DeeCee

The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power | Amazon | September 2, 2022

12 hours ago, Potiki said:

No idea how many family accounts there are for Amazon, Amazon also offers a Prime Video only option but I imagine that is a fairly small percentage of total viewers. 

I will say whilst Amazon Prime is more than just streaming it does get decent overall viewership below only Netflix and Hulu in the US. 

the-gauge-july-2022.png

Source: https://www.nielsen.com/insights/2022/streaming-claims-largest-piece-of-tv-viewing-pie-in-july/

I would guess they have around as many active users as Hulu (46m) or Disney+ (44m US and Canada, probably 39m US only) so around 40-50m monthly viewers as a wide range. 

Internationally Amazon is biggest in terms of market share in Japan (which also accounts for majority viewership) with Canada, Western Europe and Australia also pretty sizeable but viewership lower than Disney+ even though Disney are smaller in these markets in terms of subs. India is sizeable by amount of subscribers, less so market share, but viewership I don't know how they do there. 

Don't know how much this all helps, I would say wait for Nielsen data in a months time then it will be easier to compare to other services shows at least in the US.

Internationally/globally we don't get a lot of viewership stats but as I said the other day the 25m number seems good to great, Kasey Moore who runs What's on Netflix did a comp to some Netflix numbers they used to give out when they did views rather than hours but should be noted that the language used by Netflix was accounts vs. Amazon saying viewers which may have boosted Rings of Power numbers some but also none of Netflix's numbers are from first day only either. 

For people who can't see the tweet for whatever reason comparing ROP 25m views:

"To my knowledge Netflix never released single day figures.

Murder Mystery got 31 million in first weekend. (45 full week)

Stranger Things 3 got 40.7 million accounts in first 4 days.

Red Notice most watched on day 1 with ???"

In India Ormax media tracks OTT viewership numbers.

https://www.filmcompanion.in/streaming/best-shows-on-web-ott-september-week-1-criminal-justice-cuttputli-koffee-with-karan-maharani-delhi-crime-netflix-disney-hotstar/amp/

Edited by Factcheck
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, dudalb said:

Amazon Prime is not just a streaming service though, many subscribe for the other benefits  it offters, such as free shipping for Amazon orders.

Prime existed a long before streaming did.

This makes Amazon Prime differen then say, Netfix or DIsney + which pretty much are exclusively streaming services.

I use my expired student card to get prime for cheap :)

Even the stars of the Peter Jackson trilogy have felt the need join in on combating the excessive online vitriol:

• Like 8

7 hours ago, Ozymandias said:

This isn't a complete sample size across all devices, but from my understanding they are counting views for both shows in the same way.

Of course, it should be pointed out that this Samba TV measurement for HotD is HBO and HBO Max, while RoP is Prime Only.

Still, won't doubt that House of Dragon is pulling better numbers, as that'd be silly. Just pointing out it's not strictly apples-to-apples here.

Another very strong episode.  Still lying down plot threads, but some are starting to come together.

Def interested to see just where all of this is headed and how much payoff is gonna happen in a total of eight episodes time for season 1.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 5

Some quick thoughts on episode 3 before bed:

• Episode started off slow, but garnered momentum in the latter half - characters and their motivations are coming to focus
  • The Harfoots may be the best darn part of this show - in no small part thanks to Nori and Markella Kavenagh who plays her. 
  • The score this episode, especially the Numenor theme - wow. SO GOOD.

I'll expound on my thoughts when I've got some time.

Peace,

Mike

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, MikeQ said:

The Harfoots may be the best darn part of this show - in no small part thanks to Nori and Markella Kavenagh who plays her. 

God, yes.  The entire culture of the Harfoots is a breath of fresh air as well.  But in particular Markella Kavenagh has a presence around her that just elevates any scene she is in.

It is HARD to play sincerity in the way it is depicted with her character.  No... strike that.  It is exceptionally hard to play sincerity is depicted with her character that doesn't come off as fake or one-dimensional or off in some way.  But, damn, is she fantastic as Nori.

I know that people were skeptical of the whole concept of Harfoots in the Second Age, but they are bringing something badly badly needed in a show like this:  Heart.

Not even just Nori here.  The Harfoots are the beating heart of this show, and it'd be a damn poorer one without them.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 3

Felt this episode was a significantly better episode than the first 2, felt like this was setting up were the show is headed, also feel like the visuals and music stepped it up which is impressive as those were the best aspects of last week. 

