That One Girl

5-Day Weekend Thread | Saturday #s (Asgard p.109) - Coco 17.7, Justice League 15.7, Wonder 8.3, Thor: Ragnarok 6.4, Daddy's Home 2 5.3

4 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Just realized 2019 will be the first time in a long time there will be no big tentpole scheduled for that weekend before Thanksgiving, at least as of now. 

Some big opening weekends on those dates. WB has WONDER WOMAN 2 scheduled for November 1 since there is no other movie schedule for the first Friday in November like there has been in the recent past (2018 - X-MEN: DARK PHOENIX, 2017 - THOR: RAGNAROK, 2016 - DOCTOR STRANGE, 2015 - SPECTRE, 2014 - BIG HERO 6/INTERSTELLAR). I guess between that and the the likely juggernaut FROZEN 2 scheduled for the 5 day Thanksgiving weekend, nobody wants to out a tentpole in between.

My guess is Bond 26 (or whatever # it is) takes it

• Like 1

Estimated PTAs for the 3 day:

Coco: $11,788

JL: $10,886

Wonder: $9,142

Three Billboards: $6,987

Thor: $5,486

Lady Bird: $4,905

Orient Express: $4,346

Daddy's Home: $4,065

The Star: $2,591

Bad Moms: $2,342

Roman Israel: $2,217

Man Who Invented Christmas: $1,833

There's going to be some ugly ass PTAs next weekend for those bottom four :jeb!: Daddy's Home and Orient Express will probably go under 2k too. 

Brainiac might have a point though. Maybe WB should be content having that pre-Thanksgiving slot every other year for their Fantastic Beasts movies and keep their DC movies to the summer (We know anything Batman does well in the summer) or March or something.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Brainiac5 said:

The Summer would’ve helped the films Legs as it is better received than BVS.

WB shot themselves im the foot as They put the film in the middle of a battle with its release date.

MThey did the same thing to BVS as well.

How many non summer Billion dollar CBM’s are there?Theres a reason why Disney keeps thier biggest tentpole in the summer and it’s not just because it’s a pretty day.

WB needs better  Strategy going forward as even a bad film can make a lot of money.

It would not have done better in the summer against more competition.  This weekend is traditionally good for legs.  

3 hours ago, Brainiac5 said:

WB shot themselves im the foot as They put the film in the middle of a battle with its release date.

How many non summer Billion dollar CBM’s are there?Theres a reason why Disney keeps thier biggest tentpole in the summer and it’s not just because it’s a pretty day.

WB needs better  Strategy going forward as even a bad film can make a lot of money.

There's plenty of billion dollar non summer movies and the top three films all came out between November and end of December.  WB didn't make a mistake releasing it around Thanksgiving, it's a terrific spot to release it in.  The problem with JL is that everyone hated BvS so this film is paying for the sins of that one.  This film isn't hated, not in the way that the last one was.  The release date is fine and releasing it in the summer wouldn't have made a difference.  

If there's interest in a film, people will go no matter when it's released.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, a2knet said:

WB would never had seen IT do 123/328. Else they would have let JL release in early 2018 imo. JL was supposed to be their biggie. WONDR's 410+ was unprecedented too. Next year looks weak in comparison.

Precisely,So you give that film the Best release date amongst all your releases.

I know what they are doing and that’s putting the  film they believe is going to need the most help on the best dates.

3 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

Estimated PTAs for the 3 day:

Coco: $11,788

JL: $10,886

Wonder: $9,142

Three Billboards: $6,987

Thor: $5,486

Lady Bird: $4,905

Orient Express: $4,346

Daddy's Home: $4,065

The Star: $2,591

Bad Moms: $2,342

Roman Israel: $2,217

Man Who Invented Christmas: $1,833

There's going to be some ugly ass PTAs next weekend for those bottom four :jeb!: Daddy's Home and Orient Express will probably go under 2k too. 

Where are you getting these numbers from?  What page are the numbers on?

I'm just reposting this because I don't know what page they are on:

.) Coco (DIS), 3,987 theaters / $13.3M Fri. (includes $2.3M previews) / 3-day cume: $47M /5-day:$70M  Wk 1

2.) Justice League (WB), 4,051 theaters / $10.45M Wed  3-day cume: $44.1M  (-53%)/5-day:$63.6M/Total: $175.4M/ Wk 2

3.) Wonder (WB), 3,140  theaters (+44) /$6M Wed. 3-day cume: $29M / 5-day: $40.9M/Total: $78M/Wk 2

4). Thor: Ragnarok (DIS), 3,281 theaters (-779) / $4M Wed./ 3-day cume: $18M (-17%) / 5-day: $25.5M/Total cume: $278.8M / Wk 4

5.) Daddy’s Home 2 (PAR), 3,518 theaters (-57) / $2.7M Wed/ 3-day cume: $14.3M (-1%)/ 5-day: $19.2M/ Total: $73.2M/Wk 3

