baumer

Top 25 films of 1997 (Top two will be unveiled tonight) The final two revealed on page 12

The Ice Storm is in the Sound section of my class's film textbook. It says that it uses the sound of a bilzzard in subversive ways. That sounds like something an aeutur like Ang Lee might try to do. It's interesting how a film like this can have an impact.

• Like 2

Con Air

Written by:  Scott Rosenberg

Directed by:  Simon West

Starring:  (everyone who has ever acted in a movie) Nicolas Cage, John Cusack, Steve Buscemi, Ving Rhames, John Malkovich and many others

WW Box office:  224 million

41ESJiS7UEL._SY300_.jpg

Number of 1st place votes:  0

Number of Lists:  12

Academy Awards:  2 nominations and 0 wins

Cameron Poe is a highly decorated military officer who is sent to prison because of killing a man while defending his wife. Seven years later, he is granted a parole. He is put on a plane with many other convicts. Everything looks smooth until one of the convicts, Cyrus "The Virus" Grissom breaks out of his restraints and takes control of the plane. The D.E.A quickly learns of the event and plans on shooting the plane down, but U.S. Marshall Vince Larkin sees Poe as an ally and tries to work with him before his superiors shoot down the plane.

This was back when Nicolas Cage was at the apex of his career.  He had two big hits in 1997 (the other is coming up).  He had just won an academy award for best actor and starred in arguably one of the best action films of the decade (The Rock).  People couldn't get enough of Cage at this point.  Con Air benefits from a lot of terrific actors and of course, Cage was the centre piece.

Random Critic Remark:  Con Air helped redefine action films for the 1990s. Like Gone in 60 Seconds, it is the quintessential high-octane action flick. The characters are extreme and completely unrealistic, but that works fine in the structure of the film. As far as big budget action films go, Con Air delivers. 

The cast is well assembled, with Ving Rhames and Steve Buscemi as memorable convicts. John Cusack slums with the big-budget films, taking a break from his innovative independent work. He's an asset to the film for sure. And even though John Malkovich plays yet another version of Malkovich, he comes across well as the insane leader of the bad guys:  Kevin Carr:  7M Pictures

Random forum comment:  A stone-cold action classic. Has everything you can ever wish for from a movie like this.  @The Stingray

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

69 Fierce Creatures 12
69 Mr. Magoo 12
71 Private Parts 11.5
72 Flubber 10
72 The Apostle 10
72 Vegas Vacation 10
75 Leila 8
75 Perfect Blue 8
75 Gone Fishin' 8
75 The Saint 8
79 My Life In Pink 7
  • Like 3

Yup The Lost World made it, again barely, and ahead of Amistad, which is probably the better film. Still I've always enjoyed The Lost World, especially as a jungle adventure movie. Also pleased that Hercules is on this list, was worried that it might not even make it. Honestly I've always viewed as an underrated Disney film, it's a lot of fun. I also really like The Ice Storm, to me is a strong family drama, and hell yeah Con Air should be higher then Face-Off, that film is awesome. 20 is way too low.

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Tower said:

Next batch of films that didn't make it:

80 Mimic 6.5
80 U Turn 6.5
82 Mr. Jealousy 6
83 Rosewood 5.5
84 Deconstructing Harry 5
84 The Mirror (Ayneh) 5
86 Mouse Hunt 4.5
87 Insomnia 4
87 Volcano 4

U Turn?  I might have to check it out now.  I voted Mimic!!!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Matrix4You said:

I am the only one who voted Postman??  Did I watch some special extended edition or something? 

You are the only one. I personally didn't see it, the premise seemed OK but it was too long and unpopular to bother with. 

Edited by Tower
  • Like 2

It's been a while, here are a few more:

60 Children Of Heaven 16.5
61 Batman And Robin 16
61 Hard Eight 16
61 Fireworks (Hana-Bi) 16
64 Alien Resurrection 15
65 Fast Cheap And Out Of Control 13
65 Live Flesh 13
65 Gummo 13
68 Selena 12.5
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Matrix4You said:

I like too many wierd movies.  Con Air did not stand a chance on mine.  Especially if I ever come up with a complete 1997 list of 150 movies.

Con Air has Nic Cage playing Forrest Gump with a mullet and oily abs, saying things like "Put the bunny back in the box" with maximum intimidation, not to mention hardass convicts dancing to "Sweet Home Alabama" and cheering as a cross-dressing drug dealer camps it up in front of them, and it's not weird enough for you?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Con Air has Nic Cage playing Forrest Gump with a mullet and oily abs, saying things like "Put the bunny back in the box" with maximum intimidation, not to mention hardass convicts dancing to "Sweet Home Alabama" and cheering as a cross-dressing drug dealer camps it up in front of them, and it's not weird enough for you?

Xst8vwR.gif

God bless Cyrus the Virus. 

Edited by MrGamer2558
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3