Finnick

Weekend Thread | Estimates: T:R 57.08M, DH2 29.65M, MOTOE 28.68M, ABMC 11.47M, 32.4K PTA for Lady Bird (Deadline, p.46) | The box office is good again!

I know that it's nothing new for PG-13 films to draw family business, but I remain surprised the Daddy's Home films have been marketed so heavily to families. Usually, the PG-13 films that aim for kids are big superhero or fantasy blockbusters, not comedies. I would say that Dr. Dolittle is the closest precedent I can think of (and that was almost 20 years ago now), but its sequel got a PG (probably due in no small part to the fact that the 1998 film played so well with families).

Edited by Webslinger
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Webslinger said:

I know that it's nothing new for PG-13 films to draw family business, but I remain surprised the Daddy's Home films have been marketed so heavily to families. Usually, the PG-13 films that aim for kids are big superhero or fantasy blockbusters, not comedies.

Yep often been surprised to see not R-rated with those.

The Simpsons movie I imagine played well with family audience ? Ghostbuster & Pixel kind of tried in a unnatural way and had fantasy blockbuster element.

Just now, Finnick said:

‘Thor’ Still Booming At B.O. With $61M-$63M; ‘Murder On The Orient Express’ Stabs $24M; ‘Daddy’s Home 2’ Has $21M – Midday

Thor will definitely make a run for Homecoming DOM if that weekend number pans out. Still way too early though, so won't get too excited yet. 

1 minute ago, Finnick said:

‘Thor’ Still Booming At B.O. With $61M-$63M; ‘Murder On The Orient Express’ Stabs $24M; ‘Daddy’s Home 2’ Has $21M – Midday

That's what i wanted to comment. Deadline is even increasing the second weekend total from 60 to 61-63 ... that's a 50% sharp drop ... They started predicting opening weekend on 100M and went up to 122M. Impressive imo. 

smth like....

21 + 24.15 (+15%) + 15.95 (-34%) = 61.1 (-50.2%) ?

tbh, best to temper expectations. If Vet Day is giving a big boost on Friday, then Sat may jump closer to 10% instead of 15-20%.

• Like 1