Plain Old Tele

Death on the Nile | Feb 11, 2022 | Branagh returns as star/director/moustache model | Armie Hammer is sadly in this | Will release in China

They should move this. I can't see anyone under 30 being interested in this unless they're Agatha's fan (like me).

I mean, you do have a problem when what should be an all-star cast is actually made up of c-listers, with highlight actors being Gal Gadot (who has to be one of the most hated celebs after that tone-deaf "imagine" video) and Armie Hammer (famous for starring in 100 flops and for having his feet sucked on video by his young son).

And don't you dare bringing up "but Knives out did so well!" argument, that had three mega-stars in Daniel Craig, Jamie Lee Curtis and Chris Evans.

Edited by ThePrinceIsOnFire

34 minutes ago, ThePrinceIsOnFire said:

I mean, you do have a problem when what should be an all-star cast is actually made up of c-listers,

Maybe for the specific project/genre, because Gadot is at least B+ (and A in a certain genre)

For the target audience, Benning-Branagh could be B (specially in the UK), but you are right it is a step down from the assemble of the first one that did so well (Depp, Pfeiffer, Cruz, Dafoe, Ridley and maybe the most important for the genre Dench).

That said I doubt the audience for this hate Gadot for her video and have any idea what you are referring too for Hammer.

1 hour ago, ThePrinceIsOnFire said:

They should move this. I can't see anyone under 30 being interested in this unless they're Agatha's fan (like me).

I mean, you do have a problem when what should be an all-star cast is actually made up of c-listers, with highlight actors being Gal Gadot (who has to be one of the most hated celebs after that tone-deaf "imagine" video) and Armie Hammer (famous for starring in 100 flops and for having his feet sucked on video by his young son).

And don't you dare bringing up "but Knives out did so well!" argument, that had three mega-stars in Daniel Craig, Jamie Lee Curtis and Chris Evans.

If Gal Gadot is so hated wouldn't her recent Vogue video on YouTube be bombarded with tons of dislikes? The video has nearly 50k likes and 2.1k dislikes. Spend less time on Twitter. The cancerous people on  that platform are cancelling a different celeb every 12 hours. 

Edited by meridan

3 hours ago, meridan said:

If Gal Gadot is so hated wouldn't her recent Vogue video on YouTube be bombarded with tons of dislikes? The video has nearly 50k likes and 2.1k dislikes. Spend less time on Twitter. The cancerous people on  that platform are cancelling a different celeb every 12 hours. 

There is a consistent slice of public in her fanbase demo (15-34) that actually dislike her with a passion, but she is not nearly as known and loved/popular internationally as someone like Scarlett Johansson, so the amount of hate she gets is smaller in numbers too. She still is a very controversial actress, due to her claims on the Israel/palestine war... the imagine video just highlighted her ambivalent nature to a wider public. I do agree that cancel culture is dumb and poisonous though.

3 hours ago, Barnack said:

Maybe for the specific project/genre, because Gadot is at least B+ (and A in a certain genre)

For the target audience, Benning-Branagh could be B (specially in the UK), but you are right it is a step down from the assemble of the first one that did so well (Depp, Pfeiffer, Cruz, Dafoe, Ridley and maybe the most important for the genre Dench).

That said I doubt the audience for this hate Gadot for her video and have any idea what you are referring too for Hammer.

Gal Gadot is A list only in her Wonder Woman role, there is basically no other role she is known for by the public, although some might remember her from fast and furious. The target audience for this movie (which is the European movie goers aged 35+) probably have no clue as to who she is at all. Let's not forget that Wonder Woman underperformed in Europe, earning very little in countries like Italy.

Branagh might certainly be a B list actor, but I was excluding him from the lineup, given that he is the returning main character. Benning is not really well known in Europe out of the UK.

All in all, this is a flop cast. star power- wise. No one can really claim it is the other way. It might be the right cast for the movie, but you can't really compare Pfeiffer-Depp-Dafoe-Cruz-Dench to this mess.

Edited by ThePrinceIsOnFire

5 hours ago, ThePrinceIsOnFire said:

Gal Gadot (who has to be one of the most hated celebs after that tone-deaf "imagine" video)

I don't think anyone in the real world cared about that video

• Like 8

18 minutes ago, TerwillikerInst said:

I don't see why; Orient Express did phenomenal numbers despite being sandwiched between Thor: Ragnarok and Justice League.  

I don't think it's moving because of competition. I think it's moving because Gal is starring in both movies which are now a week apart. 

Edited by meridan

Moderation

Even if it's from the book, we don't allow any spoilers. Not everybody has read Death of the Nile, and people want to be surprised at what happens.

If you want to discuss details from the book, please do so under the spoilers function.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Eric Atreides said:

Moderation

Even if it's from the book, we don't allow any spoilers. Not everybody has read Death of the Nile, and people want to be surprised at what happens.

If you want to discuss details from the book, please do so under the spoilers function.

I'm very sorry, I thought I had put a spoiler box around my post and then foolishly didn't bother to check. 

Moved to the 23rd of October. 

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">DISNEY/20TH CEN RELEASE DATE CHANGES:<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/MULAN?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#MULAN</a>, previously 8/21/20 is now UNSET<br><br>THE EMPTY MAN, previously 8/7/20 moves to 12/4/20<br><br>DEATH ON THE NILE, previously 10/9/20 moves to 10/23/20<br><br>THE LAST DUEL, previously 12/25/20 (Ltd) &amp; 1/8/21 (Wide) moves to 10/15/21</p>&mdash; Boxoffice Pro (@BoxOffice) <a href="https://twitter.com/BoxOffice/status/1286407271661043712?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 23, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

• Like 1

The 2 extra weeks won't make a difference. With Disney having to find 2021 dates for Mulan & Black Widow I can't see them trying to find a 2021 date for this film. It's most likely going to skip a theatrical release. 

Edited by meridan

I think at this point Disney is ok with sacrificing the FOX movies to theaters worldwide so I think New Mutants, Kingsman and Death on the Nile will indeed come out this year.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, meridan said:

The 2 extra weeks won't make a difference. With Disney having to find 2021 dates for Mulan & Black Widow I can't see them trying to find a 2021 date for this film. It's most likely going to skip a theatrical release. 

Don't get why Disney is even bothering with a 2 week move.

I think we will not see another  major threatircal relase in the US in 2020.