WrathOfHan

The Super Mario Bros. Movie | Universal/Illumination | April 5, 2023 | Chris Pratt is Mario, Charlie Day is Luigi, Anya Taylor-Joy is Peach | Reviews are in. It's-a bad!

I'm interested in this, but I'm not fond of Illumination as an animation company. Their quality is really watered down compared to the likes of Dreamworks and Pixar. They have a very generic style that isn't easily identifiable for me. Hopefully Mario's appearance won't be affected by that, but I suspect he will.

• Like 2

Cautiously excited for this, though it is going to be a challenge finding the right voice actor and way to make Mario talk, even in animation. Obviously he can't talk like a one note caricature like he does in the games, but giving him just a "normal" voice might also be kind of odd. 

13 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

Cautiously excited for this, though it is going to be a challenge finding the right voice actor and way to make Mario talk, even in animation. Obviously he can't talk like a one note caricature like he does in the games, but giving him just a "normal" voice might also be kind of odd. 

I would say to just have Charles Martinet do it since he's been voicing the character for 28 years. But Mario's never spoken long term in games and has been restricted to small catch phrases, so I am not sure if he'd be able to do it for that long without sounding over-the-top.

Edited by NoobSaibot
  • Like 1

This has no chance of being good simply due to the fact Nintendo is so protective of their properties they definitely won't allow anything interesting to happen in the movie. It will be just so vanilla family friendly snore fest incoming.

8 hours ago, eXtacy said:

This has no chance of being good simply due to the fact Nintendo is so protective of their properties they definitely won't allow anything interesting to happen in the movie. It will be just so vanilla family friendly snore fest incoming.

Then again. Shiver Miyamoto himself is a producer; if the filmmakers want to do something interesting, they can approach him directly to get approval. And Miyamoto isn't afraid of doing interesting things as a game developer. So things may just turn out okay with him as a producer, because I'd be hardpressed to find anyone on Earth that knows Mario better than him.

7 minutes ago, New Year New Panda said:

An animated Mario movie is a great idea!

An illumination Mario movie? NO NO NO NO!

I want my Nintendo cinematic universe!

It could be worse. It could be from Paramount or Sony Animation.

On 2/1/2018 at 2:14 AM, MovieMan89 said:

Can't they just get Charles Martinet to voice him? I mean, who else could voice Mario?

• Like 1