DeeCee

THE JUSTICE LEAGUE (and The Star and Wonder) WEEKEND THREAD | PREMIUM ACCOUNT SALE NOW LIVE | Weekend Actuals ~ JL 93.84M, W 27.54M, T:R 21.66M, DH2 14.43M, MOTOE 13.80M, TS 9.81M

2 minutes ago, Chewy said:

All these people blaming the studio for meddling with Snyder and not even mentioning him as a part of the problem, lol

It really is a cult!

Yes they have convinced themselves that if BvS's Extended Cut was released the movie would have had a 90% on Rotten Tomatoes and made 500mil. Instead of the reality that it would have made even less money because it would be a punishing three hours as opposed to a punishing two and a half hours.

Man of Steel wasn't cut and it didn't get good reviews and way underperformed. The Snyder fans continue to ignore those facts.

• Like 2

Just now, Zakiyyah6 said:

Yes they have convinced themselves that if BvS's Extended Cut was released the movie would have had a 90% on Rotten Tomatoes and made 500mil. Instead of the reality that it would have made even less money because it would be a punishing three hours as opposed to a punishing two and a half hours.

Man of Steel wasn't cut and it didn't get good reviews and way underperformed. The Snyder fans continue to ignore those facts.

Man of Steel didn't under perform in the slightest! At our most optimistic, not many realistically thought it would get close to $300m

11 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

It started filming about 2 weeks later.  Very late to pull the plug and we had endless discussions about whether WB should do it.

They’re too desperate to have their own Avengers but they foolishly went ahaead with the idea of BvS, which in itself, is one of the reasons responsible for JL downfall here. You have that one chance at a novelty hook and you blew it early. 

Then the panicking course correction for JL from shorter run time, to “lighter” tone, to bringing Whedon on board scream “let’s ape Marvel (but we actually have no idea what makes Marvel works)” 

• Like 1

Just now, SchumacherFTW said:

Man of Steel didn't under perform in the slightest! At our most optimistic, not many realistically thought it would get close to $300m

Yes it did underperform. The word of mouth was mixed and WB decided not to make a sequel because they were expecting a billion dollars.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Are we pretending this would've done better with Snyder and fewer jokes?

There's a supposed break down of what Whedon contributed v Snyder in the spoilers thread.  It's most of the "connective tissue" (as Roven said) - aka character interactions as well as lot of the humor.  Basically most of the stuff that made the movie reportedly watchable and "fun" - which makes one wonder how bad it was before tinkering and "studio interference".

1 minute ago, somebody85 said:

Right, I meant in the entire global box office. It's definitely great for Brazil.

As for the international numbers, we'll have to wait and see. But there is definitely a downward trend in Australia and several European countries, as well as Korea. For Latin America and other Asian territories (except China, the Philippines and Indonesia, which I think are giving good numbers), I have no idea.

2 minutes ago, Sam said:

They’re too desperate to have their own Avengers but they foolishly went ahaead with the idea of BvS, which in itself, is one of the reasons responsible for JL downfall here. You have that one chance at a novelty hook and you blew it early. 

Then the panicking course correction for JL from shorter run time, to “lighter” tone, to bringing Whedon on board scream “let’s ape Marvel (but we actually have no idea what makes Marvel works)” 

WB recently hired Bendis away from Marvel Comics (after 15 plus years) with the lure of being involved in the movies.  He was on the now disbanded MCU Creative Committee.  Maybe with Whedon they're trying to build their own mini MCU brain trust under I gather Johns.  Though with Whedon snarking about this movie I wonder if he's still involved.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tauren Warlock said:

If JL opens with $94 to 95 million then....

Justice League under Godzilla (2014)

Justice League under FF8

Justice League under Logan

Justice League under Thor: The Dark World

Justice League under Dunkirk!!

It has Thanksgiving week to give it some bounce. 

I don't think under a 2.3x multiplier is probable - so maybe just under Logan and FF8 is on the table

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Sam said:

I can only imagine how thrilled WB must have been when BvS opened so massive, thinking their careless lack of patience and thought was going to payoff with the franchise with such rushed delivery. Then that multi happened. 

Edited by MovieMan89

3 minutes ago, Tauren Warlock said:

Is the $300 million budget for Justice League true?

That is super insane!! total budget could be close to $400 million if it's true. BvS cost $250 million. WB is overspending itself towards bankruptcy.

Oh don't you worry cause "IT got them covered" :hahaha:

Has any movie gone so far below tracking like JL? The only one I can think of is Age of Ultron and that movie still came close to a $200m OW.

Empire City had been warning us but I'm not sure anyone knew it would perform this badly. I also mentioned that the hype for the movie was very very muted (I still feel Superman should have featured in the marketing) but from what I've seen so far (Latin America aside) it's just not blowing up. Honestly, I've never seen a movie with this much behind and riding on it fall so badly.  I'm hoping that word of mouth will carry it to another strong weekend next weekend or else WB will be looking at a severe failure.

Regarding the shared universe thing, I think WB should simply concentrate on developing strong solo projects and only tenuously tie them together. WB has shown in the past (and this year even) that they can make critically and commercially successful superhero movies and they should simply focus on that.  Shared universes shouldn't ever be the end goal for producing movies.

• Like 1