Plain Old Tele

Death on the Nile | Feb 11, 2022 | Branagh returns as star/director/moustache model | Armie Hammer is sadly in this | Will release in China

Bummer 😕 not sure why though... do they actually think 2 months is going to make a difference to cinema attendance?

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/black-widow-west-side-story-eternals-release-date-delay-1234773491/

“Death on the Nile” — a follow-up to 2017’s box office hit “Murder on the Orient Express” — will bow on Dec. 18, 2020, vacating its original Oct. 23 premiere.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Avatree said:

Bummer 😕 not sure why though... do they actually think 2 months is going to make a difference to cinema attendance?

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/black-widow-west-side-story-eternals-release-date-delay-1234773491/

“Death on the Nile” — a follow-up to 2017’s box office hit “Murder on the Orient Express” — will bow on Dec. 18, 2020, vacating its original Oct. 23 premiere.

They are putting it there as counterprogramming just in case WB is crazy to still release WW84 and Dune on those dates. Also, it's a FOX title, so they have less investment in its success. 

Edited by CloneWars

2 minutes ago, CloneWars said:

They are putting it there as counterprogramming just in case WB is crazy to still release WW84 and Dune on those dates. Also, it's a FOX title, so they have less investment in its success. 

Think you have misunderstood me. I don't understand why they aren't releasing it now. I'm not saying it should be delayed further. It would have 0 competition if it stayed in its October release date.

2 minutes ago, Avatree said:

Think you have misunderstood me. I don't understand why they aren't releasing it now. I'm not saying it should be delayed further. It would have 0 competition if it stayed in its October release date.

I see what you are saying. Well, chances are many theaters will be closed again come it's October release date both because of the virus and lack of other original content. Movie theaters won't open up just for Death of the Nile. The December release date means movies will come out that theaters that can open for will open for.

8 hours ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

Delayed to December 18th, 2020

After Disney moved all it's big blockbuster films to 2021. Nile will be the biggest Disney Holiday release.

The fact it did not cost a lot to make has a lot to do with it. Disney will risk a low budget  film,but not a big one.

6 hours ago, CloneWars said:

I also think DIsney wants to show the flag with SOMETHING for a Holiday release, and because it had a modest budget Nile fits the bill. Disney willnot lose a lot.

I alos think Warners is not crazy enogh to release DUne and WW84 within a week of each other. . Even without the Covid virus, that is just plain stupid.

51 minutes ago, ddddeeee said:

I hope the budget is actually sensible, though. Empire (randomly) mentioned a $110m budget last year.

I can't find any source for any budget number.

The first one cost $55 million and was all shot at studio.

This one has had 2 months of on location shooting in Africa. Safe to say it will cost more.

I'm sure it sounded great on paper if they were upping the budget, since the first film grossed 6x the budget. Gonna sting really hard with a 2020 release. But with no competition maybe it'll do OK.

On 9/24/2020 at 8:42 PM, SpiderByte said:

If the budget is higher I can't imagine it being higher by that much.

It's not like Nile has any big spectacular scenes that would require lots of money. Yes, going to Egypt to shoot migh cost a few million more, but not ballooning from 55 to 110 Million.

3 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

Wonder Womans moving to June, so if this follows then we'll see how much this is a troll/counter programming move

I have not seen an announcment from WB to that effect, though I am sure  WW84 is moving.