Grade it  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

I loved it. The movie is breathe taking and emotional. The last act I think I cried the whole time. The music was great. The only thing is frozen short I did not like.  I do not know if was because of the shirt but I found the first 20 minuets it so somewhat dull. 

A-

On 11/29/2017 at 7:22 PM, cannastop said:

Sorry to rain on everyone's parade, but how did Hector not disappear right when Coco died?

The dead survive by having their story told by the living. He's able to survive, at the very least because of Coco telling the story about him. that lets those who are living have a direct memory of him. (If I understand that half tossed away line in the middle of the film.)

Better question. How does Hector have a photograph of his living self in the Land of the Dead?

Such a beautiful movie. It had me balling my eyes out for the last 30 mins. Definitely my favourite movie of 2017 and my fav pixar movie since Ratatouille.

The Frozen short was trash. 22 mins of pure hell. It felt like it lasted an eternity.

• Like 1

My first Pixar in theaters since Inside Out and I'm so glad it was. This thing had me within the first two minutes. It quickly stirred up some family/heritage feelings I've never quite felt before. My great-grandmother was from Spain and lived with us until she died when I was fairly young. She spoke very little English and as soon as I saw Coco in the wheelchair, I was suddenly five years old with her again. I didn't grow up speaking Spanish, but my mother has used phrases like "Callate la boca" and "Dame un beso" my whole life. 

From the very start, I could understand how awesome it must be for Hispanic families to see this together. To finally see and hear themselves onscreen. On that front alone, it's terrific. As others have said, the story beats are a tad predictable but who cares when it nails the emotional beats so well? And the colors....MY GOD, THE COLORS. This has gotta be the most visually stunning animated film I've ever seen.

Yeah, I'm a fan.

• Like 9

10 minutes ago, RichWS said:

My first Pixar in theaters since Inside Out and I'm so glad it was. This thing had me within the first two minutes. It quickly stirred up some family/heritage feelings I've never quite felt before. My great-grandmother was from Spain and lived with us until she died when I was fairly young. She spoke very little English and as soon as I saw Coco in the wheelchair, I was suddenly five years old with her again. I didn't grow up speaking Spanish, but my mother has used phrases like "Callate la boca" and "Dame un beso" my whole life. 

From the very start, I could understand how awesome it must be for Hispanic families to see this together. To finally see and hear themselves onscreen. On that front alone, it's terrific. As others have said, the story beats are a tad predictable but who cares when it nails the emotional beats so well? And the colors....MY GOD, THE COLORS. This has gotta be the most visually stunning animated film I've ever seen.

Yeah, I'm a fan.

Image result for yay gif

• Like 1

3 hours ago, John Marston said:

Loved it by the end 

but who thought it was obvious Cruz was going to be like Muntz from Up? Lol

It was pretty obvious, but at least here it (if indirectly) puts the action of the plot into effect, particularly the ban on music. 

This was such a lovely movie. Visually dazzling, with so many gorgeous colors (I regret missing this in 3D) and wonderful production design, but while the emotional and plot beats should seem familiar by Pixar standards, they feel fresh and exciting. Probably top 5 Pixar for here.

But man, what was Disney thinking not just airing that Olaf thing on TV? I saw the movie without the "short", and even then it felt pretty long (but always perfectly paced.)

Pixar has often tackled mortality within their films, be it growing old or dealing with loss, but none of them have taken on such themes with such vigor as Coco does. By making their film finally actually feature dead characters, the deep humanity often found in Pixar films comes to life stronger than ever before. The Dante-esque tale of Miguel resonates in a truly delightful and emotionally affecting way.

Moreover though, the tone of Coco doesn't feel very Pixar-like or Disney, for that matter. Unkrich's direction has clearly evolved (and working on an original work certainly helps too) and although this is just as poignant as Pixar's best, it never loses the unique magic that makes it really stick out.

