DeeCee

THE JUSTICE LEAGUE (and The Star and Wonder) WEEKEND THREAD | PREMIUM ACCOUNT SALE NOW LIVE | Weekend Actuals ~ JL 93.84M, W 27.54M, T:R 21.66M, DH2 14.43M, MOTOE 13.80M, TS 9.81M

6 minutes ago, Sam said:

Well, it started off so low that the chance for “decent” legs of 2.4-2.5x might be possible? 

possible I think.

- if crowds that want to see wondy but didn't rush to the theaters in ow like what they hear

- 2 hours runtime and better reception could help repeat viewings

- seems more breezier and family friendly than other dceu movies except wondr.

6 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

The pressure for Aquaman to do good just got 1000 times WORSE!

I feel bad for Jason Momoa.

Hey Wonder Woman had the same amount of pressure and that turned out great, thanks to Patty and Gal! Hoepfully James and Jason can do the same!

1 minute ago, Johnny Tran said:

DC's already been down this road once before.  Batman Forever and Batman & Robin were not very well liked at all.  They recovered eventually and The Dark Knight trilogy was a legendary run. They will get it together but this was a tough loss for them to take. There won't be another Justice League movie for years to come.  Maybe a decade. 

I remember seeing Batman: Forever in theaters as a kid in 1995. It was definitely liked (funny that the soundtrack is what a lot of people remember about it the most though now who weren't around for it). All the merchandise carried over into that following school year. Batman & Robin though.....yeah.

• Like 1

Just now, Sam said:

Over/Under Thor: The Dark World?

Ok, I kid I kid.

Enthralled indeed though lol. I’m really curious about the studio report and possible spins that’s coming now.

Someone earlier in the thread said they could see a public divorce between WB and Affleck this week to overshadow the box office takes, and that makes a ton of sense

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

1 minute ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I'm going to wait until I see some Aquaman trailers and marketing before saying it's another Fiasco. 

Another?! it's a first financial fiasco for DCEU.

This is a giant flop. I hope Tsujihara is feeling happiness right now: he cut the movie, changed the director, want more humor. Good work, Kev!

Edited by KeepItU25071906

Just now, KeepItU25071906 said:

This is a giant flop. I hope Tsujihara is feeling happiness right now: he cut the movie, changed the director, want more humor. Good work, Kev!

Are we pretending this would've done better with Snyder and fewer jokes?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

How did Zack Snyder get to make a Justice League movie after that horrible Batman v Superman movie? That's like Joel Schumacher being allowed to do another Batman movie after Batman and Robin. That's like Pitof getting to do another Catwoman movie after Catwoman.

Edited by Zakiyyah6

4 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Are we pretending this would've done better with Snyder?

Yeap.

3 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

How did Zack Snyder get to make a Justice League movie after that horrible Batman v Superman movie?

Good joke. I see you panic around DCEU during several month (even after WW success). Are you not tired?

Edited by KeepItU25071906

Just now, Zakiyyah6 said:

How did Zack Snyder get to make a Justice League movie after that horrible Batman v Superman movie?

Honestly, the whole decision making process at WB regarding Snyder after MoS is baffling.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, a2knet said:

JL was already scheduled to start production before BVS released. So that opportunity was already lost. But the faith they had in Snyder to allow that scheduling and give him BVS, JL1, JL2 despite the divisiveness of MOS (it did well at the bo no doubt) and looking at his bo history with Sucker Punch, Owls and Watchmen, is pretty surprising.

If I recall correctly BvS was finished enough by summer of 2015 to be releasable.    That they watched BvS months before its release and didn't go WTF and yank him off JL well before it was scheduled to film is what's shocking.  Instead they were supposedly giving it a standing ovation.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, DAJK said:

I would go higher for Coco, but the marketing honestly hasn't been up to Disney's standard. I would say that people would just show up for it anyways, but looks what's happening to justice League (and as I've outlined in a few posts I think the terrible marketing has had something to do with it).

I agree that marketing could definitely play an effect but as far as families showing up to the theaters...it seems like a safe bet if the reviews stay high (especially in the 90s) considering it's Pixar. And I could just see that second choice being Wonder if they don't choose that....which doesn't leave a huge audience left over for JL unless repeat viewings are through the roof. I think the demand from the comic book audience will be met this weekend for the most part.

I see JL doing alright but if Coco somehow breaks out too along with Wonder, I could see those holding for awhile. My main issue with Coco is the subject material. Is it appealing enough to the GA? And it was already kind of done a few years ago.

also LOL I just checked my theatre's numbers for tonight. JL is performing like absolute shit it's actually kind of sad and emberassing :(

Including previews, I'd say that a 20M opening day (our equivalent) is the high end. Holy shit, i guess people here were so on the fence about this that they really are going to wait for WOM arent they. Damn. And I thought it would be a busy week.

At least wonder's doing pretty great here. Not sure how to roll the school rental admissions numbers into Friday, because a few more classes added in last minute and I think we ended up with 3 sold out auditoriums rather than 2 for that rental. So without any of those admissions, I'd put it at our equivalent of 8M OD. But those school admissions have to count somewhere, so I'll try and spread them throughout the weekend, so I'll say 9.8-10.5M our equivalent here.

39 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Could JL have a negative effect on Wonder Woman 2?

Heck no! This will be reliant on overseas, if it only makes $200-$205 million in the states. Aquaman does quite strong next year.

Wonder Woman 2 will perform quite well, as it is getting goodwill from its predecessor. And holiday legs, will be quite strong.