DeeCee

THE JUSTICE LEAGUE (and The Star and Wonder) WEEKEND THREAD | PREMIUM ACCOUNT SALE NOW LIVE | Weekend Actuals ~ JL 93.84M, W 27.54M, T:R 21.66M, DH2 14.43M, MOTOE 13.80M, TS 9.81M

30 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

To be honest I think the number has to be higher, like this undoubtedly the biggest underperformance since Mj2.

Which similarly had a 330m grossing precedessor with a very mixed reception

Edited by XO21

Between Roman Israel's weak audience score and a low TC, I really think Lady Bird might be able to hit 2k theaters next week. The Man Who Invented Christmas probably won't cross 1k theaters next week but could expand even wider in early December if it does well.

6 minutes ago, Rumpot said:

Yes 

Some people have this idea general audiences are just a brain dead zombie horde but as I said before the review situation around Batman vs Superman went very mainstream and as a result compared to your average blockbuster, people will be looking at reviews for this film. So if this was just your typical summer blockbuster or something I would agree, but this is a special case. 

Be rather honest if this got reviews like Wonder Women, I would have watched it in theatres. Some say make up your own mind, but I have been watching comic book movies since Spiderman 1 in theatres and there has been a perfect correlation between reviews and how I like a comic book movie. I am a huge Batman fan, so really people like myself should be flocking to see this. 

Edited by Lordmandeep

8 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Sure but even with the Thanksgiving Weekend it's going to be tough for JL to get $300M if it opens around $110M. It's just bizarre to think that a Justice League film is not a slam dunk for $300M in North America. 

Something odd happened here*, but JL has a huge swath of population that can be swayed to watch if someone they talked to liked it.  It may also be circumstance dependent (in some cases temporary circumstance)

*movie specific like skepticism from prior DC movies, RT scores

*other such as another recent CBM, upcoming Star Wars, Punisher on Netflix, "it makes more sense to go next weekend"/stack of work before holidays, etc

7 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Some people have this idea general audiences are just a brain dead zombie horde but as I said before the review situation around Batman vs Superman went very mainstream and as a result compared to your average blockbuster, people will be looking at reviews for this film. So if this was just your typical summer blockbuster or something I would agree, but this is a special case. 

Be rather honest if this got reviews like Wonder Women, I would have watched it in theatres. Some say make up your own mind, but I have been watching comic book movies since Spiderman 1 in theatres and there has been a perfect correlation between reviews and how I like a comic book movie. I am a huge Batman fan, so really people like myself should be flocking to see this. 

Baaaaaaaaa 

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

I'm also a huge CBM fan but didn't watch SS, BVS in theaters and only watched WW after a month.  I really disliked the first two and thought WW was decent.  I really enjoyed JL and will be watching again this weekend.  So who knows.  In my opinion in a movie with the very high recognizability of these characters making a fun movie can go a long way.  I'll tell you what's a huuuuge waste of time (in my opinion) is reading a stack of reviews.

I suppose though if your tastes always correlate w/RT score then you should use that

Edited by Rumpot
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Between Roman Israel's weak audience score and a low TC, I really think Lady Bird might be able to hit 2k theaters next week. The Man Who Invented Christmas probably won't cross 1k theaters next week but could expand even wider in early December if it does well.

Depends on its PTA this weekend. I'm thinking it does $11-12K.

4 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Australia opening day was down about 35% from BvS. America and Australia usually have very similar performance, so a weekend around $108m would not be shocking at this point. 

Even if the OD is down that much in the US, it'll rebound a bit on Saturday as it was heavily boosted by Good Friday. 

24 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

Eh, not really. She spents a lot of the movie whining about how uncultured Sacramento is..

That s the joke.

Sirsha s character in Lady Bird sounds like an annoying brat who thinks life starts and ends in New-York, just like the New-York times thought that s how the world worked before the Crimson guy got elected , from their own admission.

So this is no surprise Greta Gerwig wrote and directed this movie, as the muse of a Woody Allen wanabee.

It all makes sense.

Edited by The Futurist