Plain Old Tele

Death on the Nile | Feb 11, 2022 | Branagh returns as star/director/moustache model | Armie Hammer is sadly in this | Will release in China

I've finished reading 'The ABC Murders' - beef up the locations that could make for a good movie.

That said, I don't think Branagh's forte is suspense/tension, so something more OTT/campy like Death on the Nile is probably a better bet.

Orient Express made a ton of money sandwiched between Ragnarok and Justice League, so I don't think that Wonder Woman will hurt it.

On 2/21/2018 at 11:52 AM, TombRaider said:

So Murder did almost 5x its budget, 350m WW. I doubt Nile will do above 250m considering murder's mediocre WOM and this book being less iconic

What?  It did over a 3x multiplier despite mediocre reviews and as you said 5x the budget.  It was a hit for Fox and the next one will likely do better, not worse.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, EmpireCity said:

What?  It did over a 3x multiplier despite mediocre reviews and as you said 5x the budget.  It was a hit for Fox and the next one will likely do better, not worse.  

I don't know, at least for me it's hard to picture them capturing lightning in a bottle twice. Murder had pretty great marketing IMO, and the 'star-studded cast in a high-concept mystery based on popular source material' would have brought many people out despite mediocre reviews. Not to mention, while I'm certainly not the age demographic, even I had heard of Murder on the Orient Express ages before the movie came out. On the other hand, I'd never heard of Death on the Nile until seeing Murder. 

Maybe it's just me. But unless the cast is even better in this one, or they deliver a kick-ass marketing campaign, the best I can see this doing is maybe flat with the first. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EmpireCity said:

Folks like you said the same thing for Kingsman 2 while I said it will do less than previous one. End result is there for everyone to see.

As for this, I dug Murder on the orient express, but it did well because it had been a long time since we got a movie based on a popular Agatha Christie novel. The star cast was great and the marketing good.

Next one will have to be a much better movie and have a more interesting star cast along with better marketing to do as well as Murder if not more. The competition surrounding it will also be a factor. If a giant movie is releasing around it which sucks all the hype and buzz leaving hardly any room for another breakout then it's going to do less. Ex: IT2 Vs Kings 2 in September. 

For now, I can see 280-300M world wide. That could change depending on the trailer.

Edited by marveldcfox

38 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

Folks like you said the same thing for Kingsman 2 while I said it will do less than previous one. End result is there for everyone to see.

As for this, I dug Murder on the orient express, but it did well because it had been a long time since we got a movie based on a popular Agatha Christie novel. The star cast was great and the marketing good.

Next one will have to be a much better movie and have a more interesting star cast along with better marketing to do as well as Murder if not more. The competition surrounding it will also be a factor. If a giant movie is releasing around it which sucks all the hype and buzz leaving hardly any room for another breakout then it's going to do less. Ex: IT2 Vs Kings 2 in September. 

For now, I can see 280-300M world wide. That could change depending on the trailer.

The only thing I said to you was that "Kingsman will be fine" and it was more than that financially for Fox.  It stayed flat with the original ($410m vs. $414m) despite mostly bad reviews and still made over 4x it's budget overall.  If that is your gauntlet throw down, it isn't a very good one.  Your example of It vs. Kingsman 2 this past September is also odd because Kingsman didn't fail to break out because It didn't leave any room for it, it failed to break out because it wasn't any good and still managed to make $410m in September.  

My comments on Death on the Nile assume that the movie will increase in quality.  Not sure what competition will actually be there in Nov. 2019 at this point.  

Right now it only has Wonder Woman 2 in the first week of November as a very likely bet as that starts shooting this summer.  Bond 25 doesn't even have a script or a director at this point.  They usually aren't CGI heavy so it could make that date, but that is not a sure bet on any level.  

Don't forget what November 2017 looked like on paper and what Murder on the Orient Express was up against.  Thor: Ragnarok on one side and Justice League on the other looked like crushing monsters, but counter-programming has a way of enhancing grosses.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Murder is the most well known Christie story, so a decrease is certain. But it can still do good for it’s likely budget 

Is it? It's up there but I thought Ten Little Indians/And Then There Were None was probably the most well known.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CaptainJackSparrow said:

I didn’t even realize the internet didn’t care much for Orient until I checked the IMDB and RT audience scores today. I quite liked it, I can’t wait for this one.

Poirot lovers like me make David Suchet's Poirot a hard act to follow. I've seen every episode of every season at least twice or more, lol. They are really good. Plus a lot of your favorite actors/actresses have appeared in at least one of the episodes of either Poirot or Marple.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ecstasy said:

Is it? It's up there but I thought Ten Little Indians/And Then There Were None was probably the most well known.

Murder on Orient Express is the one for which almost everyone remembers who-did-it.

That is why I am looking forward to Death on the Nile as a genuine murder mystery, I read the book but don't remember any of it.

7 minutes ago, ecstasy said:

Looking at her book sales I was suprised I didn't knew her biggest success book of all time, too finally understand I knew it under an other name.... rest of the world did.

7 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

Murder on Orient Express is the one for which almost everyone remembers who-did-it.

That is why I am looking forward to Death on the Nile as a genuine murder mystery, I read the book but don't remember any of it.

LOL I'm not sure how you would know that but I digress. Death on the Nile is one of my favorites but it's not that much of a mystery as far as who dunnit.  The best ones are the ones that aren't really well known like Taken at the Flood, Sad Cypress, After the Funeral. These are really good.  The Crooked House has an incredible shocking twist even by today's standards.  The new BBC production kind of dragged but they kept the shocking ending.  You should give it a watch.

10 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Looking at her book sales I was suprised I didn't knew her biggest success book of all time, too finally understand I knew it under an other name.... rest of the world did.

Well those aren't even the original names. The original name is quite offensive and had to be changed.

yeah not sure they'll keep the name if they adapt Ten Little Ns.

fwiw I don't think it matters that MOTOE is the most well known one, as to be honest, most people haven't actually read her stuff so it doesnt matter. as long as it's marketed correctly I don't think it will be harmed by being less famous than MOTOE. personally I had only heard of motoe didn't actually know anything about it, I had always assumed it was set in China until this movie came out. let alone did I know the twist ending.

11 minutes ago, Treeing Me Apart said:

most people haven't actually read her stuff so it doesnt matter.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_fiction_authors

She sold between 2 to 4 billion books, that over 50% of the audience being over 50 for Murder,  imagine a lot of them were Christie fans and had read it at least not many if any was more read that her (maybe Shakespeare, Rowling, King or some author older than copyright but none is a certain pick).

That said Poirot-Christie name in itself probably work, maybe you need to market it a bit more directly has a Poirot than just using the title.

Edited by Barnack