Grade it  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Disney/Pixar at it's best. Stunning visuals. Great characters. Incredible world building. Emotional beats that feel less telegraphed than Inside Out. Some aspects are a bit predictable as far as storytelling but it's still executed so well.

Only saw the teaser so went into this pretty cold and didn't expect it to be as moving as it was. Once you cross that gorgeous orange bridge....it's as imaginative as a Disney ride and a beautiful look at another culture. I liked it a lot more than The Book Of Life.

So yeah, easily the best animated film I've seen since Zootopia (and probably Inside Out) and should easily win Best Animated Picture at the Oscars. Hope the controversy doesn't destroy it.

On a side note: Wasn't expecting the Frozen short to be a full Christmas/Holiday special and to have so many new songs. It's 30 minutes. I counted it. That alone should get a lot of people into theaters and I quite enjoyed that too. Some of the music there was strong. Also was glad I went on a night when not many knew this was out so I had the theater mostly to myself.

A

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I would say it's heads and above Dory for Pixar, and won't make nearly as much. Which is a shame. It's beautiful, the music is great, the story is simple, but powerful. I saw the plot turns and side steps coming (outside a small one half way through). But everything was well orchestrated were once you really started to get the feeling things aren't what they seem, the story lets you know the truth.

The emotional beats, at least one had me in tears. The one in the end had me openly bawling, it was beautiful, and happened to hit the right emotional strings on my heart, about family and remembrance.

I'll just swing back to the look, the colors are brilliant, the look on those creatures (I can't remember what they're called) but it was fantastic. the fluorescence in those colors on those creatures where breath taking and created a real sense of not being "real".

A beautiful film, easy A.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Just got out of seeing this, and wow this movie was just really awesome!

The graphics are completely out of this WORLD (no pun intended). They are just phenomenal, I mean obviously the bridge scene is breathtaking, but even the entire movie. The attention to detail, even to the wood of the guitar is just mind blowing. 

The music was actually great, I was surprised at how much I liked it. The voice actors did a great job both singing and even talking. Miguel’s character was spot on, along with Hector’s. Their chemistry was on point. The big “twist” at the end was maybe a bit cliche as I saw it coming right away, but it didn’t bother me.

The pacing of the movie felt perfect to me, the run time spot on. It just felt like a perfect movie, one that definitely hits you with emotions and plenty of laughs. This is a movie for everyone, one of my favs of the year!

A score, 9.5/10 overall

• Like 7

As a whole, this is a phenomenal movie. It's up there with the year's best. If the category was less crowded, I could truly see a BP nom for this. In another world. As it stands, this is hands and away the best animated feature of the year. It was always going to be, because Pixar, and even if they've been resting on their laurels a lot / I personally don't find some of their more recent masterpieces to be all that great - read: Inside Out - this exceeded every expectation I had.

I've got to single things out - 

1. The lighting is phenomenal. Often I was just so impressed at the lighting on the characters in partially-darkened environments. 
  2. I was excited to hear Remember Me in context, and it's still a great song, I ended up liking every other song even more (not because of actions in the film, just saying)
  3. How dark the entire...consequences are. It's not enough to die once, oh no.

I know this isn't necessarily a religious holiday (Right?), but it did make me see what comfort people find in religion, specifically the idea that everyone you love isn't gone forever. And also, how my culture kind of doesn't have something like this. Sure, if I trace my ancestry back to a country in Africa, I'm sure there'd be something about honoring or praying to ancestors, but as an African American...I don't think we really have that? It kind of made me sad. Nothing says I can't figure my own shit out, though.

One thing;

Spoiler

Even as someone who read the picture book, I was still kind of confused on the lineage; That picture thing was such a cop out. Like, Hector was skinny as a rail even in the mortal realm, that picture leaned too heavily in throwing us for a loop by having him look like Ernesto.

Also I kind of wish Ernesto hadn't been exposed, to kind of tie in the fact that "You don't need the world to know or remember you, just your family" or something.

Also, I have a feeling he won't get the merch madness treament ala Baby Groot or Minions, but I absolutely adored Dante. 

A very strong A, probably my favorite movie of the year so far.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Copied from Coco discussion thread:

Saw Coco with my siblings today and it was so beautiful. I think I cried for the last 30 min and I heard other sniffles in the crowd. My siblings loved it as well. The music isn’t really remarkable and it started off kinda slow, but it definitely packs a punch in the last 30 min or so. I’ll have watch it again and I really hope it catches on and does really well. It’s a family movie with a great message. 

The Frozen short was also pretty good. Didn’t feel long to me. While buying our tickets, the theater employee had to mention the short because people apparently weren’t aware and complained about it the night before. 

