DeeCee

THE JUSTICE LEAGUE (and The Star and Wonder) WEEKEND THREAD | PREMIUM ACCOUNT SALE NOW LIVE | Weekend Actuals ~ JL 93.84M, W 27.54M, T:R 21.66M, DH2 14.43M, MOTOE 13.80M, TS 9.81M

Yeah, this looked like a BvS sequel.

Then you have bad publicity from Batfleck, switching directors, and RottenTomatoes and people penny pinching for the holidays.

Not to mention Ragnarok stealing all the November superhero thunder.

Boom, that's how you get the perfect shit-storm.

• Like 4
  • Disbelief 1

9 minutes ago, a2knet said:

I doubt if it will match Thor3's preview to OW multiplier, mostly because of MCU strong Sats and that Thor3 was no slouch in the wom department. But even with Thor3 multiplier, 13-14m previews (using a higher number than Deadline) give 110-119m ow. But giving a lesser multiplier than Thor3 115m seems to be around the most it could do realistically as of now unless the previews are wrong by a big margin like it happened with SMH.

With 115m ow it would need 2.60x for 300m dom.

We both know this is gonna be more front-loaded than Dolly Parton wearing a Flavor Flav clock.

• Haha 2
  • Astonished 1

5 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

A perfect example of why making rushing and making bad films is a poor financial decision long term.

I doubt that at that level that making bad films is ever a decision.

On some pocket, rushing and making bad films (horror, sharknado, etc...) is sometime a decision (more will make a lot of movie and we are ok that most of them will not be good) that can work.

Looking forward to MOTOE's numbers. It has held well over Mon-Wed. Even Wed managed to hit the 2m mark. If it falls 45% in the 2nd weekend like Pro.BO is expecting for 15.7m weekend and 53.7m cume, I think it has a chance at 100m while 90m+ becomes very likely.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Johnny Tran said:

I realize that heads already rolled at Warner Bros.  but I think if this number holds up then heads should roll again.   This would be maybe not the biggest bomb but definitely the most disappointing box office result of the last twenty years. 

What?

The Hobbit, Mocking Jay 1 and 2, Fantastic Beasts etc were all similar fashion. BVS was always going to steal novelty factor buzz & then add in 1) that everybody hated BVS and SS, 2) mid November instead of summer, 3) Thor break out, 4) not great reviews. Boom. Barring a very leggy run, this should be end of Batfleck & start of several lucrative solo series.

Really should wait a good 7-8 years for the series to play their course and they reintroduce Batman solo. Batman Begins would be near 20 years old by this point anyway and the character ready for a return.,

• Like 1

Side note: this was the last movie of the year that I was invested in as far as box office goes.  Star Wars result isn't that interesting to me.  I know it's going to make a ton of money, it'll be a little lower than TFA and that's it.  Nothing really shocking is on the table. 

1 minute ago, Johnny Tran said:

Whedon really does deserve a lot of the blame though. His fingerprints are all over the film and critics SHIT ON IT.  Which means they shit in part on Whedon.  

I'm not sure that'd be the case.  I don't personally care for a lot of Whedon's work (he's especially bad writing women or people who aren't white guys in general) but reviews were just as bad with Snyder's films and at the very least the positive aspect of most of the reviews is that the tone is lighter or more fun in these than in the previous two Snyder directed movies).  The individual character personalities fact that it's 'fun' is apparently the only saving grace with most critics and likely will be with the audience too.