All the characters are empathetic, with Hector being a clear stand-out. Miguel also is really neat, feeling like a real kid more than most child protagonists do in animated films. The animation is gorgeous and the story uses its setting to its full potential. If it sounds like I'm being vague about why I loved Coco, it's because it's really worth seeing and having your ideas about it blown away. The marketing on it seems to sell it as "your yearly Pixar movie" but it's more than that. Coco is a magnificent film, tear-jerking and powerful in the best way. I'll go more in-depth when I get around to rewatching it in the next few weeks, but for now, it's just a spectacularly incredible animated work. Wow. A

• Like 2

One of Pixar's finest masterpieces. There are small quibbles here and there, but none of that matters because how real these characters are and how humanity can be found within this tale. An emotional rollercoaster and an utterly beautiful film. Easily one of the best of the year and a future animated classic. It'll will rightfully be remembered and cherished by generations to come. A+

• Like 1

On 12/29/2017 at 10:14 PM, Poe Blankeron said:

One of Pixar's finest masterpieces. There are small quibbles here and there, but none of that matters because how real these characters are and how humanity can be found within this tale. An emotional rollercoaster and an utterly beautiful film. Easily one of the best of the year and a future animated classic. It'll will rightfully be remembered and cherished by generations to come. A+

So, about that nitpick? :)

• Like 2
  • ...wtf 1

5 hours ago, Sal said:

So, about that nitpick? :)

i posted in the BOD thread. If anyone wants to read me ridiculously gush over it more, I wrote a 3000+ word "review" of it on Letterboxd that really gets to the heart of why I love this movie. If you don't wanna read it though, I totally understand lol, it's way too long

• Like 1

I saw this over a month ago and already posted my thoughts on the regular Coco box office thread but I'll go into more detail here.

I'll start with my con: Coco's plot is one of the more predictable ones in recent memory for a Pixar film. There's a lot of beats that this one follows, some of the intentional surprises are somewhat ruined slightly as a result, and it isn't as risky as I'd like it to be.

That being said, that one con can be overlooked for me since Coco's plot, while safe, works wonderfully and has a lot of heart to it, and that is more important to me. The film is paced a lot slower than most Pixar films, but it takes its time to develop all these characters and to build the relationships between them. Couple that with what is the best a Pixar film has ever looked and sounded (THESE SONGS ARE SO GOOD) as well the great deal of respect that this film has towards Mexican culture and the highly emotional last 15 minutes and you get one of the best Pixar films... ever. A/A+ 

If you told me I would get mad at an acclaimed Pixar joint, I wouldn’t have believed you.

At first, I thought, this is a very silly concept; entire generations of music-hating people because someone, someone who they never knew in fact, abandoned them? It makes no sense.

But, as the movie shift gears during the transition between the nonsensical world of living to the tediously wondrous world of the dead, puzzlement is replaced by indifference, which let’s be honest is the worst.

Coco pretty much becomes a WDA product Slight in substance and absolutely in love with superficial matters, filled with plot beats so cliche that makes you eye-roll.

Then, indifference transforms into rage. The Only Family Matters lesson is cute, in a vacuum, but when you start to think about how it is played in the movie, you see something insidiously entrenched underneath. Giving Up Your Aspirations and Desires is the right path, this movie argues, family knows best absolutely. Coco tries to defuse that seed by letting our protagonist, Miguel, do his music, but the toxic message remains intact there since his family doesn’t actually learn anything.

Also, why is the film dazzled by what seems a rather cruel world?

4/10

Edited by Goffe

2 minutes ago, Goffe said:

At first, I couldn't get past the silliness of the story. Entire generations of one family get upset when they hear music because someone (they never knew I might add) abandoned them ages ago?

But once we enter the world of the dead I shifted my status to total indifference. Coco starts to resemble more a Disney animation than a Pixar one. Fascinated by the superficial aspects of the premise, by-the-numbers plot beats and slight in substance. 

Then there's an insidiously entrenched message of conformism, giving up on your aspirations and desires, your true self, hidden under the seemingly harmless "Only family matters" message that takes shape towards the third act. Sure, the movie tries to defuse that side of the message by letting Miguel be a musician and giving Coco that moving moment at the end where everyone goes 'aaaawwwn' but no one in Miguel's family actually learns anything. People who leave their families to pursue their dream = bad; people who obey and stay together to their family = good. 

Also, the movie being dazzled by what seems a rather cruel world.

4/10

Image result for walking away gif

• Like 1