That One Girl

5-Day Weekend Thread | Saturday #s (Asgard p.109) - Coco 17.7, Justice League 15.7, Wonder 8.3, Thor: Ragnarok 6.4, Daddy's Home 2 5.3

13 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

JL took 10 days to reach the OW numbers of BVS, that one marketed as a dark and serious movie. But critics said DC movies should be fun and colorful.

jtaOcSX.gif

WB should sue.

Lol, it's a bad movie man. That's it.

Thankfully, this is the end of the Snyder era.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

Was trying to come up with my top 10 movies of the year and realized there's not even one movie I remember loving. The year got off on the wrong foot when I was dying to see Get Out...and that turned out to be one giant steaming pile of shit. 

At least last year had The Witch, Arrival, Zootopia. 

I could not disagree more (besides with Get Out which I just found average). I think 2017 has been much stronger overall.

Sorry a lot hasn't lived up to your expectations.

14 minutes ago, a2knet said:

If it adds 2x the OS weekend more to it's cume gets to 454m. Then needs 246m dom for 700m.

Still tough imo. 2x the weekend more could be tough considering the weekend was inflated by Japan's ow.

Even if it gets there, 246 dom seems high. Even FB legs from now on take it to ~241m.

685-705 ww imo. That shot at 700+ alive.

700M seems to be the break even point, so below that and we're talking about a bomb rather than a flop.

2 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

You cant be serious right? Are you another SteveJaros?

If youre serious, you do understand that the massive dislike for BvS caused the drop-off for Justice League right? JL itself beeing a bad movie didnt help either but it doesnt having anything to do with the tone beeing lighter lmfao. Wonder Woman was colorfull and and had a "fun" tone and that didnt stop it from beeing the Summer winner, so your logic stinks.

He's a Snyder fanboy who thinks WB compromised his next surefire masterpiece with reshoots & Whedon's involvement to the point where it isn't even Snyder's movie anymore. So now he's found an excuse to gloat. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

You cant be serious right? Are you another SteveJaros?

If youre serious, you do understand that the massive dislike for BvS caused the drop-off for Justice League right? JL itself beeing a bad movie didnt help either but it doesnt having anything to do with the tone beeing lighter lmfao. Wonder Woman was colorfull and and had a "fun" tone and that didnt stop it from beeing the Summer winner, so your logic stinks.

Dude, you realize who that is right? This member called Snyder a god after BvS. I mean that's his opinion and he's free to have it but just know who you're talking to.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, somebody85 said:

Dude, you realize who that is right? This member called Snyder a god after BvS. I mean that's his opinion and he's free to have it but just know who you're talking to.

I didnt actually noticed him before :bourne:

• Astonished 1

5 minutes ago, Bishop54 said:

Under $700M worldwide for JL is the biggest disaster in recent memory.

There is no way anyone thought a Justice League movie would lose money. It's Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman (who is coming off an all-time successful film) meeting the rest of the Justice League for the first time. The arguments were about the extent that it would make a profit. There is no escaping this story for anyone who follows box office.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WrathOfHan said:

No way The Shape of Water goes that low; it'll do a minimum of 60M.

Oh yeah and speaking of that, does anyone know when it actually goes wide? I know it hits limited next week but I haven't seen any other dates yet.

Guessing end of December if not early January to stay away from TLJ and the other stuff being released around Christmas. Screener will probably be out by then.

Nothings out next week now if you don't live in NY or LA (I think those are the only two cities getting new releases). Disaster Artist doesn't go wide until the 8th.

If there is any saving grace for JL, it's that. Predicting Coco has a strong hold.

• Like 1

Good riddance Zack Snyder, you did a fantastic job at casting, time to move on to a new era of DC films and restore goodwill to the franchise starting with Aquaman.

