Ezen Baklattan

What will be the 200th 200m grosser?

4 hours ago, Shawn said:

I don't necessarily disagree but MP has less audience crossover with SW than SW does with Avengers, Deadpool, Jurassic, and Incredibles.

It's a first world problem for Disney to have, but if I were them, I'd rather put Han at Christmas where it has less competition (both internally and externally) and SW has proven to be massively successful two -- presumably three -- years in a row now.

Hard to blame them. Mary Poppins Returns is gonna be massive. Plus Solo is the first Star Wars movie to have an air of "let's just get this over with" around it.

1 minute ago, cookie said:

I don't really get the sense that Marry Poppins will be massive. Like I think Cinderella numbers would be a high end.

These Disney remakes/updates have been making a goldmine and Mary Poppins is arguably the most iconic movie in their live-action canon (plus can you find a better substitute for Julie Andrews than Emily Blunt?). And being a musical is hardly a setback for a movie anymore when the ingredients are there (La La Land was one of the biggest movies of last year, Beauty and the Beast '17 is one of the biggest of all time). It's definitely gonna be the hot ticket for families throughout Christmas/New Year's.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, filmlover said:

These Disney remakes/updates have been making a goldmine and Mary Poppins is arguably the most iconic movie in their live-action canon (plus can you find a better substitute for Julie Andrews than Emily Blunt?). And being a musical is hardly a setback for a movie anymore when the ingredients are there (La La Land was one of the biggest movies of last year, Beauty and the Beast '17 is one of the biggest of all time). It's definitely gonna be the hot ticket for families throughout Christmas/New Year's.

I feel like BatB and soon Lion King and Aladdin tap directly into people's nostalgia whereas MPR may necessarily not to the same degree.

I think it's going to be super leggy but I'm not expecting some huge initial rush for it.

Edited by cookie

4 hours ago, filmlover said:

Hard to blame them. Mary Poppins Returns is gonna be massive. Plus Solo is the first Star Wars movie to have an air of "let's just get this over with" around it.

But even with that "air" around the Solo movie, in the christmas slot it could make RO numbers easily. 

Actual 2018 summer for Disney is:

Black Panther Buena Vista 2/16/18
A Wrinkle in Time Buena Vista 3/9/18
Avengers: Infinity War Buena Vista 5/4/18
Solo: A Star Wars Story (3D) Buena Vista 5/25/18
The Incredibles 2 Buena Vista 6/15/18
Ant-Man and the Wasp Buena Vista 7/6/18
Untitled Christopher Robin Project Buena Vista 8/3/18
The Nutcracker and the Four Realms Buena Vista 11/2/18
Ralph Breaks the Internet: Wreck-It Ralph 2 Buena Vista 11/21/18
Mary Poppins Returns Buena Vista 12/25/18

If I were Disney, i would keep the "SW Christmas", and would move up all the summer movies one slot, like this:

- Avengers 4 (beginning of may)

- The Incredibles 2 (end of may - Memorial Day weekend)

- Ant-Man and the Wasp (mid june)

- Christopher Robin-Winnie The Poo live action movie (july)

- Wreck-It Ralph 2 (august)

- The Nutcracker (beginning november)

- Mary Poppins Returns (end november - Thanksgiving holiday)

- Solo (december - Christmas) 

I think the MPR could make a record opening for Thanksgiving we (100M+) and benefit from a long run with very good legs along Christmas, since Solo won't share much audience with MPR. Also, depending on what time of the year the MPR movie is settled, i mean, the original MP was an autumn-winter set movie. If MPR is set also in a cold time of the year, it could help (rather than Moana last year being a beach-summer set movie released in winter on north américa, europe, china ...). 

I don't see MPR breaking the christmas boxoffice as a SW movie would (independently of it being a Solo or en "Episode...").

Edited by meriodejaneiro

1 minute ago, meriodejaneiro said:

But even with that "air" around the Solo movie, in the christmas slot it could make RO numbers easily. 

