DeeCee

THE JUSTICE LEAGUE (and The Star and Wonder) WEEKEND THREAD | PREMIUM ACCOUNT SALE NOW LIVE | Weekend Actuals ~ JL 93.84M, W 27.54M, T:R 21.66M, DH2 14.43M, MOTOE 13.80M, TS 9.81M

3 hours ago, DAJK said:

I would go higher for Coco, but the marketing honestly hasn't been up to Disney's standard. I would say that people would just show up for it anyways, but looks what's happening to justice League (and as I've outlined in a few posts I think the terrible marketing has had something to do with it).

I’ve been saying this for the past few weeks. There’s a problem when your final trailer with fanfare has less then 700K views in the span of two weeks. Coco needs to turn it around but it seems like they are, my theater jumped on Tuesday previews.

56 minutes ago, SteveJaros said:

I'm not sure that a $100m DOM opening is best described as Americans "turning their back" on the DCU?  

I think WW showed that people aren’t exactly done with the DCEU but between BvS crappy legs and now this abysmal opening, I think it’s safe to assume that people are done with Zach Snyder’s vision for the DCEU. 

Just now, Nova said:

Deadline brought JL down to $93M. How much lower do you think this can go? Right now, I would not be shocked if it misses $90M. 

I can’t believe I am saying that right now. Like there was a time when $90-93M would have been numbers we’d be talking about in regards to Justice League’s opening day not opening weekend. 

Adjusted for inflation, an OW of under 90M would mean its opening under behemethos like How the Grinch Sole Christmas, Hulk (2003), X-Men (2000)!!!!!!!!!, Star Trek 09.

Hell, it would miss the Top 100 OW of all time adjusted. it would be even lower than the OW of Batman in 1989 :hahaha::hahaha::hahaha:and that openend in nearly 2000 theaters less :hahaha:

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 2

This RT stunt really crushed JL. If the rotten score just came out normally I don't think it would've been anything like this impact.  Many are under the impression this movie is so bad that WB was trying to hide it.  I think that made it much bigger...ouch

• Like 1

Much better for OE and DH. Still wouldn't call them great holds, but they're decent enough.

Bad Moms is having some niiiiiice legs.

Great expansion for Lady Bird.

Decent for Three Billboards, though I wish it broke a 20k PTA.

Forget what I said about Roman Israel making close to 22M domestically; this shit will be lucky to make 10M once it expands :rofl: 

A Justice League movie opening to just a little over $90M. Yikes. This is an all time epic fail right here.

It's too bad he hasn't been forced out under better circumstances, but I'm curious about what Snyder will do from here now that WB's baffling love affair with him is unquestionably over and low-budget projects are his future. Heck, it should've been after Sucker Punch (a passion project of his that was a critically-reviled bomb and missed the boat as even a cult classic).

16 minutes ago, Rumpot said:

This RT stunt really crushed JL. If the rotten score just came out normally I don't think it would've been anything like this impact.  Many are under the impression this movie is so bad that WB was trying to hide it.  I think that made it much bigger...ouch

It was tracking at $100-120m from 3 weeks out up until this week when tracking reported around $110m with one trade having it down to $105m.  That was pre RT stunt.

The only way the RT score would have had any sizable impact is if it had been very good.  Then it might have influenced walk up biz.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Adjusted for inflation, an OW of under 90M would mean its opening under behemethos like How the Grinch Sole Christmas, Hulk (2003), X-Men (2000)!!!!!!!!!, Star Trek 09.

Hell, it would miss the Top 100 OW of all time adjusted. it would be even lower than the OW of Batman in 1989 :hahaha::hahaha::hahaha:and that openend in nearly 2000 theaters less :hahaha:

Excellent point. And let me just add that I don't think it will have anywhere close to the legs of Batman '89 or How the Grinch Stole Christmas.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Nova said:

I think WW showed that people aren’t exactly done with the DCEU but between BvS crappy legs and now this abysmal opening, I think it’s safe to assume that people are done with Zach Snyder’s vision for the DCEU. 