So basically, I loved Coco. I saw the twist coming as soon as Hector showed up, but didn’t anticipate how it’d work out so I was still surprised with the reveal. And I also thought Hector was a goner when Miguel returned. Surprisingly dark for a children’s movie with the murder and the whole death after death thing, but it didn’t really faze my brother much outside of disliking Ernesto. Loved Miguel, who was so relatable with the struggle between doing what you feel called to and what your family feels is best.

Un Poco Loco and Remember Me were the most memorable songs and had my brother nodding along. My sister, who also cried, described it as a movie with a good 1st act, fun/interesting 2nd act, and really sad, emotional 3rd with 5 min of happiness. The world Pixar created is so colorful and visually rich with details that I feel like I need to watch it multiple times to catch them. It definitely leaves an impression on you. A

• Like 3

Beautifully animated (I don't think there's ever been a more visually stunning movie - the detail of the Land of the Dead is breathtaking) and heartfelt, and inevitably packs a heavy emotional punch. This is easily Pixar's best since Inside Out and one of their best overall, and a reminder no other studio can rival them when they're at their best. A

That Frozen short before the movie felt interminable, though.

• Like 2

A+

This grown man cried during a part of the movie. What a touching film. On par with Inside Out. One of Pixar’s best and hopefully it encourages more original work from the Mouse House. No need for an in-depth review. Just know that Pixar hasn’t lost a step. Lee Unkrich is amazing. What a track record. 

• Like 2

It's easily the best animation this year (not like there's much competition), and stands on the same level as other Pixar works like Ratatouille and Monsters Inc.  I loved the cultural aspect of the film, it really set it apart from many of Pixar's other movies, and I thought the thematic arcs were well done and weren't sobered down.  I'm glad they went to a few levels they did, in approaching the themes of death and remembering those who came before you.  

The overall plot is rather predictable, and most of the narrative surprises are foreshadowed so far in advance that they lack any sort of surprise, but it doesn't take away from the emotional core and execution from many of the scenes.  Beyond that, the animation is vibrant and full of life, it really pulls you into this world of the dead.  It's a blast to watch, with a bit of humor, some fun music (Un Poco Loco and Remember Me), and it's rather frenetic in its energy and pace.  It sometimes feels a little too fast moving, but it is an animation, and an already fairly lengthy one at that.  It also may just be me, but it felt like the whole "Salud" plot point felt like it was stolen straight from Breaking Bad (just obviously watered down on the gruesomeness of the murder), however it was still an effective plot point (plus it's one of the few outright murders in an animation).

I really enjoyed it, and the ending did make me feel a little.  It's not a masterpiece like Inside Out, but it's still the second best Pixar film of the decade, right behind it.

A-

• Like 1

Coco is a new classic. Pixar does it again. Better than Inside Out!

The new FROZEN SHORT IS ABSOLUTE GARBAGE. OH MY GOD! AND I SAY THAT AS A FROZEN FAN.

Was the short suppose to be funny or heartwarming because it failed on both accounts. IT JUST KEPT GOING AND GOING AND GOING!tucci.png

• Like 1

I didnt think it was possible for pixar to present me with a film that could rival their old ones anymore. Toy Story, all the way through Toy Story 3 was non-stop perfection and I love every one of them (even cars isn't all that bad). Since then Ive certainly still liked all their films, but aside from Inside Out none of them have reached pixars previous heights (and even that one I still rank most if old pixar above it).

But Coco was incredible. I was always intrigued by it since the trailers and I was expecting it to be pretty good but I didn't expect it to be anywhere near what it was. Its one of the best animated films I've ever seen and a serious contender for the best pixar film. 

Even though it's sometimes predictable it never seems to matter. It's gorgeous, has great humor, one of the most real stories I've seen pixar tell, and no animated film has made me feel so much since Up. I don't know if it's because I have my own 7-month old little girl now, but I've never cried at a movie so much before.

A+++

And a side note: 20 reviews and 100% A's... Pretty good =P

• Like 2

1 minute ago, cannastop said:

Sorry to rain on everyone's parade, but how did Hector not disappear right when Coco died?

My guess is that the rest of the family remembered him through his letters, even if most of them weren't alive to know him in life. & it's not really stated when she died. It could have been a week before the next Day of the Dead.

• Like 2

Um, Coco didn't die that night/day.

Plus, Miguel is back in the land of the living.

Anyway, fantastic movie. Shows that Pixar still do have the ability to pull out a gem, it's been a pretty barren decade for them.

Most of the story and twists were predictable but the emotional core so strong it didn't matter. Plus, it'll probably hold up better too in this case.

They should excise the Olaf short. Cringeworthy. I felt embarrassed for the Frozen team and their characters. Reminded me a bit of Mater in Cars 2. What a misfire.

• Like 3