That One Girl

5-Day Weekend Thread | Saturday #s (Asgard p.109) - Coco 17.7, Justice League 15.7, Wonder 8.3, Thor: Ragnarok 6.4, Daddy's Home 2 5.3

3 minutes ago, mredman said:

let me give you a real answer and not some troll hater response. Since tuesday saw a bigger increase than FB and other thanksgiving tuesdays its neither bad or good

this board is roaming with trolls its the new imdb boards now. No denying that anymore.

It is a bad number.  It is one of the only movies that's dropped even with movies having big jumps on Tuesday but more importantly, its way lower than Mockingjay Part 2 which opened only $8M higher for its weekend and actually behind Fantastic Beasts which opened $20M lower.  There is no argument that this is anything other than a bad number.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Brainiac might have a point though. Maybe WB should be content having that pre-Thanksgiving slot every other year for their Fantastic Beasts movies and keep their DC movies to the summer (We know anything Batman does well in the summer) or March or something.

BVS originally had July as it’s release date and in that same spot Batman made a Billion twice .

If it was me ?Thats where I want to be but since we got Spiderman this year ...August would’ve been most likely where it would’ve been.

1 minute ago, That One Guy said:

A decrease on Thanksgiving Wednesday is not good.  There's no getting around that.

It isn't just that. Look at in the context of Fantastic Beasts and Mockingjay 2 and it looks even worse.  Fantastic Beasts had good legs but it's legs weren't so huge that a movie that opened $20M lower should have already passed JL in dailies.  

• Like 1

It doesnt matter where and when a Movie - or CBM - is released. If it gets great WOM it will be succesfull. Deadpool might be the best example for this.

JL just isnt getting the reception to do these kinds of numbers. Add to that the toxic reception of BvS (and SS) and you have an underperformer. Release dates have nothing to do with it.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Christmas baumer said:

As a moderator I take great offense to this statement.  We work hard here to make this place hospitable for everyone and we make sure this is not like imdb, in any way shape or form.  There's a lot of hate here for WB's DCEU, I agree, and it annoys me as well.  But if you have a problem with some of this stuff, just ignore it.  We are nothing like imdb boards.

There has to be some kind of correlation with the bigger Tuesday numbers and the soft Wednesday increases, I agree with you.  I mentioned this early this morning.

BOT is a still a great place, I thought the website would’ve went to shit this month but I was wrong.

My bet is that it since CBMs tend to have smaller Tuesday jumps and bigger Wednesday falls, I bet that this happen with JL, on the bright side if true, it’ll have a small drop Thursday.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SoSaysI said:

It is a bad number.  It is one of the only movies that's dropped even with movies having big jumps on Tuesday but more importantly, its way lower than Mockingjay Part 2 which opened only $8M higher for its weekend and actually behind Fantastic Beasts which opened $20M lower.  There is no argument that this is anything other than a bad number.

3 hours ago, That One Guy said:

A decrease on Thanksgiving Wednesday is not good.  There's no getting around that.

There's also no getting around that many of the increases are much lower than years past and there's no denying that Tuesdays are bigger every year.

There's also no denying that JL is not going to be a massive wom monster.

I'm still pegging it to do about 19 mill on Friday.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, YourMother said:

BVS pretty much had a dead Spring. It had no problem until Jungle Book and if good it could’ve co exist with Zootopia. Had BVS been good it’s legs would’ve been better. 

Again, regardless of release date, the Avengers and TDK series would’ve been big. Yes the summer is a historic spot for blockbusters but it doesn’t matter tbh. Star Wars has the biggest OW ever with a winter release.

There’s still school going on and nobody is on vacation.

Sure it’s empty as far as films goes but most people aren’t going to the movies which is why the dates were empty in the first place.

