Plain Old Tele

Death on the Nile | Feb 11, 2022 | Branagh returns as star/director/moustache model | Armie Hammer is sadly in this | Will release in China

OMG @ the Knives Out talk in this thread...

No one even saw that movie, especially in Shayland (Bulgaria) where it didn't even get a release - so any thought it may influence anything is... I can't even find a strong enough word here, which is a rarity for the Shay.

But hearing you talk about genre bending and SUBVERTING (shudder) immediately makes me think about one thing: did RJ try to f*ck up another brand here? He was extremely successful in destroying Star Wars, as can be seen by last BO numbers.

I wasn't even going to torrent-see his movie - but now I might have to, in order to attack it better.

Edited by shayhiri

36 minutes ago, shayhiri said:

OMG @ the Knives Out talk in this thread...

No one even saw that movie, especially in Shayland (Bulgaria) where it didn't even get a release - so any thought it may influence anything is...

yes, a ~120m grossing movie in USA/250m WW becomes irrelevant due to not being related in bulgaria, you're completely right.

Edited by aladdino
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Unless we find out some reason that might cause the budget to be doubled, there is no way in hell this is costing Disney $120 million.

:Edit: 

Even more bafflingly, they apparently finished shooting the film a couple of days ago so it's not even like it has a tighter post-production schedule than the first.

Edited by TerwillikerInst

This is one of my favourite whoddunnit books, but it is sadly going to BOMB if that budget is true.

There is no way that this ends up earning as much as Murder on the orient express, as it:

1) does not have enough star power to attract the international audience (really, a bad casting fame-wise)

2) is generally lesser known as a book

3) does not have a "winter" snowy setting that can give it a boost during christmas time. Egypt is amazing, but would probably work better in the summer.

On ‎12‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 6:54 PM, marveldcfox said:

I don't know why these movies have to be so expensive. They should be in the 20-40M range. 

A. The Poirot films are being done in Period

B. Part of the appeal of them is the all star cast.

Both cost money..the second in particular.

On ‎12‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 6:47 AM, Hatebox said:

Let's not over-egg the 'KO was a genre-destroying deconstructionist parody' narrative. If anything its success will bolster interest in more whodunnits.   

Hey, KO might be something of a parody of the classic murder mystery, but If so it was an affectionate parody, and managed to deliver what the fans of the genre want.....

1 hour ago, ddddeeee said:

Three was an twistedly excellent 3-part BBC production of this 5 years ago that rekindled massive interest in expensive Christie adaptations. I'd be surprised if this is any better but it certainly has star-power potential.