That One Girl

5-Day Weekend Thread | Saturday #s (Asgard p.109) - Coco 17.7, Justice League 15.7, Wonder 8.3, Thor: Ragnarok 6.4, Daddy's Home 2 5.3

30 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

You guys have no idea how much coverage Rogue One's first teaser trailer had in most parts of Asia when Donnie Yen showed up in it. Note that Donnie Yen is one of the highest paid actors in Asia, with his movies breaking many box office records in Asia. Ip Man 3 held records in Singapore, HK, Malaysia despite opening with Force Awakens.

Major newspaper were reporting it, and when Donnie Yen shared the trailer on his FB, the retweet numbers from Asian fans were huge..

But then, LucasFilm screwed up the marketing, by putting a huge Felicity Jones' face on the poster(did not help that she was emotionless in the movie), and then many Asians felt that Donnie's role must be pretty small.

And then the initial WoM was that Donnie only appeared 30mins into the film..and barely had any fight scenes, luckily his acting as Chirrut stole the show and he improvised the funniest line in the movie, the week to week drops in Asian Markets was better than expected and the OD in China was 4x of presales (extremely rare at that time for a HLW film).

Note that Rogue One did not even beat Donnie Yen's Ip Man 3 in markets like Malaysia, China, Singapore and HK.

Then Paramount learnt from it and was smart, they placed Donnie Yen's face front and center of xXx3 - infront of Vin Diesel, and xXx3 earned more than 2x of Rogue One's gross in China. Lol.

Btw Synder contacted Donnie Yen several times for a cameo role in Justice League, which will become a big role in one of the standalone movies, but Donnie turned it down. 

Hear hear!  Yes, it makes a difference. :bravo:

3 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

At this point I don’t see how it makes it to $750m. I’m worried it won’t even get to $700m. 

No chance of it hitting $750m. $700m is very slim. I think it finishes with $680m.

• Like 1

Other trailer observations:

Last Flag Flying is expanding next week. I don't know how significant this expansion is, but it'll probably be at least 300 theaters.

Hostiles is supposed to be going wide on January 19. We'll see about that, Entertainment Studios.

I, Tonya's green band trailer is really bad and awkward as hell. They cut out the vulgar jokes and didn't really replace them with anything :gold: 

12 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

At this point I don’t see how it makes it to $750m. I’m worried it won’t even get to $700m. 

This movie will struggle to make 600 million worldwide, in my view. Didn't X-Men Apocalypse make 543 million or anything like that?

Everything is possible, though.

19 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Three Billboards isn't top 3 but it's definitely top 5 (I have Blade Runner, Apes, Logan, and Coco ahead of it)

My top 5 is probably very similar...haven't thought about it enough to lock in but those are all at least in contention.  I liked three billboards, but I'm not sure where to put it yet.  I liked it the whole way through but I wasn't as satisfied when I left as I expected to be 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Caleb Landry Jones has been having one hell of a year:

American Made

The Florida Project

Get Out

Three Billboards
Twin Peaks

This isn't unlike another redhead's rise from 2015 :jeb!: 

Is he a redneck in all of them (can confirm for AM, Get Out, and Twin Peaks)

• Like 1

Just now, MrPink said:

Is he a redneck in all of them (can confirm for AM, Get Out, and Twin Peaks)

not in florida project. he plays willem dafoe's son and they're not even trying to out weird each other or anything. pretty normal dude in that.

• Astonished 2

26 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

This movie will struggle to make 600 million worldwide, in my view. Didn't X-Men Apocalypse make 543 million or anything like that?

Everything is possible, though.

Naah...600m it will make easily...it's 700m+ is where it will struggle ...although I think it will make it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Disbelief 1