Rewatched the first 2 episodes a couple of days ago and I think I have managed to turn my brain off at hearing certain names (be they places, people or things) and just enjoy this show for what it is. 

• Like 1

On 9/7/2022 at 2:21 AM, dudalb said:

Amazon Prime is not just a streaming service though, many subscribe for the other benefits  it offters, such as free shipping for Amazon orders.

Prime existed a long before streaming did.

This makes Amazon Prime differen then say, Netfix or DIsney + which pretty much are exclusively streaming services.

On 9/7/2022 at 2:27 AM, Porthos said:

I agree with this.  I would also add that many folks get Prime via family deals and thus wouldn't be able to watch on those accounts (though they obviously could on whoever's account they're linked to).  No idea just how solid the number of Prime members are when that is taken into account.  Maybe @Potiki knows.

On the other hand, Amazon was pushing this release HARD on its Amazon Home Page.  Countdown banners on every single Amazon page I saw (at least on the store side) and so on.

Amazon put a lot of muscle in making sure people on its platform knew about it, and that might have boosted its number beyond what it might have been without such an all-out blitz.

My comment was about the ratio being discussed. People where talking about the 25m as being worldwide and then refering to the 70 - 30 split we see in the OS - DOM split for LOTR movies. And on this point I was trying to point out that non DOM markets have  a far less adaptation of amazon. Where I live it's not nearly as big as it is in the US so that 70-30 OS - DOM split is probably way off as this would asume equal acces around the world, and this is just not the case.

8 hours ago, Potiki said:

Felt this episode was a significantly better episode than the first 2, felt like this was setting up were the show is headed, also feel like the visuals and music stepped it up which is impressive as those were the best aspects of last week. 

Rewatched the first 2 episodes a couple of days ago and I think I have managed to turn my brain off at hearing certain names (be they places, people or things) and just enjoy this show for what it is. 

Hmm certain aspects were better but this was the weakest episode for me tbh.

Hartfoots and the look of numenor were the best part of the episode . Theme of numenor was really good and the plot progressed was a little better

Acting and dialogue was better at parts and clunky at parts where it felt so rehearsed at times.

"Sea is always right" has got to be one of the lamest mottos I've heard.

Action was just poor this episode,worst part of today's episode and that whole plotline was the least interesting of the entire episode.

And yeah really not digging the elven look here and it was slightly worse ,they totally feel like humans and not elves at all. 

I'm trying to give galadriel a chance but don't know whats up she is really stiff having hallbrand beside her really helps and they bounce off each other quite well.

That scene involving slow MO was hilarious, that kind of slow MO is outdated now. When they zoomed in her smile it was weird .that scene was a strange choice from the director.

This episode had major pacing issues and please can they just stop with the mystery box element ,they did it with the dwarves in 2 yet most know what that element is and did it at the end of this episode again.

3 eps in . The plot should pick up a little more. 

1st half was real slow and the second half picked up in the end.

Still enjoyed the episode but it had more issues esp due to the way the plot is structured(mystery box element)which can work  but in the hands of inexperienced writers can needlessly slow the plot down.

• Like 1

Yeah this was good. Show is starting to click for me. Though I still find the Southlands plotlines to be kinda uninteresting (and we didn't see the kid and mom at all this week?) I did enjoy everything in Numenor a lot, and was more engaged with the Harfoot storyline. 

I find it weird seeing so many people get annoyed with the slow-mo scene of Galadriel, it didn't really bother me, and frankly it's a weird thing to get annoyed over considering how short it was. I do think the action should be better in some places

Spoiler

Arondir fighting the Warg just didn't really feel tense.

Edited by Menor Reborn
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Menor Reborn said:

find it weird seeing so many people get annoyed with the slow-mo scene of Galadriel, it didn't really bother me, and frankly it's a weird thing to get annoyed

Didn't really ruin the episode or anything just pointed out because it was a weird directing choice than can hinder immersion Abit no matter how small it is.

IMO it feels like the directors wanted to give the scene more emotion and it can kind of come of emotionally manipulative at times  even when not intended.

Which is one of the issues I'm having with galadriel,she has some decent dialogue but her acting range and the way she conveys emotion is lacking. She is at her best when with halbrand.