That One Girl

5-Day Weekend Thread | Saturday #s (Asgard p.109) - Coco 17.7, Justice League 15.7, Wonder 8.3, Thor: Ragnarok 6.4, Daddy's Home 2 5.3

7 minutes ago, meriodejaneiro said:

This is a bit off topic, but now that you are talking about Cars franchise ... and since we all know Cars 2 and Cars 3 were made basically for merchandise-purposes ... is there any site where you can look up other-than-boxoffice-incomes. I mean, how much each movie makes selling dvd, blu ray, and general merchandise...?

I know The Numbers.com, where you can check on dvd and blu-ray sales.

For example, I remember reading somewhere that Cars made some absurdly $3B in merchandise. And Cars 2 made "only" $1,6B in merchandise. Is there any site where to check on that side of the film industry? I'm curious about knowing how much Disney makes selling StarWars or Marvel toys, for example. Or Pixar/WDA movies. Like, The Good Dinosaur was a boxoffice flop ... but maybe merchandise made it up for the film.

You can find information on sites like The Richest, Forbes & what have you regarding merchandising sales. I think at one point Cars was actually selling $10B dollars in merchandising around 2014, but it's cooled a bit down in terms of sales since then. 

In the case of The Good Dinosaur, there wasn't enough merchandising to save the film. Unlike the first Cars, it wasn't a hit. 

1 minute ago, AJG said:

Why not? It’s a real prossibilty in my opinion. 

Plus the disprespect would be delicious.

I can see a $80M OW but not enough of a Jump for an $90M OW.

33 minutes ago, mredman said:

DCEU isnt going anywhere no studio in their right mind would cancel a franchise that brought in 3.4 billion for them in ticket sales alone from movies with a combined budget of 800 million.

phase 2 have always been with solo movies first and then likely lead up to JL 2. This is actually the MCU way too.

I think Ben will leave and that will be the only one of them. Rest they are keeping.

Yes, the DC characters have made WB a fortune and will do so in the future. Those cackling about JL are swinging at ghosts, crazy.

Edited by SteveJaros
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Shut the fuck up alright you ugly turkey. Unseasoned, no salt, dry, overall gross. 

Beyond saving. You didn't even soak yourself in lemon and vinegar before you were cooked so I taste your blood and you will make me sick.

Yuck

19 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

You can find information on sites like The Richest, Forbes & what have you regarding merchandising sales. I think at one point Cars was actually selling $10B dollars in merchandising around 2014, but it's cooled a bit down in terms of sales since then. 

In the case of The Good Dinosaur, there wasn't enough merchandising to save the film. Unlike the first Cars, it wasn't a hit. 

The Good Dinosaur made $60M in dvd+blu-ray. Not bad. From those sales ... what percentage can the studio retain? Certainly more than the 50-60% they get from domestic box office, for sure.

2 minutes ago, raegr said:

Shut the fuck up alright you ugly turkey. Unseasoned, no salt, dry, overall gross. 

Beyond saving. You didn't even soak yourself in lemon and vinegar before you were cooked so I taste your blood and you will make me sick.

Yuck

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, raegr said:

Yuck

These posts are making me consider underage drinking.

• Like 1

Humm..I really hope Justice League doesn't have a problem here in Brazil. The Snowman just got released and I'm seeing several sellouts for that movie.

Considering the word of mouth seems bad/mediocre from some friends who watched it, perhaps The Snowman will melt fast and Justice League will keep performing great.

9 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

Humm..I really hope Justice League doesn't have a problem here in Brazil. The Snowman just got released and I'm seeing several sellouts for that movie.

Considering the word of mouth seems bad/mediocre from some friends who watched it, perhaps The Snowman will melt fast and Justice League will keep performing great.

So do people in Brazil just watch anything?

• Like 1
  • Haha 6
  • Astonished 1

4 minutes ago, AJG said:

It's hard to answer that question. I know Fantastic Four flopped here.  Many people don't read RT. I can say that. Most of my friends don't even know what RT is, and that's surprising.

Then again, Universal is promoting the movie really well here. Many think the trailer was awesome. But yeah, I'm sure word of mouth will be bad. 

Next week is Jigsaw. 

43 minutes ago, meriodejaneiro said:

The Good Dinosaur made $60M in dvd+blu-ray. Not bad. From those sales ... what percentage can the studio retain? Certainly more than the 50-60% they get from domestic box office, for sure.

A decent amount maybe, but probably not enough to save it financially really.

1 hour ago, AJG said:

I think people in Brazil just go to the movies and have fun and not worry about dissecting every detail. They're not movie snobs like a lot of North Americans. I say this from experience because I have a few Brazilian friends (more like friends of the family) and they've talked about how in Brazil they're happy to just go watch something that looks fun or interesting or funny, whereas they noticed a contingent of North Americans are really picky and judge movies like they're food critics. 

We're really really spoiled in North America. A lot of people àround the world are just happy to go to a movie and escape in it. 

Edited by JB33
  • Like 3