That One Girl

5-Day Weekend Thread | Saturday #s (Asgard p.109) - Coco 17.7, Justice League 15.7, Wonder 8.3, Thor: Ragnarok 6.4, Daddy's Home 2 5.3

1 hour ago, TalismanRing said:

The Good Dino had $1.3m previews for a $56m 5 day - the same multi would be $99m for Coco - so not necessarily more frontloaded.

Good point, TGD just shows that a Pixar original without too much buzz and isn't advertised particularly well can be quite back-loaded, and CoCo is also much better received than TGD.

It's such a relieve to see that it won't be a flop:)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, NCsoft said:

Good point, TGD just shows that a Pixar original without too much buzz and isn't advertised particularly well can be quite back-loaded, and CoCo is also much better received than TGD.

It's such a relieve to see that it won't be a flop:)

Even without the frozen short it also has much more of a holiday movie feel 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, babz06 said:

I think they should have gone wide with Darkest Hour this week too or atleast early December. A lot of specialty/drama films are going wide during Christmas (Shape of Water, Disaster Artist, I Tonya, All the money in the World) then you have The Post, Molly’s Game and Phantom Thread going wide in early January. Tough market ahead. This Thanksgiving is pretty wide open with only Roman J Isreal as the new adult competition. Murder on the Orient Express should hold very well this week because of the lack of options. 

Somewhat similar, but I think STX really missed an opportunity by moving Molly's Game to December. Orient Express and Roman Israel were the only real adult-skewing films that came out this month, and the latter's being dumped, and with Three Billboards and Lady Bird only in a few hundred, having Molly as one of only two major adult films in the market would have made it more appealing as counterprogramming and deal with less competition, considering it now will have to compete against the buzzier Phantom Thread and Post on Christmas, and deal with their expansions and other Christmas/awards season holdovers in January and February.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Note to self: Never underestimate the Latino demo.

Jeebus, never thought Coco would be getting Moana numbers.

Came outta nowhere.

Like a Mexican ninja. :jeb!:

Well, not to be a total wet blanket...but there was an Atom $5/ticket deal combined with an Atom BOGO deal yesterday, so folks were getting 2 tickets for $5...I'd wait and see a few more days of box office before I declared this was matching Moana or was a shoe-in for $70M+ for 5 days...I mean, it just passed Wonder on Movietickets.com now...

• Like 1

Just now, CoolEric258 said:

Somewhat similar, but I think STX really missed an opportunity by moving Molly's Game to December. Orient Express and Roman Israel were the only real adult-skewing films that came out this month, and the latter's being dumped, and with Three Billboards and Lady Bird only in a few hundred, having Molly as one of only two major adult films in the market would have made it more appealing as counterprogramming and deal with less competition, considering it now will have to compete against the buzzier Phantom Thread and Post on Christmas, and deal with their expansions and other Christmas/awards season holdovers in January and February.

Yep, I'm super pissed STX moved it. Orient Express isn't having terribly strong legs, so it could have easily done well.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Well, not to be a total wet blanket...but there was an Atom $5/ticket deal combined with an Atom BOGO deal yesterday, so folks were getting 2 tickets for $5...I'd wait and see a few more days of box office before I declared this was matching Moana or was a shoe-in for $70M+ for 5 days...I mean, it just passed Wonder on Movietickets.com now...

Movie Tickets is a rolling 24 hour %.  Yesterday, Wonder had an entire Discount Tues to rack up $5m+ while Coco had previews

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Gonna take the opposite position.  There are a lot of movies people could have used those deals on and I'm sure they did (strong Tuesday).  Coco is at 18.9% on MT now and rising fast.  I think it is going to be a freight train through Thanksgiving and beyond.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rumpot said:

Gonna take the opposite position.  There are a lot of movies people could have used those deals on and I'm sure they did (strong Tuesday).  Coco is at 18.9% on MT now and rising fast.  I think it is going to be a freight train through Thanksgiving and beyond.  

Well, rising fast...it's risen about 1-1.5% since 9am...that's not that fast:)...

By 7pm (it's preview opening), it should be able to be compared 1-to-1 to all the movies...

5 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Well, rising fast...it's risen about 1-1.5% since 9am...that's not that fast:)...

By 7pm (it's preview opening), it should be able to be compared 1-to-1 to all the movies...

I saw 12.6% when I looked this am.  In any case we can agree that our disagreement on this is more basic.  I think it'll do quite well...let's see :)

• Like 1

this could be the biggest Thanksgiving weekend since 2013. November box office has been the first month in a long time that has little to no bombs. December will be solid as well with Star Wars already expecting to make $200+ OW, and Christmas also brings in some new surprises as well.

So 2017 may behave like 2013 where it easily becomes the record but it sneaks past it thanks to the Holiday season. 2018 is a wildcard though, don’t get me started on that.

18 minutes ago, Rumpot said:

Yup...was at 14.8% when I checked 3 hours ago. It’s rising ~1.4% per hour. 

Looks like Coco has another level of WOM, don't want to get my hopes up too much, but I'm starting to think it beating Moana's 5-day is a possibility. Box office really looking up the past few weeks, even with JL's underperformance. There's a lot of depth right now than we've had in awhile.

Edited by Jayhawk