That One Girl

5-Day Weekend Thread | Saturday #s (Asgard p.109) - Coco 17.7, Justice League 15.7, Wonder 8.3, Thor: Ragnarok 6.4, Daddy's Home 2 5.3

5 hours ago, TigerPaw said:

All the films are doing worse...

It's not a surprise - my theaters rocked the morning/mid-afternoon, but fell off a little at night...probably b/c everyone was tired from 2 days of eating and shopping, and the thought of a late night Friday was not appealing:)...

1 minute ago, Jake Gittes said:

Inherent Vice has amazing pacing/editing. It's what I imagine being baked feels like in the same way the last day as a wiseguy sequence in Goodfellas is what I imagine being coked out of one's mind feels like. 

Maybe I'll be on that train one day, but I had no patience for it. It's easily his weakest movie (haven't seen Magnolia or Hard Eight but it's a fair assumption that they're better)

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

Maybe I'll be on that train one day, but I had no patience for it. It's easily his weakest movie (haven't seen Magnolia or Hard Eight but it's a fair assumption that they're better)

Definitely revisit it down the road. It's better when you already know what you're in for.

FWIW Magnolia is my least favorite and I'm in a much smaller minority there than you are with IV. 

1 hour ago, YourMother said:

Again as the laws of most sequels. JL suffered the for the sins of the last movie(s). BVS not being well liked hurt this amongst audiences and reviews didn’t help.

Good sequels, bad sequels, everything is falling: CARS3, APES3, DADHO2, K2, BAD MOMS2, POTC5, TF5, JL, ALIEN:C, F8, 50SHADES2, BOO!2, NUTJOB2, DM3

[Interestingly CARS3 is the only one with a ~20% from it's predecessor. All else dropped well above 20%. Let's see what SW8 does, ~750m gives it a 20% drop]

GOTG2, ANNA2, THOR3, JWICK2 (+114%) increased.

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, a2knet said:

Good sequels, bad sequels, everything is falling: CARS3, APES3, DADHO2, K2, BAD MOMS2, POTC5, TF5, JL, ALIEN:C, F8, 50SHADES2, BOO!2, NUTJOB2

[Interestingly CARS3 is the only one with a ~20% from it's predecessor. All else dropped well above 20%. Let's see what SW8 does, ~750m gives it a 20% drop]

Technically, Blade Runner 2049 also increased from its predecessor :sparta: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

14 minutes ago, Goffe said:

Saying it’s slow and captivating is a contradictory notion to me. If it’s captivating it’s not slow because you’re captivated? 

Please don't leave me scarred and deformed, Jake.

Slow and boring are not synonyms. 

• Like 9

In the top-8, MOTOE is the only one that increases, that too by a big 10%. If it does 13m for 74.6m cume like Deadline predicts, I think 90m is locked even with a big drop next weekend.

It will do ~12m more from rest of the weekends combined, leaving it needing just 3-4m from rest of the weekdays to touch 90m. Should get close to 95m.

9 minutes ago, Goffe said:

Saying it’s slow and captivating is a contradictory notion to me. If it’s captivating it’s not slow because you’re captivated? 

Please don't leave me scarred and deformed, Jake.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slow_cinema

Granted PTA doesn't go anywhere near those extremes but still. Replace "slow" with "unhurried" or "deliberately paced" if it's easier. I guess the problem is that we can use the word very differently - we often say "slow" and mean "boring", but it can also be just a description rather than a judgment of quality, which is what I'm talking about right now.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, a2knet said:

Good sequels, bad sequels, everything is falling: CARS3, APES3, DADHO2, K2, BAD MOMS2, POTC5, TF5, JL, ALIEN:C, F8, 50SHADES2, BOO!2, NUTJOB2

Not to mention DM3. Even well liked movies had their sequels drop, Lego Batman and Ninjago, and BR2049 barely increased.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, YourMother said:

Not to mention DM3. Even well liked movies had their sequels drop, Lego Batman and Ninjago, and BR2049 barely increased.

Yeah I forgot DM3. Lego and Ninjago are not really sequels, like FB1 was also not a sequel.

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 1

So glad 'Coco' is doing good. I can't see it until next week but the movie looks fantastic, I thought this wouldn't cross 200M DOM or 550M WW and it looks like it will do +245M DOM and +650M WW. Overall I consider 2017 a weak year for animation and 'Coco' seems to be the best option (no offense to other animated movies) , I think 2018 will be much bigger for animation with 'Incredibles 2' (+350M DOM), 'The Grinch' (+300M DOM), 'Hotel Transylvania 3' (+125M DOM) and 'Ralph 2' (+150M DOM)

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Can we fast forward past the next two "calm before the storm" weekends?

nah :). it's going to be fun to follow coco cause we have a nice comp in moana. jl is also amusing to follow. also want motoe to make it north of 95. wonder if the studio will care to help it to 100 if it gets close.

Edited by a2knet
  • Thanks 1

Animated movies this year (what I have seen so far) : 

1. The LEGO Batman Movie 

2. The Boss Baby 

3. Cars 3

4. Despicable Me 3 

5. The Emoji Movie 

Such a weak year, 'LEGO Batman' is good but nothing special. 

COCO's Audience score on RT is 97%. Started off at 96% and increased 1%.

JL is on 83%. Was 86% on OD so has stayed steady. I think it could stay 80%+. At least should stay above MOS's 75%.

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 2