Actual 2018 summer for Disney is:

Black Panther Buena Vista 2/16/18
A Wrinkle in Time Buena Vista 3/9/18
Avengers: Infinity War Buena Vista 5/4/18
Solo: A Star Wars Story (3D) Buena Vista 5/25/18
The Incredibles 2 Buena Vista 6/15/18
Ant-Man and the Wasp Buena Vista 7/6/18
Untitled Christopher Robin Project Buena Vista 8/3/18
The Nutcracker and the Four Realms Buena Vista 11/2/18
Ralph Breaks the Internet: Wreck-It Ralph 2 Buena Vista 11/21/18
Mary Poppins Returns Buena Vista 12/25/18

If I were Disney, i would keep the "SW Christmas", and would move up all the summer movies one slot, like this:

- Avengers 4 (beginning of may)

- The Incredibles 2 (end of may - Memorial Day weekend)

- Ant-Man and the Wasp (mid june)

- Christopher Robin-Winnie The Poo live action movie (july)

- Wreck-It Ralph 2 (august)

- The Nutcracker (beginning november)

- Mary Poppins Returns (end november - Thanksgiving holiday)

- Solo (december - Christmas) 

I think the MPR could make a record opening for Thanksgiving we (100M+) and benefit from a long run with very good legs along Christmas, since Solo won't share much audience with MPR. Also, depending on what time of the year the MPR movie is settled, i mean, the original MP was an autumn-winter set movie. If MPR is set also in a cold time of the year, it could help (rather than Moana last year being a beach-summer set movie released in winter on north américa, europe, china ...) 

Mary Poppins Returns is set in the winter, I think. Christmas has also been where musicals have flourished the last several years (Les Miserables, Into the Woods, La La Land, Fox is hoping the same for The Greatest Showman) so there's really a zero percent chance Disney will move it from where it is.

12 hours ago, That One Guy said:

Let's try this:

187. Justice League

188. Last Jedi

189. Black Panther

190. A Wrinkle in Time

191. Ready Player One

192. Avengers: Infinity War

193. Solo: A Star Wars Story

194. Deadpool 2

195. The Incredibles 2

196. Jurassic World 2

197. Ant-Man and the Wasp

198. How the Grinch Stole Christmas

199. Mortal Engines

200. Aquaman

update with Alita removed.

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

Mary Poppins Returns is set in the winter, I think. Christmas has also been where musicals have flourished the last several years (Les Miserables, Into the Woods, La La Land, Fox is hoping the same for The Greatest Showman) so there's really a zero percent chance Disney will move it from where it is.

That's what i mean. Releasing it in Thanksgiving would have gotten the 5 day holiday + long legs along Christmas. We are seeing now how good christmas movies are behaving in boxoffice being released mid-november.

I think MPR releasing in Thanksgiving could have made Frozen's numbers + they could get more incomes from Solo being released in Christmas (more money than it might make in that crowded summer) 

Why is Wrinkle in Time considered to be that huge?  I don't see it.

190. Black Panther

191. Ready Player One (why not?  Nostalgia is in right now)

192. Rampage (the year of the Rock)

193. Infinity War Part 1

194. Deadpool 2

195. Solo

196. Ocean's 8 (let's get nuts and just predict something unexpected to break out)

197. Incredible's 2

198. Jurassic World 2

199. Ant-man 2

200. Skyscraper (The Rock rules)

• Like 5

Is this in order of release date or which one gets there first?

My guess:

191. Black Panther

192. A Wrinkle in Time

193. Infinity War

194. Deadpool 

195. Solo

196. Incredibles 2

197. Jurassic World 2

198. Ant Man and the Wasp

199. Mission: Impossible - Fallout

200. The Grinch or Fantastic Beasts 2 (Grinch by release date, maybe FB2 by which gets there first)

Give a slight chance for The Greatest Showman and/or Venom to throw a wrench in there.

Edited by MovieMan89

0. SAMSON

191. Black Panther

192. Avengers

193. Deadpool 2

194. Solo

195. Jurassic World

196. Ant-Man

197. Aquaman

198. Mary Poppins

199. The LEGO Movie 2

200. Captain Marvel

Wreck it Ralph 2 and The Grinch open very close to each other, if they were on their own then either one would get past 200M, but I have a feeling they'll damage each other and neither will get to 200M.