Fake

The Amazing Spider-Man OS Thread (413M)

It can gross 100M in China, but does it have the potential to set OW records across Asia? Pirates 4 barely improved on AWE despite 3D and 4 years of market expansion. I think it may be a good comparison for Spider Man.

Why is POTC4 a good comparison and not TF3?

700m OS will be disappointing.

Many people predicted TASM would have a huge decrease in OS markets.But in China it would increase more than 100m and in Asia it would increase more than 150m.In theory, that might happen that its admissoins would drop about 50% in Europe, Latin America, Oceania and Africa.In fact, that would never happen. :lol:

It's possible, yes. Spider-Man 3 either set new OW records or was close to breaking them in a lot of Asian territories. I think it really does have the potential to come extremely close to Transformers 3's OW records around Asia because it's the first to come out of the big 3 (Spider-Man, Ice Age 4, The Dark Knight Rises). Viewers will want to see a blockbuster film on the big screen and 3D prices will jack up the OW as well. Before Transformers 3 broke numerous records in Asia, Spider-Man 3 actually held quite a few records in several Asian territories (biggest film in the Philippines for 4 years; OD record in Hong Kong, Thailand, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore).Amazing Spider-Man is very clearly Asian territory. We love our superheros. ;)

Asian film market in 2012 is much bigger than 2007.Spider-Man is the most popular superhero in Asia.

IA4 never could affect TASM in Asia.

It could in China but everywhere else in Asia won't affect it much. Hong Kong can have 2 blockbusters playing at the same time. I really don't know if this new China deal will force them to show Ice Age longer than normal so who knows if it will have an effect on Spider-Man's screens. Edited by Bluebomb

It could in China but everywhere else in Asia won't affect it much. Hong Kong can have 2 blockbusters playing at the same time. I really don't know if this new China deal will force them to show Ice Age longer than normal so who knows if it will have an affect on Spider-Man's screens.

TASM is one IMAX + native 3D action film, IA4 is one cartoon film. Edited by SentryTrans

TASM is a IMAX + native 3D action film, IA4 is a cartoon film.

Ice Age is also a 3D film.China controls the screen counts. New Dreamworks deal might force the government to show Ice Age longer than normal. And Ice Age is also a very popular film there, not as popular as Spider-Man of course but it's still a big movie up there. Edited by Bluebomb

I really don't know if this new China deal will force them to show Ice Age longer than normal so who knows if it will have an effect on Spider-Man's screens.

Which film could make more money, the cinemas would give it more shows.The average attendance rate is the key factor.

Ice Age is also a 3D film.China controls the screen counts. New Dreamworks deal might force the government to show Ice Age longer than normal. And Ice Age is also a very popular film there, not as popular as Spider-Man of course but it's still a big movie up there.

There would be about 7000 3D screens in July, it could accommodate one action film and one cartoon film.

If you are not convinced, just look at John Carter's OW. Without 3D, this would have flopped around Asia. Instead, this grosses:China - 14,000,000Hong Kong - $917,000Malaysia - $1,574,000Philippines - $823,000Singapore - $868,000South Korea - $3,002,000Those are all pretty good grosses for a movie about Mars...In my opinion, Amazing Spider-Man should quadruple these John Carter OW grosses.

Yes, and don't forget the 16M OW in Russia. John Carter is a big-budget sci-fi action-adventure movie in 3D. These are the reasons why it did well around Asia. 3D contributed to its grosses, but I don't think it would have flopped without it (look at Prince of Persia for comparison). I don't expect TASM to triple or quadruple that just because it's based on a more popular property.

Why is POTC4 a good comparison and not TF3?

POTC4 felt a lot like a reboot with 2 major characters removed and Johnny Depp transformed into the sole lead. The concept the series changed, and that turned off part of the audience. TF3 was a direct sequel in every way, coming only 2 years after the last film.Also, 3D factor was exceptional for TF3. Some people wanted Transformers because of 3D. It's not going to be the same way for Spiderman. Edited by RTX

I consider Russia as Europe. YMMV.Prince of Persia was based off of a popular video game. John Carter was an original film. Pretty telling that Prince of Persia scored higher without 3D than John Carter with 3D in the majority of markets I listed above. TASM has a lot going for it. Spider-Man is the most popular superhero in Asia + you've got crazy market expansion now from many Asian territories. Being the first big film to release is also great for its OW. The only real drawback that people have been hammering like crazy at is the reboot factor. I don't think the reboot factor will be a big deal overseas (especially with Asia).Spider-Man 3 broke a ton of records in Asia. In South Korea, it made 10m OW. Those records I talked about previously all point to one thing: Spider-Man is a huge deal in Asia. Now when you add in 3D prices and the 5 years of market expansion, I honestly would not be surprised if Spider-Man breaks Transformers 3's OW records in Asia.