The Panda

Top Grossing Movies of 2019 Predicts

1 minute ago, FantasticBeasts said:

Frozen will do huge numbers. It never left. The merchandise and following it's got is phenomenal. The only thing that can prevent it from going absolutely bananas is that it is now pretty clear that it's female-centered so it may be a bit harder for boys to emerge.

I feel like there's an audience who was really on board with it back in 2013/2014 that now kind of treats it like the plague though. It just got so overbearing that I think it started to turn off a lot of people who actually liked it at the time. So I'd be interested if that has an effect. 

6 years is just an extremely odd direct sequel gap. I'm trying to even think of another one off the top of my head, or even in the 5-7 range. The Cars sequels and Sherlock Gnomes are the only animated ones in that range if I'm not mistaken. And while I'm not about to compare Frozen 2 to those movies, it is worth noting that all of them definitely had a big drop off. WiR2 will be in the same 6 year boat as F2 as well though. Almost every animated sequel falls into the 2-4 year gap or the Pixar category of a decade+. 

Edited by MovieMan89

38 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I feel like there's an audience who was really on board with it back in 2013/2014 that now kind of treats it like the plague though. It just got so overbearing that I think it started to turn off a lot of people who actually liked it at the time. So I'd be interested if that has an effect. 

I disagree. If you are around little children you will know that it has reached iconic status already among young girls.

This will be driven by little childs and their parents not adults who get grumpy and troll it online.

2 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

I disagree. If you are around little children you will know that it has reached iconic status already among young girls.

This will be driven by little childs and their parents not adults who get grumpy and troll it online.

Oh I'm well aware it will be driven by kids, I'm just talking about the older fanbase of the first. The first was huge because it ended up having appeal to many demos.  

1 minute ago, FantasticBeasts said:

Hey hey, I'm a 20 year old male and will 100% be there opening weekend!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FantasticBeasts said:

Don't know. You may be right but I think it will do very well. It has everything going for it.

I agree.  If Frozen 2 doesn't hit at least $500M, then something went seriously wrong with their marketing.

• Like 2

Just now, acetabulum said:

I agree.  If Frozen 2 doesn't hit at least $500M, then something went seriously wrong with their marketing.

Or they had no story to tell, like the shitty shorts. As much as I love the film, the shorts are awful moneymakers

1 hour ago, acetabulum said:

That's way too high of expectations. 325-425 should be the range depending on which way the WOM goes. I fail to see how or why it would beat the first adjusted by that much. It will be virtually impossible to replicate the cultural imprint the first built as its run went on. OW frontloading could be big as far as animation goes.

Btw, the Frozen short in front of Coco is what I mean by a lot of non-kids at least being tired of the whole thing these days. That got a nasty backlash with the GA. And I do agree the whole craze has become too female centric for a lot of little boys to be as interested in it as they may have been the first. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

format: DOMESTIC / WORLDWIDE

sorted by: WORLDWIDE, HIGH TO LOW

4.) Episode IX $730M/$1450M

No way. After The Last Jedi very mixed reception and without anyone from original trio (Luke, Leia, Han) "Episode IX" won't match even its predecessor's numbers. My prediction for now: $560 mln DOM + $700 mln OS, maybe. This would be first "the third movie in trilogy" which won't increase from the previous episode.

I may be wrong since I am basing this on personal experience solely, but I feel that the adult audience is getting way more credit than it deserves when it comes to animation films. I don't know a single person in their 20-30s that will go to see an animated film on a cinema without either babysitting or having kids. Maybe a group of females?? But even that feels rare . For me those movies get 95% of their money from little kids and their parents. Otherwise there is no way to explain how Illumination is dominating the game with zero appeal for adults.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Juby said:

No way. After The Last Jedi very mixed reception and without anyone from original trio (Luke, Leia, Han) "Episode IX" won't match even its predecessor's numbers. My prediction for now: $560 mln DOM + $700 mln OS, maybe. This would be first "the third movie in trilogy" which won't increase from the previous episode.

I hope you're right LOL

4 hours ago, FantasticBeasts said:

I may be wrong since I am basing this on personal experience solely, but I feel that the adult audience is getting way more credit than it deserves when it comes to animation films. I don't know a single person in their 20-30s that will go to see an animated film on a cinema without either babysitting or having kids. Maybe a group of females?? But even that feels rare . For me those movies get 95% of their money from little kids and their parents. Otherwise there is no way to explain how Illumination is dominating the game with zero appeal for adults.

Yeah as much as Illumination’s films quality is definitely questionable, nowadays most animated films don’t get pass $150M without adult appeal. Even $100M can be a struggle if you aren’t Disney/Pixar/Illumination. 

44 minutes ago, JGAR4LIFE said:

Episode IX will drop hard, maybe the Jumanji sequel will beat it worldwide this time around

Yeah I think you are right. Jumanji is in good position to challenge big movies like SW.

10 hours ago, Juby said:

Both Empire and Clones and a mixed reception from the release and both third movies increased. 

• Thanks 1

Because RotJ was "the final chapter", as weel as RotS ("The Saga is Complete" tagline, Vader presence!). This one will be just another SW film. Everyone knows that after Episode IX Disney is planning another 1596 Star Wars films, another trilogy another prequ... I mean spin-offs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1