Plain Old Tele

Death on the Nile | Feb 11, 2022 | Branagh returns as star/director/moustache model | Armie Hammer is sadly in this | Will release in China

38 minutes ago, Avatree said:

Really? Armie Hammer and Annette Bening are great. Gal Gadot is a big name. Russell Brand is great when used correctly (which one would think Kenneth Branagh knows how).

I've always found Hammer to be very unlikable. Bening is the exception, but when you compare these guys to Pfeiffer, Cruz, Dench, Colman, Jacobi, Dafoe.... They were 'names', but they're also some of the best. 

Then again, my favourite performances in the first were Branagh and Bateman, and they're both back so....

Edited by ddddeeee

33 minutes ago, AndyK said:

Not a fan of Russel, can't think how his style would fit into a period piece like this.

maybe they will figure out the murderer by taunting him about his granddaughter  🤔

1 hour ago, Avatree said:

maybe they will figure out the murderer by taunting him about his granddaughter  🤔

Ahh, now if only Andrew Sachs was still alive.

That would have been a good addition to have alongside Brand.

• Haha 1

Budget is over 2x MotOE apparently.

They must be banking on it making more than the last one, which I really don't think is going to happen. Where do you even go from here anyway? All the best Poirot books apart from these two take place in like a house in the English countryside....

They could've adapted 'Hercule Poirot's Christmas' for like $30M, released it at Christmas and made a stupid amount of profit.

Edited by ddddeeee

2 hours ago, ddddeeee said:

Budget is over 2x MotOE apparently.

They must be banking on it making more than the last one, which I really don't think is going to happen. Where do you even go from here anyway? All the best Poirot books apart from these two take place in like a house in the English countryside....

They could've adapted 'Hercule Poirot's Christmas' for like $30M, released it at Christmas and made a stupid amount of profit.

I read that as "Arnie's upcoming film".... got very excited for a minute :( 

As for point about it being less successful because of not being in a house. It seems a much easier sell to the general audience to have a movie set in Egypt with some kind of grander scale/landscape. Because tbh I can't envisage a murder mystery set in a house, grossing as much as Knives Out again.

19 minutes ago, TMP said:

Does this even work post-knives out?

Let's not over-egg the 'KO was a genre-destroying deconstructionist parody' narrative. If anything its success will bolster interest in more whodunnits.   

Edited by Hatebox
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, TMP said:

Does this even work post-knives out?

It's a really interesting question.

Death on the Nile has a much, much better plot than Knives Out. But Branagh doesn't have it in him to make a movie on that level. Does the success of Knives Out make audiences hungrier for a whodunnit, or do audiences shun it because the bar's been raised higher than Branagh can reach?

I mean the 1978 movie is kind of bad (Mia Farrow's brilliant performance aside), and it was a huge underperformer back in the day - again, coming off the heels of a very successful MotOE. But it's gone on to be something of a classic because Christie's work, at its best, is indestructible. People didn't seem to respond to the first movie but it chugged along at the box office for months.

5 hours ago, ddddeeee said:

It's a really interesting question.

Death on the Nile has a much, much better plot than Knives Out. But Branagh doesn't have it in him to make a movie on that level. Does the success of Knives Out make audiences hungrier for a whodunnit, or do audiences shun it because the bar's been raised higher than Branagh can reach?

I mean the 1978 movie is kind of bad (Mia Farrow's brilliant performance aside), and it was a huge underperformer back in the day - again, coming off the heels of a very successful MotOE. But it's gone on to be something of a classic because Christie's work, at its best, is indestructible. People didn't seem to respond to the first movie but it chugged along at the box office for months.

I love the 1978 version. One of the older films I loved as a kid. So much fun. Also...how the hell is this a $110m budget? I doubt it since the cast has nowhere near the star power of Orient.

So Gal Gadot plays Lynette? She gets killed by Jacqueline right...

Edited by Noctis