ShouldIBeHere

The Crown | Netflix

Has there really not been a thread yet? Shame!

This had an outstanding first season. Really looking for the second season coming to Netflix in early December.

Season 2 will cover the late 50s and early 60s and will feature Claire Foy (Elizabeth), Matt Smith (Prince Philipp), Vanessa Kirby (Princess Margaret), Matthew Goode (Anthony Armstrong-Jones), Jeremy Northam (Anthony Eden), Victoria Hamilton (Queen Mum), Michael C Hall (JFK), Jodi Balfour (Jackie Kennedy), Alex Jennings (Duke of Windsor), Anton Lesser (Harold MacMillan), Julian Ovenden (Bobby Kennedy).

The third season will then have a change of cast, with Olivia Colman taking over the role of Elizabeth II from the billiant Claire Foy.

• Like 1

The first season was good as it was carried by a powerhouse performance of Winston Churchill.

Imo the First two episodes were amazingly done and it felt I was watching a sequel to the Kings Speech.

I just found the show climaxed early but it was a good ride. 

Yes, there were several season-finale-worthy episodes in Season 1 - but the actual finale wasn't one of them.

I wonder how the series will deal with the whole Diana time-frame. Thus far the series found a good way to have a certain respect for the real people behind all that without making the mistake to appear overly deferential and losing a certain critical distance. 

I am optimistic, though, as Peter Morgan proved with 2006's "The Queen" that he can also handle those delicate episodes well.

Edited by ShouldIBeHere
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ShouldIBeHere said:

If I interpret the trailers correctly, decolonization will be the major theme of Season 2 next to Margaret's new love and Philip's past and future issues.

It will be interesting how they do without Churchill, I think being honest was likely the best version of Churchill I have seen on screen lately. 

• Like 1

Yes, Churchill kept the political aspect very much on the same level as the royal stuff.

I hope they do not become too much of a royal soap-opera now.

But I am confident. Peter Morgan wrote a terrific play ("The Audience", it is worth checking out some clips on YT) about the Queen and her prime ministers. I am sure the PMs will continue to play a major role, it is something Morgan seems to be very much interested in ("The Queen" was also much less about Diana as it was about Elizabeth's relationship with Blair). Seems as if they also include the Kennedys to have that comparison of an old-fashioned, routed in birth rights monarchy with the modern, democratic monarchy-substitute which is the American Presidency in many ways (especially when a glamorous family resides at the White House).

Cannot wait for Thatcher to appear, given her alleged difficult relationship with the Queen.

Watched the second season.

It is a step down from the first Season as the first Season initial episodes are simply amazing and really hard to capture that sweeping historical narrative.

Also, it is hard for the Prime Ministers to match up with Winston Churchill personality (on tv and in reality it appears) 

However, it is still above average television and some episodes were extremely well done in season 2 such as the one about the background of Prince Phillip, Kennedys and The one about the Lord Blasting the queen were highlights. 

I think it was similar in quality to Season 1, though it did not have the absolute highlight that were Hyde Park Corner and the coronation episode. It struggled a bit from the massive focus on Philip in the first few episodes who later almost drops out of the show. However, I found both the Aldringham episode and the Kennedy episode to be really great.

• Thanks 1

More casting news:

Elizabeth - Olivia Colman

Prince Philip - Tobias Menzies

Princess Margaret - Helena Bonham Carter

Princess Anne - Erin Doherty

Prince Charles - Josh O'Conner

Anthony Armstrong-Jones - Ben Daniels

Harold Wilson - Jason Watkins

Edited by ShouldIBeHere

Morgan clearly intended to give a more balanced view of the whole Charles/Diana affair but if Twitter is anything to go by so far, Season 4 has only strengthened people's Lady Di love and hate for the RF. I guess the whole Harry/Meghan debacle made it a lost cause to garner sympathy for Charles and the Royals.

The time period covered by this season was so eventful that just ten episodes weren't enough. Charles proposing to Mountbatten's granddaughter, Reagan/Gorbachev Cold War antics, Indira Gandhi assassination, attempted assassination on Thatcher, Diana at the White House with Travolta have all been skipped.

12 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

Morgan clearly intended to give a more balanced view of the whole Charles/Diana affair but if Twitter is anything to go by so far, Season 4 has only strengthened people's Lady Di love and hate for the RF. I guess the whole Harry/Meghan debacle made it a lost cause to garner sympathy for Charles and the Royals.

Some of the royal commentators are saying Harry should cancel his Netflix deal in protest of the show and Season 4, especially. Other people are saying, "....maybe he doesn't totally disagree with the portrayal?" Seeing a lot "These people are awful, no wonder Harry took Meghan and the baby and ran the hell away!" comments about S4. 

Emma Corrin is really nailing the Shy Di side and I hope she wins all the awards. Elizabeth Debicki will be an adjustment next season, but I can see her as the more hardened Diana in her thirties. McNulty as Charles next year: they have their work cut out for them. Though maybe Dominic West is doing his part in his personal life these days to seem more convincing in the role. :P

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl