DeeCee

THE JUSTICE LEAGUE (and The Star and Wonder) WEEKEND THREAD | PREMIUM ACCOUNT SALE NOW LIVE | Weekend Actuals ~ JL 93.84M, W 27.54M, T:R 21.66M, DH2 14.43M, MOTOE 13.80M, TS 9.81M

1 minute ago, ZeeSoh said:

38.5 would mean JL has very slightly better preview to OD multi as BvS which is one of the lowest for a SH movie. If it follows BvS trajectory over the weekend it will miss even 80m. I dont think that will happen as BvS was notoriously frontloaded on OD due to easter holiday. But JL could follow SS internal multiplier which would mean an OW of 85m

Different times of the year. Plus BVS had a holiday on Friday. JL should get slightly better IM for the weekend.

1 minute ago, somebody85 said:

Right but I was referring to the 5 star reviews that used to flood Yahoo Movies and Fandango. 

The funny thing is Transformers 2 did not really damage the Transformers brand that much. 

It was boosted by 3D but Tf3 did about 88-89% of TF2 domestic box office (maybe more as it had to face off DH2) and did way better overseas.

It was TF4 that doomed the franchise. 

• Like 1

And I'm kind of wondering if Star Wars is an issue here again like it was for Hunger Games.

Mockingjay Part 1 wasn't received that well (but not as bad as Batman V Superman) and this hurt Mockingjay Part 2. I remember how badly everything was effected before TFA exploded in 2015.

Thor is definitely impacting it but could families be waiting to spend their money again since TLJ isn't that far off? I could see Coco being hurt by that too but those numbers, as far as kids aren't very high. Yeah Wonder could be hurting it too but this is the Justice League. Kids love super heroes so it doesn't make sense to me if Sat doesn't rise a lot.

And Coco could be a big problem for this as it's already getting great reviews and parents usually trust Pixar when that happens. I guess we'll see how it plays out and how WOM really is.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lordmandeep said:

The funny thing is Transformers 2 did not really damage the Transformers brand that much. 

It was boosted by 3D but Tf3 did about 88-89% of TF2 domestic box office (maybe more as it had to face off DH2) and did way better overseas.

It was TF4 that doomed the franchise. 

Oh I agree, that was huge at the time and TF3 was pretty damn big too. The numbers didn't really start to decrease until 4 from what I remember like you said.

11 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Fast and Furious has a hold on the overseas markets really but we saw with Transformers, it can fade. I think they have like 2-3 films max left out before it crashes and burns imo.

Everything fades in time. Except maybe Star Wars.   The thing I am most interested in is this Avatar sequel. 

14 minutes ago, Iron Raf said:

After F7 made 1.5 ... it's not like F8 was gonna dip back below 1B.

I don't understand the logic here.  You said it made 1.5 because of Paul.  If Paul is the reason then why would the very next film be assured of 1.2? The fact is the Fast series was trending upwards and quickly..   It gives the fans exactly what we want from it. Nothing more, nothing less.  

previews + true Friday ... Movie-name [OD to previews ratio]

11.0 + 27.25 ... WONDR [3.48x]

9.5 + 23.5 ... LOGAN [3.47x]

17.0 + 39.1 ... GOTG2 [3.30x]

15.4 + 34.7 ... SMH [3.25x]

14.5 + 32.00 ... THOR3 [3.21x]

13.0 + 25.40 ... JL [2.95x]

Edited by a2knet
JL number upated

Updated to 38.4

is coming in at the high end from where we saw it around midday Friday with $38.4M, however, Warner Bros./DC’s superhero ensemble is falling well short of $100M with an industry estimate of $93.5M over three-days

http://deadline.com/2017/11/justice-league-opening-weekend-box-office-lower-thor-ragnarok-wonder-the-star-1202211094/

13 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

38.5 would mean JL has very slightly better preview to OD multi as BvS which is one of the lowest for a SH movie. If it follows BvS trajectory over the weekend it will miss even 80m. I dont think that will happen as BvS was notoriously frontloaded on OD due to easter holiday. But JL could follow SS internal multiplier which would mean an OW of 85m

Ha. Ha. As much as dr. strange.

If WOM is not glowing here, this is in a lot of trouble for it's budget in the coming weeks.

As far as family options I can see WOM being great for Wonder so that's option number 1. I bet that has great legs through the holidays. Then you have Coco which I believe is a musical and it's Disney/Pixar...a proven success when those films rate in the high 80s or 90s on RT (it remains to be seen if it stays there but the average score indicates it might). If that happens, that's option number 2 and should also have great legs.

Then you have this as option number 3 coming off a film that was not well received at all.

On top of those, Thors still in the market place and families already spent a lot on superhero stuff with it....and then in just a few weeks you have Star Wars which is bound to be the biggest event of the year.

I dunno. As far as families especially like ones with younger girls...I'm not sure Wonder Woman will pull them to this on later weekends with everything else around.

Edited by somebody85