kayumanggi

MORBIUS | April 1 2022 | Sony | Returns to 1000+ theaters June 3rd because we live in a simulation

They know nobody is gonna be wanting to be venturing to the theaters in massive numbers once they reopen, whenever that is. With so many movies in production put on hold they might as well plan ahead and start filling up 2021's schedule with movies that were set for this year and go from there.

• Like 1

Just now, Frozen said:

So what happens when theaters reopen? A bunch of films get dumped?  

It'll either be re-releases, movies that were playing when everything was shut down, or titles that were never going to play to packed theaters to begin with (like Antlers or Promising Young Woman or Saint Maud) in the first month at least.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Macleod said:

It's very possible that SONY is hearing internally that another studio's tentpole is moving to March...and we know what they are.  

Or it's very possible that they're using common sense and know that the movie would gross more money if it releases at a later date than March 2021 as box office numbers are still going to be significantly down in March (6 months away).

2 minutes ago, Avatree said:

Or it's very possible that they're using common sense and know that the movie would gross more money if it releases at a later date than March 2021 as box office numbers are still going to be significantly down in March (6 months away).

And they also probably want to keep it a little closer, or at least within a year of...their third Spider-Man...which most likely is not going to be making December 2021...since it hasn't even started shooting!  

On 9/19/2020 at 4:27 PM, marveldcfox said:

The move industry has collapsed completely. Frankly, if I was a studio head, I wouldn't be green lighting any movie nor allow any new film to go for shooting unless the backlog is cleared. 

Problem is you do that, you guarantee a shortage of films later on

And to stop a film shceduleing for shooting from beginning production would lead to a mess of legal problems since the contracts with actors and the major crew members stipulate a starting date.

• Like 1

On 9/19/2020 at 4:27 PM, marveldcfox said:

The move industry has collapsed completely. Frankly, if I was a studio head, I wouldn't be green lighting any movie nor allow any new film to go for shooting unless the backlog is cleared. 

I would be very hesistnat about greenlighing any new projects at this point;

But the ones already greenlit studios are probably legally obligated to go forward with though they migh delay a little.