kayumanggi

FANTASTIC BEASTS: THE CRIMES OF GRINDELWALD | 495.3 M overseas ● 654.9 M worldwide | Trans Rights are Human Right

5 hours ago, TimmyRiggins said:

Yeah, it's ridiculous, it didn't kill the interest. Some markets had bad WOM, others had good WOM. A lot of fans are very excited about the third film. And that third act really does a great job in making you want (unless you don't like the film at all) to see what comes next, right away. It wasn't "really badly" received, RT is one thing, it's at 53 on MT, it was mixed. Yates said the third would be a lot lighter and simpler, market it well, maybe it decreases a bit (as COS did from PS once again, or FK from JW, TLJ from TFA, etc, etc), but the legs will probably be better. Ultimately, and I love TCOG, it being more divisive and laying the groundwork for the sequels will pay off. 

I can the fourth and fifth ones getting back to FBAWTFT levels, possibly more, similar to DH Part 2

yeah because everyone is so excited for more Credence 

3 hours ago, John Marston said:

yeah because everyone is so excited for more Credence 

Well he has a new name now and that name is great for new theories about him,Grindelwald and Dumbledore (the two most interesting characters). If the script of FB3 isn't very dense and the focus is on his new identity it could be very good

I started this comparison chart when the movie came out (click on image to enlarge):

asdasdasdasdasdasd.jpg

For the US and OS columns you have the weekend gross (green and blue) and in the line below the total and the weekend drop.

For the WW column I put the combined total (pink) and in the line below the weekly gross and the weekly drop.

As you can see, for the past three weekends FB2 OS drops have been better than FB's, a good sign after the mediocre 2nd-3rd-4th weeks, when the WW gap went from +33,8m to -111,6m. In the following weeks (5th to 7th) it "only" lost an additional 35m for a global 146m difference. 

In the end, FB2 will have grossed at least 165m less than FB1.

Edited by Ed Raven
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The three other films will do just fine, enough with the negativity while casually all the factors and the context behind the box office here. And yeah it's still kicking in Japan, Germany (where it passed FBAWTFT and still has some fuel left) and France. 

Edited by TimmyRiggins

Missing 675 was something folks didn't see till a couple of weeks of release I think. Before the numbers from Japan it seemed 650 was tough but Japan's over-performance will take it pass 655. Nothing much to celebrate though, it's doing 10m more than expected in Japan and that shows in the WW expectations off late going from 640-650 to 650-660. JL like ww but with smaller budget (200+ vs 250+) is better and hope they fix the flaws in the next part which should be the last of the franchise.

Edited by a2k

11 hours ago, a2k said:

Missing 675 was something folks didn't see till a couple of weeks of release I think. Before the numbers from Japan it seemed 650 was tough but Japan's over-performance will take it pass 655. Nothing much to celebrate though, it's doing 10m more than expected in Japan and that shows in the WW expectations off late going from 640-650 to 650-660. JL like ww but with smaller budget (200+ vs 250+) is better and hope they fix the flaws in the next part which should be the last of the franchise.

For the last time, it's five films. TCOG takes place in 1927, the third skips a few years according to Miller, you still have to get to 1945 which is when Dumbledore fights Grindelwald and wins. The actors were signed on for four, Jo is the one who said it was five. Those who say it should end in 3 don't seem to care about proper storytelling. It's by design and if you want to properly investigate how Dumbledore, Grindelwald, Newt, Credence and co grow and their relationships evolve while also covering that time span, you need five films. 

Edited by TimmyRiggins

2 hours ago, TimmyRiggins said:

Those who say it should end in 3 don't seem to care about proper storytelling. It's by design and if you want to properly investigate how Dumbledore, Grindelwald, Newt, Credence and co grow and their relationships evolve while also covering that time span, you need five films. 

That is fine but the third one can't fall further, and ideally should increase (not easy for a sequel), or the last two will never happen. And then you have to wonder if Warner and Rowling want to take that risk and leave a HP spin-off unfinished.

They might want to end most of the plotlines in FB3, while leaving open the possibility for more if it is more successful.

4 hours ago, MrGlass2 said:

That is fine but the third one can't fall further, and ideally should increase (not easy for a sequel), or the last two will never happen. And then you have to wonder if Warner and Rowling want to take that risk and leave a HP spin-off unfinished.

They might want to end most of the plotlines in FB3, while leaving open the possibility for more if it is more successful.

I feel they need to include the big duel in the movie else the hook isn't there. Don't know how many folks will return cause 'answers are given'.

Look, POA decreased from COS too, and GOF recovered. It's very possible FB3 decreases at first but considering Yates said it'd also be a much simpler and lighter film, it's very possible that the reception will be better and the legs will make up for it. 

This is a whole universe, it's not just about the films, it's also about home video sales, merchandising and all of it trickles down (whether it's increased book/screenplay sales for FBAWTFT with TCOG out, or TCOG, or other making of books, Harry Potter home video sales, toys, etc etc). 

It's about doing it proper, even with TCOG decreasing, they'll still make money. This is the Wizarding World, so I feel it is safe in that regard. FB is never going to be as popular as HP but it is the same universe. I can easily see the last two increasing in a Deathly Hallows Part 2 way with the duel (and I'm sure many other things) being a BIG event

Edited by TimmyRiggins
  • Like 1

On 1/8/2019 at 11:02 AM, TimmyRiggins said:

This is a whole universe, it's not just about the films, it's also about home video sales, merchandising and all of it trickles down (whether it's increased book/screenplay sales for FBAWTFT with TCOG out, or TCOG, or other making of books, Harry Potter home video sales, toys, etc etc). 

Like Cars.