WrathOfHan

The Super Mario Bros. Movie | Universal/Illumination | April 5, 2023 | Chris Pratt is Mario, Charlie Day is Luigi, Anya Taylor-Joy is Peach | Reviews are in. It's-a bad!

On 2/1/2018 at 7:14 AM, MovieMan89 said:

Cautiously excited for this, though it is going to be a challenge finding the right voice actor and way to make Mario talk, even in animation. Obviously he can't talk like a one note caricature like he does in the games, but giving him just a "normal" voice might also be kind of odd. 

Illumination has produced 4 movies starring yellow blobs that speak gobbledigook. I'm sure they will manage.

Edited by Tree Billboards

On 01/02/2018 at 7:14 AM, MovieMan89 said:

Cautiously excited for this, though it is going to be a challenge finding the right voice actor and way to make Mario talk, even in animation. Obviously he can't talk like a one note caricature like he does in the games, but giving him just a "normal" voice might also be kind of odd. 

Why not just hire the actual voice actor from the Nintendo games?

I'm not sure why so many folks here seem to be against Charles Martinet doing the voice for this.  He's still a professional voice actor and Mario isn't his only role.  If it needs to be toned down a bit for the movie, I'm sure he's perfectly capable of doing so.

• Like 1

https://variety.com/2018/film/features/chris-meledandri-illumination-minions-the-grinch-1203020068/

Meledandri is working on an animated version of the Nintendo game “Super Mario Bros.” that will be in theaters by 2022. There’s reason to be cautious. “Super Mario Bros.” already inspired a famously terrible 1993 movie — a film so bad that star Bob Hoskins dismissed it as “the worst thing I ever did.” Meledandri thinks he knows what went wrong in that instance: The filmmakers didn’t work with the game’s creators. He’s rectifying that this time by working hand in hand with Shigeru Miyamoto, the designer and producer responsible for creating the Mushroom Kingdom.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, dudalb said:

This will  be another mediocre piece of work from Illumination that will make a lot of money at the box office.

Not gonna lie: I don't think that Mario is as popular as Pokémon, but Mario is one of the few video game franchises that a movie based on it could feasibly open to, like, 70+ DOM - those two, Grand Theft Auto and probably Fortnite would be the others. I would love if most video game movies could open that high, but original video game franchises are not as huge and mainstream as some might believe, sadly. Well, a competently made Mario movie, that is, not stuff like the '93 Bob Hoskins version. Everyone knows who and what Mario is and the Illumination marketing machine will probably hit it big time to sell people on this thing. If Pikachu breaks out and proves that video game movies could be the way to go, Mario might follow suit box office-wise. As for the movie.... it can't be worse than the live action version. It just can't. Hell, don't most people agree that the Illumination Grinch film is at least an improvement on the Jim Carrey one (which is kind of a guilty pleasure for me, though I know it's a bad movie)?

Edited by MCKillswitch123

https://deadline.com/2020/05/animated-movies-coronavirus-production-tom-and-jerry-spongebob-scoob-skydance-illumination-1202928961/

Illumination’s artists and executives are continuing to work remotely from their Santa Monica, CA HQ and studio Illumination Mac Guff in Paris on all aspects of development, production, and marketing. Already because of the daily collaboration between their Paris and Santa Monica based producers, artists, designers, editors and many others, Illumination has been well prepared because they’ve always working remotely. The studio continues to work on Minions: The Rise of Gru (July 2, 2021) and Sing 2 (set for release on Dec. 22, 2021) along with other projects in active development and production, including two original titles and a new version of Super Mario Bros. with Nintendo. A source close to Illumination described the past two months as an extremely productive, innovative and creative time at the company.

• Like 1