not sure it can be done, at least faithfully? 

Whatever I guess, it can't diminish the original adaptation for me anyway so, I'll check it out if/when it comes out.

1 hour ago, DeeCee said:

I’d go with 6 seasons of 8-10 episodes. 

Another question. Do you go back to New Zealand or go somewhere new for a cleaner break from the movies?

1 hour ago, aabattery said:

BACK TO NEW ZEALAND

I think there's a pretty sizable island to the west with quite a few biomes that could be explored

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Disbelief 1

I'm down for this.  They can actually do more than all the different movie adaptions (since there are more than the Jackson trilogy) if they do it right.  They can do an actual faithful adaption.  Now will they do that is a different question :P  Not that Jackson's take was bad, mind you.  I really like those movies.

but i'm on board for now

On ‎11‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 6:21 PM, Daxtreme said:

The LOTR trilogy is my favorite movie series of all-time, and adapting that story to TV... I'm not sure it can be done, at least faithfully? 

Whatever I guess, it can't diminish the original adaptation for me anyway so, I'll check it out if/when it comes out.

There is a LOT in the novel that the films had to leave out for lack of time. I am normally very skeptical of remakes, but I can see the reasons for a mini series.

I liked the films a lot also, but if you are an admirer of the books they are far from flawless.

You really have to read the novel to know where I am coming from.

I hope the miniseries would drop a couple of the "Hollywood" things that IMHO flawed the films,like the emphasis on action scenes. You have a more leisruly pace with a TV series, and would not have the "We need a big action scene every half hour" routine that did not help the films. Make it more character driven, less action driven. Overall I liked the films quite a bit, but I did think at times they slipped into action movie mode,which is not faithful to the novel.

I say novel because is LOTR is a single novel.The only reason it was  brough out in parts is because it was the only economically feasible way for the books to be brought out in the mid 1950's.

Tolkien always disliked people calling it a Trilogy, since he wrote it as a single story, and bringing it out in three parts was for strictly business.not artistic reasons.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 1

Question is also one of budget. It it finiancally feasible to give a TV version the kind of funding it would take to do it properly? Bezos might love the books,but he is still accountable to the Amazon stockholders and can't just spend huge amounts . He has to do "due diligence" and show it would be a wise project for Amazon to do.

A Silmarillion TV series would be amazing... LotR... sceptical. But I will watch it anyway :D

I could see a six season treatment, orientating itself at Tolkien's six-book structure:

1. The Ring sets out

2. The Ring goes South

3. The Treason of Isengard

4. The Ring goes East

5. The War of the Ring 

6. The End of the Third Age.

As 3/4 and 5/6 happen simultaneously (for the most part) one would have to restructure those. I think having the two storylines completely separated would be really hard. Problem is that especially everything after leaving Amon Hen happens in a relatively narrow timeline. So maybe it would be best to stretch the war over a longer timeline... or maybe keep Tolkien's structure (which would surely be a gamble).

That's if it only covers the LotR books. If it also wants to cover the Hobbit and the time between the Hobbit and LotR it might be totally different, of course. 

Showing a different version of the Hobbit would be pretty great... one that keeps the story at its relatively "low-scale" straight-forward level. That could be done in two seasons, with a third season covering stuff such as the hunt for Gollum, the White Council and Dol Guldur etc. The series could therefore really develop from relatively small events into the big War of the Ring over the course of its run.

Such a show could also show the Northern theater of the War of the Ring, of course (Battle under the Trees, Battle for Dale, etc.).

Edited by ShouldIBeHere

With 2-3 seasons for The Hobbit and the bridge between it and LOTR, and 6 seasons for the actual LOTR books... I think that could be the most ambitious show ever conceived.

And also one of the hardest to execute. So many ways, so many things that can go wrong.

On 11/4/2017 at 8:21 PM, Daxtreme said:

The LOTR Books can definitely be done faithfully, the movies omit a lot of material.

Interestingly the TIMES reports that the Tolkien family is involved.

At first I just thought that the early articles confused Middle-earth Enterprises with the Tolkien Estate... but now they are explicitly named as being part of the talks.

This could just mean that they are involved a bit (PJ tried to get them on board as well back in the 90s and the production was for a while in contact with Chtistopher Tolkien) or that they want to make sure that this will be a - in their view - more truthful version of JRR's work and not as off as some of them consider PJ's movies to be. It could, as much as I doubt it, mean that the family is now ready to talk about rights to Tolkien's other works... which would be an incredible change of heart that I cannot really dare to hope for just yet.

Edited by ShouldIBeHere

On 11/9/2017 at 11:29 AM, ShouldIBeHere said:

Interestingly the TIMES reports that the Tolkien family is involved.

At first I just thought that the early articles confused Middle-earth Enterprises with the Tolkien Estate... but now they are explicitly named as being part of the talks.

This could just mean that they are involved a bit (PJ tried to get them on board as well back in the 90s and the production was for a while in contact with Chtistopher Tolkien) or that they want to make sure that this will be a - in their view - more truthful version of JRR's work and not as off as some of them consider PJ's movies to be. It could, as much as I doubt it, mean that the family is now ready to talk about rights to Tolkien's other works... which would be an incredible change of heart that I cannot really dare to hope for just yet.

I would do anything for a Silmarillion TV series. I love Silmarillion more than I love LOTR. It is, in my opinion, one of the best books ever written. I hope it gets adapted one day, while I am still alive.:lol:

• Like 1