Again, even if it comes in at $95m DOM this weekend, it's hard to call that 'abysmal' by anything but the most outlandish standards.  As for BvS, it did $330/$875, again only not a big success if judged against the Avengers and Jurassic World, which strikes me as kind of crazy. Too much negative hyperbole here.

As for Snyder, WB might be done with him but I doubt the public is even aware that he's the director of this film. Well, partial director. 

1 minute ago, moah said:

Is the DCEU gonna be over now? Like, does this offset all the good done by Wonder Woman, or will they simply just keep her separate?

Snyder DCEU is all but buried. WW is a completely seperate story of success that will continue with the sequel.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, moah said:

Is the DCEU gonna be over now? Like, does this offset all the good done by Wonder Woman, or will they simply just keep her separate?

My guess is that there won't be team-up movies for quite some time. We'll see how Aquaman does next Christmas.

8 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

It was tracking at $100-120m from 3 weeks out up until this week when tracking reported around $110m with one trade having it down to $105m.  That was pre RT stunt.

The only way the RT score would have had any sizable impact is if it had been very good.  Then it might have influenced walk up biz.

Even with tracking at 110M this is well below that.  I'm not trying to prove it vs tracking, but the talking point out there of "Warner Brothers manipulating RT to try and save JL" is going to sway people. A rotten score is something we see all the time, no big deal but I think this hugely negative, viral, and unique situation as it is being perceived is more toxic. 

This likely kills any plans for a JL sequel for like the next 6 years.

Aquaman is done filming and is coming out next year no matter what.

Shazam is getting ready to film. They even cast the lead actor and all that.

Wonder Woman 2 is a go absolutely.

Edited by Mojoguy

1 minute ago, SteveJaros said:

Again, even if it comes in at $95m DOM this weekend, it's hard to call that 'abysmal' by anything but the most outlandish standards.  As for BvS, it did $330/$875, again only not a big success if judged against the Avengers and Jurassic World, which strikes me as kind of crazy. Too much negative hyperbole here.

As for Snyder, WB might be done with him but I doubt the public is even aware that he's the director of this film. Well, partial director. 

$95M for a JUSTICE LEAGUE movie is abysmal. It’s a disaster. If you think otherwise, then you’re being downright delusional. 

BvS was a success financially. No one said otherwise. But we are talking about the legs the movie had which again were awful. 

• Like 10

38 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

This was so accurate, someone should do another lol 

The fading out of the line "Best case looks like a 34%" is brilliant. Hilter had to slowly accept the painful fact of BvS's total failure, and the fading out matches the slow acceptance perfectly. In fact I would love to see that fading out take a bit more time.

Edited by vc2002
  • Like 1

I'm really not surprised about JL opening. That was in the cards due to BvS reception and lack of opinion-changing reviews and previews. Thor Ragnarok came on heels of 2 shitty movies (TDW and AoU) but the previews were so good and had reviews to match that people forgot about those turkeys and just went for Ragnarok as a standalone. JL had nothing about its trailers/spots/marketing to convert the skeptics. yes, WB, pushing WW at the front didn't cover up for shitty previews. And then the reviews sealed the deal.

I wish this bucked the trend but sadly didn't. We need variety of SH movies - Fox excels at R ones, MCU at funny ones - so hopefully WB finds its footing and gives us something that's neither MCU model nor Fox model. They had a great run with Nolan trilogy and WW so they can do it but it takes time. I blame rushing into cashing in on Avengers. While MCU carefully planned their roll out for years, WB wanted everything to happen instantly. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 4

Also, in addition to Wonder breaking out, Lady Bird is still kicking ass. A $10K PTA is pretty sweet (and more than half as much as Three Billboards did in less than 1/4th as many theaters). This is shaping up to be a solid breakout.

Roman J. Israel, Esq. is doomed in wide release next week. It's gonna be Denzel's lowest-grossing film since...1992's Mississippi Masala. Ouch.