Going forward, I expect the DCEU to look something like this:

Aquaman: 120M/365M/850M

Shazam: 80M/250M/680M

SS2: 140M/370M/840M

WW2: 150M/400M/900M

Batman: 160M/420M/1.03B

MoS 2: 155M/410M/950M

Flashpoint: 170M/430M/1.05B

I honestly think that the DCEU curse will be undone by SS2. Focus on the solo movies first, get those right and then have Flashpoint which will be the DCEU's Civil War.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Coco might go over JL WW. I never say that coming. Hell, I thought JL would double it.

Coco should finish from $210M-$250M.

$100M from China

$50M from Mexico

$50M-$100M from Japan

Assuming JL finishes at $675M WW, Coco needs anywhere from $175M-$225M from everywhere else to top it.  There’s even a chance if this explodes in Japan, has strong legs here and does great business in both Latin America and Europe, Coco can reach $1B :ohmygod:

• Like 4

I enjoy weekends like these, where almost everything reaps some form of benefit.

Obviously, Coco did super impressive. It didn't do quite as amazing as Moana did, but considering Coco was a much harder sell, it's good to see it at least beat out Tangled (at least when it comes to estimates) Hopefully, that A+ Cinemascore helps the movie achieve amazing legs before Star Wars, Ferdinand, and the other Christmas flicks take away attention from families and general audiences.

Justice League's drop isn't completely awful, especially compared to the 2nd weekend drops for BvS and Suicide Squad, but I don't think it's something WB should breathe easy about, especially considering the total's still not up to my and many others expectations. I'm still not one of those "DCEU IZ DED" guys, but I feel a few changes in their current development schedule are inevitable.

In the case of the holdovers, everyone else did wonderful. Wonder is showing great staying power, Thor: Ragnarok is inching ever closer to the triple century mark, and Daddy's Home and Orient Express are still neck and neck with one another, and staying absolutely steady from last week is absolutley remarkable. Hopefully at least one of them joins the century club this year, for genre diversity's sake. The Star and Bad Moms also held well. In the latter's case, I guess opening on the first of November wasn't much of a hindrance, considering how the film doesn't seem to have that much of a drop gross-wise to the first Bad Moms.

Specailty-wise, Roman Israel did...whatever, while Three Billboards and Lady Bird did very well with their expansions, and both will likely still do well throughout the rest of the awards season. Darkest Hour also saw a pretty decent opening. Of course the real standout was CMBYN. A PTA just under Moonlight is awesome, and hopefully this bodes well for a Moonlight-esque run during awards season.

So yeah, lit weekend all around.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, somebody85 said:

Oh yeah and speaking of that, does anyone know when it actually goes wide? I know it hits limited next week but I haven't seen any other dates yet.

Guessing end of December if not early January to stay away from TLJ and the other stuff being released around Christmas. Screener will probably be out by then.

It'd be a major missed opportunity if they at least expand it into 600-800 theaters by Christmas. Probably won't hit 1500+ until January.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Coco might go over JL WW. I never say that coming. Hell, I thought JL would double it.

Coco should finish from $210M-$250M.

$100M from China

$50M from Mexico

$50M-$100M from Japan

Assuming JL finishes at $675M WW, Coco needs anywhere from $175M-$225M from everywhere else to top it.  There’s even a chance if this explodes in Japan, has strong legs here and does great business in both Latin America and Europe, Coco can reach $1B :ohmygod:

It's like Zootopia and BvS all over again.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

I don't see Darkest Hour going very high. What appeal is there to it other than watching Gary Oldman in near-cartoonish makeup make speeches in dusty rooms? It's one of the less interesting movies of the awards season and doesn't have the acclaim or the guaranteed presence in the Oscar race (aside from Oldman) to make up for it. 

I haven't seen the film but the time period of May/June 1940 would make for a very good political thriller of sorts as you have a tug of war in the British Cabinet between the hawks and the appeasers as to whether to consider peace with Germany after France got blitzkrieged. From the trailers the film goes to more of a standard biopic drama route.

• Like 3