DeeCee

THE JUSTICE LEAGUE (and The Star and Wonder) WEEKEND THREAD | PREMIUM ACCOUNT SALE NOW LIVE | Weekend Actuals ~ JL 93.84M, W 27.54M, T:R 21.66M, DH2 14.43M, MOTOE 13.80M, TS 9.81M

Just now, Jordanstine said:

But JL won't be labeled as a "flop" right?

It'll still be barely profitable if it crosses $700m...?

Nah b, movie that costs 300M and will likely have to be dragged kicking and screaming across 200M DOM is a flop

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, a2knet said:

JL was already scheduled to start production before BVS released. So that opportunity was already lost. But the faith they had in Snyder to allow that scheduling and give him BVS, JL1, JL2 despite the divisiveness of MOS (it did well at the bo no doubt) and looking at his bo history with Sucker Punch, Owls and Watchmen, is pretty surprising.

Yeah, I guess that's what I mean. What exactly about MoS's reception (it did ok at the BO and the less said about reviews the better) made WB think this is the guy we need to entrust with 3 enormous, franchise-defining movies... I'll never know.

Edited by Hatebox
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Beauty & The Beast wasn't a big surprise.

Fate & The Furious had it's own downturn as well though that was expected

True. But both of them out-opening Justice League (by a huge margin for BATB, and some several millions for F8) was uncalled for by some people here.

3 minutes ago, TheRedRabbit said:

I'm curious as to the effect of Coco's Wednesday open on JL's Thanksgiving GA prospects.  Loads of middle-aged men like me that have been teased with a JL film since uni that'll be taking the little ones to that instead of going to see what seems to be a middling-at-best ensemble CBM.

As am I. I see Wonder holding pretty well next week. That sounds like the perfect type of movie for that time. And if Coco stays in the 90s on RT, I just can't see it doing that bad due to the Pixar/Disney knock out.

So far that does not look like a Good Dinosaur or Cars 3 or Monsters University situation. It looks more like Inside Out.

Wonder woman didn't make people not turn out for Justice League. It had great reviews, long legs, and ended up over almost all other superhero movies. Let's not waste time pretending otherwise.

If something caused JL to decline it was the terribly reviewed, underperforming, unprecedentedly terribly legged batman vs superman

2 hours ago, somebody85 said:

DC fans are so touchy man. 

"Don't understand these reviews at all...This movie is great! It's as though these critics wish DC to fail miserably, as though their allegiance is with Marvel. And Joss Whedon? No thanks to this mole! DC, please don't let this traitor direct Batgirl. Steppenwolf, the worst comic villain in history? Joss Whedon, you sir are a mole! You just don't want JL to succeed, making sure that it won't touch your Avengers legacy. Sure, you might have it your way, but make no mistake about it, karma will come and sooner or later the DCEU will pick up pace full steam ahead and that legacy of yours will be history!" - 5 stars

It's pretty much either 4 or 5 stars or 1 star and a half, etc. A lot of comments bashing critics and reviews pointing out it's flaws....and still giving it 5 stars.

Scrolling through, it really does remind me of the reviews Transformers used to get. 

What is this from?  Imdb?

6 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

JL - Gary Clark Jr. - Come Together (Beatles Cover) - it's been all over alternative stations here. 

The song - 

"Everybody knows"...

is also on a lot of people's playlist.

Edited by TigerPaw

5 minutes ago, TheRedRabbit said:

I'm curious as to the effect of Coco's Wednesday open on JL's Thanksgiving GA prospects.  Loads of middle-aged men like me that have been teased with a JL film since uni that'll be taking the little ones to that instead of going to see what seems to be a middling-at-best ensemble CBM.

Honestly I think 2 films can co-exist over thanksgiving. And with nothing after that till Star Wars, I think both movies will play together fine enough.

5 minutes ago, Jordanstine said:

But JL won't be labeled as a "flop" right?

It'll still be barely profitable if it crosses $700m...?

It cost 300m before marketing, it needs to make well over 1 billion in order to be profitable. Right now it looks like it's gonna end up in the 700-750 range. 

2 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

True. But both of them out-opening Justice League (by a huge margin for BATB, and some several millions for F8) was uncalled for by some people here.

A lot of people said JL was doomed after that second weekend drop of BvS came in here. I remember that well.

I guess WW changed that though.

5 hours ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Predicting Aquaman to fail solely because of Justice League is silly. Wonder Woman didn't fail after following the one two punch of SS and BvS. If Aquaman is good and is marketed well it could easily be a hit.

WW had girl power behind it. 

Aquaman will have toxic masculinity. 

Besides, I don't see anyone paying tickets to see discount Kevin Smith swimming. 

1 minute ago, DAJK said:

Honestly I think 2 films can co-exist over thanksgiving. And with nothing after that till Star Wars, I think both movies will play together fine enough.

But now you have Wonder too and that's not going to be something that families rush out and see. It will spread by WOM which seems to be very good right now. So that's 3 movies. 

And if Coco has great rewatchability (and the songs are good), I could see that being a problem too. 

And yeah, they can all co exist but I see JL being the one that takes the greatest hit. 

1 hour ago, Lordmandeep said:

Fast and Furious has a hold on the overseas markets really but we saw with Transformers, it can fade. I think they have like 2-3 films max left out before it crashes and burns imo.

Furious 10 will  be the one where the bottom falls out. I'm already seeing people say "what? ! They're making another! !???!!"