WrathOfHan

The Super Mario Bros. Movie | Universal/Illumination | April 5, 2023 | Chris Pratt is Mario, Charlie Day is Luigi, Anya Taylor-Joy is Peach | Reviews are in. It's-a bad!

This is looking to be one of the biggest trainwrecks in all of cinema (and even fiction in general). One of the most beloved and prestigious entertainment brands in the world, and Shiggy decided to choose fucking Illumination, the Minion factory of all studios.

I instantly knew it would be a celebrity-loaded, pop culture-infested 2hip4u take on Mario the second the news hit. Who the fuck had the idea to cast Chris fucking Pratt as Mario?! Jack Black as Bowser?1 Seth Rogen as Smokey Bong Donkey Kong?!

I honestly hope this pulls a Detective Pikachu and underperforms, because if this is a hit then Illumination might set their eyes on my childhood hero Kirby. I really don't want that.

• Astonished 1

9 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

This is looking to be one of the biggest trainwrecks in all of cinema (and even fiction in general). One of the most beloved and prestigious entertainment brands in the world, and Shiggy decided to choose fucking Illumination, the Minion factory of all studios.

I like Mario games but it's truly not that deep.

You'll get an inoffensive 90 minute adventure. Kids will like it, and adults will forget it exists 3 months after release (kinda like Sonic). 

4 hours ago, AJG said:

You'll get an inoffensive 90 minute adventure. Kids will like it, and adults will forget it exists 3 months after release (kinda like Sonic). 

I can see this movie been the perfect counterprogramming of Avatar, kids will prefer this movie instead of avatar 2 

• Like 3

On 9/24/2021 at 1:56 PM, AJG said:

Yes, there's no reason this won't be at least as succesfull as detective pikachu or sonic. Probably even more. 

Would be funny though if this movie somehow rattles the raging middle age dudes with easily ruined childhood syndrome.

2 hours ago, Joel M said:

Yes, there's no reason this won't be at least as succesfull as detective pikachu or sonic. Probably even more. 

Would be funny though if this movie somehow rattles the raging middle age dudes with easily ruined childhood syndrome.

I still remember when many folks online* had DP pegged pre-release to be a juggernaut hit.

I think with nostalgia for that multi-generational property that's relatively not been fully exploited at the movies I think to a certain extent people will give it a pass as long as the movie isn't completely terrible. 

*=I...was one of them. I'll admit it. 

2 hours ago, RRA said:

I still remember when many folks online* had DP pegged pre-release to be a juggernaut hit.

But not just because it was a huge ip or nostlagia. It was mostly the abnormaly high trailer views, i think at the time only comparable to 300m+ grossers. 

I never thought the casting of Mario would cause so much offence online but I guess that's just the internet these days. Chris Pratt, ATJ, Jack Black, Seth Rogan, Keegan Michael and Charlie day, that so far is a killer cast, this could definitely be a hit. It's clearly going to be more of a comedy which I'm happy with 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Chicago said:

I never thought the casting of Mario would cause so much offence online but I guess that's just the internet these days. Chris Pratt, ATJ, Jack Black, Seth Rogan, Keegan Michael and Charlie day, that so far is a killer cast, this could definitely be a hit. It's clearly going to be more of a comedy which I'm happy with 

Chris Pratt is the sole reason its being ripped apart online lol

On 9/24/2021 at 5:40 AM, BadOlCatSylvester said:

I instantly knew it would be a celebrity-loaded, pop culture-infested 2hip4u take on Mario the second the news hit. Who the fuck had the idea to cast Chris fucking Pratt as Mario?! Jack Black as Bowser?1 Seth Rogen as Smokey Bong Donkey Kong?!

I honestly hope this pulls a Detective Pikachu and underperforms, because if this is a hit then Illumination might set their eyes on my childhood hero Kirby. I really don't want that.

PqfmbfKh.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Chris Pratt is the sole reason its being ripped apart online lol

Yeah it's ridiculous but it's mainly just twitter where People stopped liking Chris Pratt years ago. They are just a small but loud minority of lefty moaners who post lefty bullshit for other lefty folks to like and share with their lefty friends. They spend more time trying to look progressive than actually being progressive, its cringe. In reality Chris Pratt is still one of Hollywood's most popular and bankable actors right now and his involvement will sell the product more than all the other names in the cast. I'll be happy if it's half as good as Lego Movie 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Chicago said:

Yeah it's ridiculous but it's mainly just twitter where People stopped liking Chris Pratt years ago. They are just a small but loud minority of lefty moaners who post lefty bullshit for other lefty folks to like and share with their lefty friends. They spend more time trying to look progressive than actually being progressive, its cringe. In reality Chris Pratt is still one of Hollywood's most popular and bankable actors right now and his involvement will sell the product more than all the other names in the cast. I'll be happy if it's half as good as Lego Movie 

His star has certainly fallen because of his life choices. The Tomorrow War was perfect red state fodder (for a week or two), they love a veteran.