9 minutes ago, Christmas baumer said:

I'm just reposting this because I don't know what page they are on:

.) Coco (DIS), 3,987 theaters / $13.3M Fri. (includes $2.3M previews) / 3-day cume: $47M /5-day:$70M  Wk 1

2.) Justice League (WB), 4,051 theaters / $10.45M Wed  3-day cume: $44.1M  (-53%)/5-day:$63.6M/Total: $175.4M/ Wk 2

3.) Wonder (WB), 3,140  theaters (+44) /$6M Wed. 3-day cume: $29M / 5-day: $40.9M/Total: $78M/Wk 2

4). Thor: Ragnarok (DIS), 3,281 theaters (-779) / $4M Wed./ 3-day cume: $18M (-17%) / 5-day: $25.5M/Total cume: $278.8M / Wk 4

5.) Daddy’s Home 2 (PAR), 3,518 theaters (-57) / $2.7M Wed/ 3-day cume: $14.3M (-1%)/ 5-day: $19.2M/ Total: $73.2M/Wk 3

6.) Murder on the Orient Express (FOX), 3,214 theaters (-140)/ $2.55M Wed/ 3-day cume: $13.7M (-1%)/5-day: $18.9M/Total: $74.5M/ Wk 3

7.)The Star (SONY), 2,837 theaters / $1.64M Wed. /3-day cume: $7.35M (-25%)/ 5-day:$10.1M /Total:$22.6M/Wk 2

8). A Bad Moms Christmas (STX), 2,948 theaters (-639) /$1.07M Wed/3-day cume: $5.4M (-23%) / 5-day: $7.5M/Total cume: $60.5M / Wk 4

three-billboards-24.jpg?w=301&h=202&crop
Twentieth Century Fox

9.) Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, MO (FSL), 590 theaters (+537) / $786K Wed. / 3-day cume: $4.29M (+246%) / 5-day: $5.75M/Total: $7.5M /Wk 3

10). Lady Bird (A24), 741 theaters (+503) /$754K Wed/ 3-day cume: $3.88M (+52%)/ 5-day:$5.4M/  Total cume: $10.7M / Wk 4

11.) Roman J. Israel, Esq. (SONY),1,648 theaters (+1,644)/ $752K Wed. / 3-day cume: $3.7M /5-day: $5.2M/Total: $5.2M/Wk 2

12.) The Man Who Invented Christmas (BST), 532 theaters / $198K Wed. /3-day cume: $975K /5-day: $1.4M/ Wk 1

Love those Wonder and Star numbers...hope both can even go higher over the next few days, especially The Star as folks are actually willing to start celebrating the Christmas season after Thanksgiving (I know I won't listen to a song or see a movie til Thanksgiving is properly celebrated - The Macy's parade is my personal kick-off as Santa comes:)...

2 minutes ago, Christmas baumer said:

There's also no getting around that many of the increases are much lower than years past and there's no denying that Tuesdays are bigger every year.

There's also no denying that JL is not going to be a massive wom monster.

I'm still pegging it to do about 19 mill on Friday.

I don't see why it would have a higher Friday than Fantastic Beasts when it already fell behind it in dailies and clearly doesn't have as good of WOM.

5 minutes ago, Christmas baumer said:

As a moderator I take great offense to this statement.  We work hard here to make this place hospitable for everyone and we make sure this is not like imdb, in any way shape or form.  There's a lot of hate here for WB's DCEU, I agree, and it annoys me as well.  But if you have a problem with some of this stuff, just ignore it.  We are nothing like imdb boards.

There has to be some kind of correlation with the bigger Tuesday numbers and the soft Wednesday increases, I agree with you.  I mentioned this early this morning.

exactly. but these haters totally ignore this. Which is biased of them to do this. It saw a 1% decrease hardly something to write home about but they make it a big deal. It only did 5% less than Wonder. i mean WTH. and they make it sound like its worlds end smh.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Nope. They're probably bad if they aren't reporting them :lol: 

Or they're taking the holiday off.

FWIW, I'm not expecting a mind-blowing PTA (or at least not the insane average of what Call Me by Your Name is looking to post). It should land in the same range as The Danish Girl (another Focus Thanksgiving weekend specialty release) of $46K, and will likely do better in expansion (Deadline confirmed earlier that it'll be expanding to the top 10 markets on December 8 before its "wide" launch December 22).

2 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

It doesnt matter where and when a Movie - or CBM - is released. If it gets great WOM it will be succesfull. Deadpool might be the best example for this.

JL just isnt getting the reception to do these kinds of numbers. Add to that the toxic reception of BvS (and SS) and you have an underperformer. Release dates have nothing to do with it.

This is why you need Strategy.

Putting a sequel to a film with BVS Reception in the middle of all these other films was not a good ideal ,period.