6.) Murder on the Orient Express (FOX), 3,214 theaters (-140)/ $2.55M Wed/ 3-day cume: $13.7M (-1%)/5-day: $18.9M/Total: $74.5M/ Wk 3

7.)The Star (SONY), 2,837 theaters / $1.64M Wed. /3-day cume: $7.35M (-25%)/ 5-day:$10.1M /Total:$22.6M/Wk 2

8). A Bad Moms Christmas (STX), 2,948 theaters (-639) /$1.07M Wed/3-day cume: $5.4M (-23%) / 5-day: $7.5M/Total cume: $60.5M / Wk 4

three-billboards-24.jpg?w=301&h=202&crop
Twentieth Century Fox

9.) Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, MO (FSL), 590 theaters (+537) / $786K Wed. / 3-day cume: $4.29M (+246%) / 5-day: $5.75M/Total: $7.5M /Wk 3

10). Lady Bird (A24), 741 theaters (+503) /$754K Wed/ 3-day cume: $3.88M (+52%)/ 5-day:$5.4M/  Total cume: $10.7M / Wk 4

11.) Roman J. Israel, Esq. (SONY),1,648 theaters (+1,644)/ $752K Wed. / 3-day cume: $3.7M /5-day: $5.2M/Total: $5.2M/Wk 2

12.) The Man Who Invented Christmas (BST), 532 theaters / $198K Wed. /3-day cume: $975K /5-day: $1.4M/ Wk 1

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, scabab said:

So is that good or bad for Justice League for Wednesday?

What will it be at by Sunday?

let me give you a real answer and not some troll hater response. Since tuesday saw a bigger increase than FB and other thanksgiving tuesdays its neither bad or good

this board is roaming with trolls its the new imdb boards now. No denying that anymore.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 1

8 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

If by crappy movie you mean BvS, then I agree.

Audiences bailed en mass after that train wreck.

That, and Justice League was considered only marginally better. Seems like these DC / WB biggest issues is that they need to make more better comic book films. 

Personally, I think WB should release most of their DC films in mid-July and let them gobble up August. It's traditionally the Christopher Nolan spot (TDK, Inception, TDKR, Dunkirk) and it works well. SUICIDE SQUAD, a poorly reviewed film, released in early August and did the same. I think it could work.

By the way, these posts aren't meant to absolve WB of making terrible movies. Not at all. Just playing devil's advocate here.

Edited by JB33
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Christmas baumer said:

There's plenty of billion dollar non summer movies and the top three films all came out between November and end of December.  WB didn't make a mistake releasing it around Thanksgiving, it's a terrific spot to release it in.  The problem with JL is that everyone hated BvS so this film is paying for the sins of that one.  This film isn't hated, not in the way that the last one was.  The release date is fine and releasing it in the summer wouldn't have made a difference.  

If there's interest in a film, people will go no matter when it's released.

I said “Non summer Billion dollar CBM’s”

We all know these films are going to be frontloaded and Summer helps out in the long run when kids are out of schools then when they are in.

Look at it this way ,WB put BVS and JL on dates that traditional have bad 2nd and 3rd Weekend drops. They knew this when they claimed the dates.

7 minutes ago, Brainiac5 said:

BVS pretty much had a dead Spring. It had no problem until Jungle Book and if good it could’ve co exist with Zootopia. Had BVS been good it’s legs would’ve been better. 

Again, regardless of release date, the Avengers and TDK series would’ve been big. Yes the summer is a historic spot for blockbusters but it doesn’t matter tbh. Star Wars has the biggest OW ever with a winter release.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, mredman said:

let me give you a real answer and not some troll hater response. Since tuesday saw a bigger increase than FB and other thanksgiving tuesdays its neither bad or good

this board is roaming with trolls its the new imdb boards now. No denying that anymore.

tenor.gif?itemid=5877833

• Like 4

3 hours ago, mredman said:

As a moderator I take great offense to this statement.  We work hard here to make this place hospitable for everyone and we make sure this is not like imdb, in any way shape or form.  There's a lot of hate here for WB's DCEU, I agree, and it annoys me as well.  But if you have a problem with some of this stuff, just ignore it.  We are nothing like imdb boards.

There has to be some kind of correlation with the bigger Tuesday numbers and the soft Wednesday increases, I agree with you.  I mentioned this early this morning.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

My theater has been pretty quiet today. The 3D Coco in a few minutes isn't even halfway full, and the Wonder that just started only sold around 35 tickets.

JL's 2D shows are only selling about 20 each while 3D continues to perform like shit :lol:

Meanwhile, Bad Moms and Daddy's Home have been selling near-empty auditoriums; the former's first show didn't even sell anything and the latter's first only sold one ticket.

OE, The Star, and Thor are performing fine-ish with around 15-20 tickets per show.

• Sad 1