DeeCee

The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power | Amazon | September 2, 2022

6 minutes ago, Porthos said:

:kitschjob:

Know a couple of people who worked on this and all I can say is good, hopefully Amazon treats UK folks better. 

Plus the NZ government spent way too much and now it bit them in the ass (tourism wise) which is equal parts funny and horrible.

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Jamiem said:

hopefully Amazon treats UK folks better. 

I know that it's what finally gets put on the screen that matters, but between kicking Tom Shippey to the curb during pre-production, dumping NZ as a location shoot,  your own comments here, plus some other stray things I've been hearing here and there, gotta say I am having some bad vibes about this show.

Not even concerns... Just... "bad vibes".

Since I'm almost a big a LotR Loonie (as Baumer would put it) as I am a SW Nerd, I hope to hell I'm wrong here.  

Edited by Porthos
Mixed up which Tolkien-ologists Amazon axed
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

I know that it's what finally gets put on the screen that matters, but between kicking Tom Shippey to the curb during pre-production, dumping NZ as a location shoot,  your own comments here, plus some other stray things I've been hearing here and there, gotta say I am having some bad vibes about this show.

Since I'm almost a big a LotR Loonie (as Baumer would put it) as I am a SW Nerd, I hope to hell I'm wrong here.  

Yeah it sucks I will still give it a chance but hearing that it was an awful experience to work on (a real “Amazon” production if you will) sours me on the whole thing a bit. 

Edited by Jamiem
  • Like 1

• Like 4
  • Astonished 1

On 8/12/2021 at 8:57 PM, Porthos said:

As a Toklien fan since I read the books in the early 80's, I am very skeptical about this..or any project not based closely on Tolkien's writings.

One reason the Hobbit was not nearly as good as LOTR was that Jackson added too much of his own crap to it, and Jackson is a lot more talented then the people making this.

Yeah, call me a close minded purist,but i have no interest in a routine Sword and Sorcery story set in  MIddle Earth.Still just a routine Sword and Sorcery story.

And, No I do not think Tolkien's works should be treated like a freaking comic book universe.

And if you have not read the book I can't take you seriously as a  Middle Earth fan.

Yean they have made it look as much as the LOTR films as possible,but in the end it's the writing that counts. Too many people get overly impressed by visuals alone.

The kicking of TOm Shippey to the curb was huge red flag  to me.

I would be more interested in seeing an attmept at stories from the Simarrallion, but that would take a lot of very good writing.and a Talent on the level of the Jackson of LOTR (not the Jackson of the Hobbit) to pull off.

Jackson, btw, seems to be  happy being a documentary filmmaker, and I admit his upcoming "Get Back" on the album that pretty much caused the Beatles break up (Jackson is a HUGE Beatles fan) looks really interesintg.

Edited by dudalb

4 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

is it a marketing-only sequence? Because the CGI isn't so good.

Still doesn't really let us see much of anything. The narrator doesn't even have CLOSE to the gravitas in her voice that Cate Blanchett has, like it's not even close.

It is not CGI tho haha

• Astonished 1