Plain Old Tele

Death on the Nile | Feb 11, 2022 | Branagh returns as star/director/moustache model | Armie Hammer is sadly in this | Will release in China

This was enjoyable and I liked the cast a lot, but I figured out who did it the moment the victim was revealed, and nothing the rest of the film presented even slightly made me waver. MOTOE had a nice surprise revelation, but this was just way too telegraphed.

And yeah, the first half was SLOW. The tomb scene could have been cut out completely.

On 2/11/2022 at 9:02 PM, Jonwo said:

I want it to be The ABC Murders but I think they'll go towards Evil Under the Sun because you can go to another exotic location although in the original novel, it's set in Devon but that easily be changed. 

Nile is an enjoyable film but it could have lost 10-20 minutes easily and I guessed whodunnit early on because some of the visuals gave it away.

Pretty sure The ABC Murders was the only Agatha Cristy novel I read. so it would be cool to see that made. But after DotN's Box Office I'm not crossing my fingers.

I really liked the movie though. thought it was an improvement from MotOE

On 2/26/2022 at 4:45 PM, Kalo said:

Pretty sure The ABC Murders was the only Agatha Cristy novel I read. so it would be cool to see that made. But after DotN's Box Office I'm not crossing my fingers.

I really liked the movie though. thought it was an improvement from MotOE

Best is poirot (branagh's character in the films)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0094525/

8.6 on imdb, the best mystery tv show ever made - with sherlock holmes original i'd say.

Edited by Halba

The show is a real mixed bag. Some episodes are wonderful and improve on the source material; others are just disastrous (The Murder of Roger Akroyd).

It's still wildly popular today, but it's also (singlehandedly?) the reason why people think of Christie as something cosy and exclusively for elderly women.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, ddddeeee said:

Just listened to an interview with Michael Green in which he said everyone is game for a third movie, everyone knows what it is and everyone knows what they want to do with it. But it was clear from his tone that he was down on its chances of happening.

Disney's treatment of the movie should tell you a great deal about how likely they are to pursue a sequel.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/avatar-death-on-the-nile-sequel-and-free-guy-future-1235103538/

Will there be more Agatha Christie adaptations?

We have the Poirot franchise, we have other Christie stories. I love these films, I love Ken [Branagh, who plays detective Hercule Poirot and directed Murder on the Orient Express and Death on the Nile]. We have a third script written, by Michael Green, that is a pretty daring shift in genre and in tone. It’s post-war Venice and an adaptation of one of the lesser-known novels. So I think you’ll see the mustache again.

Would the mustache direct as well? 

Yes. Ken is Poirot, but Ken is also the series.

On 2/27/2022 at 3:03 AM, ddddeeee said:

The show is a real mixed bag. Some episodes are wonderful and improve on the source material; others are just disastrous (The Murder of Roger Akroyd).

It's still wildly popular today, but it's also (singlehandedly?) the reason why people think of Christie as something cosy and exclusively for elderly women.

I think "Roger  Ackroyd" is simply impossible to adapt for movies and TV for reasons I can't tell without spoiling the novel. BBC shold not have even tried to adapt it.

• Like 1

On 3/4/2022 at 8:11 AM, ddddeeee said:

I don't buy it. I want to, but I don't.

The film actually did pretty well considering everything it was up against.

But yeah, you're right. 

I am going to outright state that if a third comes along, it will have closer to an Orient Express sized budget ($55 million) versus this one's $90 million.

The amusingly terrible CGI in this was probably the result of being in the middle of post-production when everything shut down and the limited resources they had to work with from home given that they were still on a deadline as to when the movie was planning to be released originally. In the future whenever everyone points out the sloppy production values on movies made around this era they'll likely be quick to point out that the entertainment industry was still trying to adjust to the new environment and these were the results.

• Like 2