kayumanggi

FANTASTIC BEASTS: THE CRIMES OF GRINDELWALD | 495.3 M overseas ● 654.9 M worldwide | Trans Rights are Human Right

20 hours ago, Mr Impossible said:

I think all they need to do is make more quality films and the box office will increase. Simple as that.

I was watching this last one wondering where it all went wrong. 3rd act had the steepest drop of any I've seen. So many random revelations, changing of sides, and deaths with characters who were barely developed to such a point.

Not necessairly quality...just go back to the predominant Pokemon theme.

18 hours ago, 2kt09 said:

I was watching this last one wondering where it all went wrong. 3rd act had the steepest drop of any I've seen. So many random revelations, changing of sides, and deaths with characters who were barely developed to such a point.

Not necessairly quality...just go back to the predominant Pokemon theme.

It wasn't random at all. The third act is spectacular imo. It didn't go "wrong", some people like it, love it, some don't. 

5 hours ago, TimmyRiggins said:

It wasn't random at all. The third act is spectacular imo. It didn't go "wrong", some people like it, love it, some don't. 

It's a lot to take in. It's like we're already in the beginning of the end phase as this was practically Part 1.

Edited by 2kt09

4 hours ago, 2kt09 said:

It's a lot to take in. It's like we're already in the beginning of the end phase as this was practically Part 1.

Depends if you're a fan or just a casual viewer it seems. I'm a massive Potter and FB fan, and imo, the film can easily be followed (presuming you've seen FBAWTFT which is expected obviously) up to the tomb scene where it gets very inside baseball. Yates said the third would be a lot simpler and lighter. Ultimately, TCOG has to do a lot of heavy lifting that will undoubtedly (considering Jo's track record on Potter) pay off in the films to come. 

2 hours ago, TimmyRiggins said:

Depends if you're a fan or just a casual viewer it seems. I'm a massive Potter and FB fan, and imo, the film can easily be followed (presuming you've seen FBAWTFT which is expected obviously) up to the tomb scene where it gets very inside baseball. Yates said the third would be a lot simpler and lighter. Ultimately, TCOG has to do a lot of heavy lifting that will undoubtedly (considering Jo's track record on Potter) pay off in the films to come. 

FBAWTFT had a tomb scene? The tomb scene here is where it got very muddled.

I have no idea why the 3rd movie would become a lot lighter after this.

Simpler is fine...but really just make it as briskly paced as the first 2/3s of TCoG.

11 minutes ago, Ed Raven said:

"Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes Of Grindelwald generated an estimated $2.7m from 52 for $489.3m, and $647.5m global."

Source

~655 total. Japan over-performed by 5-10 compared to expectations else 650+ was looking iffy.

Theatrical returns could be around 275-280

159 * 0.55 + 55 * 0.25 + 440 * 0.40

= 87.45 + 13.75 + 176

= 277

prod budget was 200+.

JL with 659 ww had approx returns of

229 * 0.55 + 105 * 0.25 + 325 * 0.40 

= 125.95 + 26.25 + 130

= 282

prod budget was 250+. Deadline and some other sources reported losses of 50-100.

JL had higher back-end costs I guess. Marketing and release costs wouldn't be much different.

Edited by a2k

15 minutes ago, a2k said:

~655 total. Japan over-performed by 5-10 compared to expectations else 650+ was looking iffy.

Theatrical returns could be around 275-280

159 * 0.55 + 55 * 0.25 + 440 * 0.40

= 87.45 + 13.75 + 176

= 277

prod budget was 200+.

JL with 659 ww had approx returns of

229 * 0.55 + 105 * 0.25 + 325 * 0.40 

= 125.95 + 26.25 + 130

= 282

prod budget was 250+. Deadline and some other sources reported losses of 50-100.

JL had higher back-end costs I guess. Marketing and release costs wouldn't be much different.

Japan is actually going to do less than expectations since it looks like it will stop before 60M which was the expectation since day 1 of release there. 

The late "overperformance" is all down to Germany and France 

6 minutes ago, salvador-232 said:

Japan is actually going to do less than expectations since it looks like it will stop before 60M which was the expectation since day 1 of release there. 

The late "overperformance" is all down to Germany and France 

If I remember correctly it was expected to be down 15% from FB1's 63 for 53-54 considering every Potter franchise film has shown about that drop from the predecessor except DH2. FB1 was itself down 16% from DH2. Add in the bad reception and drops in other markets could have been down by 20%. I haven't looked at local currency to be honest. Your are right it didn't over-perform much in Japan but about 5 I would say. Germany and France also helped a lot in pushing it towards 650+ in the end. I remember number as low as 635 ww being considered at one point.

Edited by a2k

22 minutes ago, a2k said:

If I remember correctly it was expected to be down 15% from FB1's 63 for 53-54 considering every Potter franchise film has shown about that drop from the predecessor except DH2. FB1 was itself down 16% from DH2. Add in the bad reception and drops in other markets could have been down by 20%. I haven't looked at local currency to be honest. Your are right it didn't over-perform much in Japan but about 5 I would say. Germany and France also helped a lot in pushing it towards 650+ in the end. I remember number as low as 635 ww being considered at one point.

Yeah, but check the Japan thread. After OW and the second weekend drop it was clear it was headed to 60M/7B yen. 

Although now that I check while it has fallen behind in Yen the ER is doing its magic in dollars so maybe it can reach 60. 

I don't think this lost money BTW, Justice League budget was closer to 300M with reshoots and whatnot and Deadline reported 60M loses I think. 

• Thanks 1

This movie is screaming for a final updated $500m OS total. It won't happen, I know... but it would put into perspective all the "series in trouble" talk ;) 

Domestic b.o. was disappointing to say the least, but look at that OS figure... even with the problematic world of mouth of the unsatisfied fanbase, it still managed to gross (almost) half a billion. 

COG's WW result underlines even more the unexpected success of FB's first installment.