baumer

Top 25 films of 1997 (Top two will be unveiled tonight) The final two revealed on page 12

Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery

Written by:  Mike Myers

Directed by: Jay Roach

Starring Mike Myers, Robert Wagner, Rob Lowe, Elizabeth Hurley

WW Box Office:  67.6 Million

7ffb4e0ece07869880d51662a2234143_500x735

First Place Votes:  0

Number of Lists:  12

Academy Awards:  LOL

This is an example of a film that used the home video market to get noticed.  This is the kind of movie that, if ignored today the way it was in 1997, might have never gotten a sequel.  This did very modest business in theatres and then when the sequel came out, it blew up to about 6 time what it made at the WW box office.  While it never quite enjoyed massive international success, it didn't need to as the producers were smart enough to keep the budget low enough that it became a cash cow for New Line.  It also did huge business on HV paving the way for the success of the sequels.  Mike Myers needed this hit after his Wayne's World 2 debacle.  

Random critic comment:  Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery is the greatest comedy ever made, but only for a brief window when you're thirteen years old and you're experiencing all of these jokes for the first time.  I remember being physically unable to stop laughing after a certain point, choosing instead to just give myself to the violent chuckles brewing within me and let my body fall out of the sofa I was sitting in time after time.  There was just something about the film that Adam Sandler and Chris Farley comedies couldn't touch and Jim Carey hadn't bothered to try quite yet.  Austin Powers was ok being smarter than it's intended audience and gussying itself up as though it wasn't:  Andrew Hathaway....Can't Stop Movies

Forum Member comment:  

probably the best, truly outrageous slapstick.

8/10...Luna

• Like 14

Chasing Amy

Written and Directed by:  Kevin Smith

Starring:  Ben Affleck, Joey Lauren Adams, Jason Lee

WW Box Office:  12 million

large_pgQARM8AL58mvhRcZlLI3NkJ15e.jpg

Holden and Banky are two average guys who just need someone to bring out their hidden secrets. Enter Alyssa Jones and Hooper LaMont, two homosexuals who are slightly more experienced than the former two. Together, Hooper and Alyssa show Holden and Banky that being gay isn't as bad as they might think. Meanwhile, Holden develops an 'untainted' love for Alyssa, one which she finally sees in him as well, taking Holden on a journey through the complexities of love in the 90s.  According to Kevin Smith's podcast this was 5 votes away from being nominated for best picture.  And you an see why.  It's one of the most daring and well written scripts of the year.  There really hasn't been many films like this one.  Smith can sometimes be juvenile in his humour but here he shows that he is a talented writer and film maker.

Number of 1st place votes:  0

Number of lists:  9

Number of Academy Awards:  0

Random critic comment:  "Chasing Amy'' is a romantic comedy about people who write comic books for a living, and whose most passionate conversations can center on the sex lives of Archie and Jughead. Kevin Smith, who wrote and directed the movie--the third installment in his Jersey trilogy--makes these characters intense and funny. It's all in the writing:  Roger Ebert (3.5/4)

Random forum comment:  Did I mention that it is a wonderful romance and it is wickedly funny?If all you've ever seen of Kevin Smith is Clerks, then check out this awesome flick. It certainly makes you appreciate how good Smith is at writing characters 10/10....baumer

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, Christmas baumer said:

Chasing Amy

Written and Directed by:  Kevin Smith

Starring:  Ben Affleck, Joey Lauren Adams, Jason Lee

WW Box Office:  12 million

large_pgQARM8AL58mvhRcZlLI3NkJ15e.jpg

Holden and Banky are two average guys who just need someone to bring out their hidden secrets. Enter Alyssa Jones and Hooper LaMont, two homosexuals who are slightly more experienced than the former two. Together, Hooper and Alyssa show Holden and Banky that being gay isn't as bad as they might think. Meanwhile, Holden develops an 'untainted' love for Alyssa, one which she finally sees in him as well, taking Holden on a journey through the complexities of love in the 90s.  According to Kevin Smith's podcast this was 5 votes away from being nominated for best picture.  And you an see why.  It's one of the most daring and well written scripts of the year.  There really hasn't been many films like this one.  Smith can sometimes be juvenile in his humour but here he shows that he is a talented writer and film maker.

Number of lists:  9

Number of Academy Awards:  0

Random critic comment:  "Chasing Amy'' is a romantic comedy about people who write comic books for a living, and whose most passionate conversations can center on the sex lives of Archie and Jughead. Kevin Smith, who wrote and directed the movie--the third installment in his Jersey trilogy--makes these characters intense and funny. It's all in the writing:  Roger Ebert (3.5/4)

Random forum comment:  Did I mention that it is a wonderful romance and it is wickedly funny?If all you've ever seen of Kevin Smith is Clerks, then check out this awesome flick. It certainly makes you appreciate how good Smith is at writing characters 10/10....baumer

Hmmm, never saw this one. Sounds interesting. Will have to catch it now. 

• Like 1

Air Force One

Written by:  Andrew Marlowe

Directed by:  Wolfgang Petersen

Starring:  Harrison Ford, Gary Oldman, Glenn Close

WW box office:  315 million

air-force-one_u-L-F4Q3BG0.jpg

Gary Oldman's (Ivan Korshunov's) chilling performance earned him the nickname "Scary Gary" during production, however, he did not stay in character between the scenes. Wolfgang Petersen called the filming experience 'Air Force Fun' because of how comedic and genial Oldman and Harrison Ford would be off-screen. He also said that Oldman would suddenly return to the menacing film persona instantly. Harrison Ford has since named Oldman as his favorite on-screen nemesis.  An interesting difficulty in the initial filming stages was director Petersen was denied access to the real Air Force One.  Harrison Ford made a call to the White House and remedied the problem.  

In December 2015, Donald J. Trump revealed his admiration for "Harrison Ford on the plane ... He stood up for America." Donald was greatly inspired by Harrison's performance in the film that he took it too seriously. When Ford was told during a television interview of Trump's compliment, he turned it down to the camera and said "Donald, it was just a movie. Things like this don't happen in real-life."

Number of Lists:  11

Academy Awards:  2 nominations and 0 wins

Random critic comment:  On the most immediate, visceral level -- which is all that most people ask of their summer movies -- "Air Force One" does exactly what it’s supposed to. It thrills you constantly, allows you to vicariously kick commie-terrorist butt and gives you a guided tour through the innermost sanctum of American hegemony:  Desson Howe: Washington Post

Random Forum User Comment:  Get Off My Plane! 10/10 @4815162342

• Like 13

Air Force One... Another action film that is inferior to Con Air.

Decent, but with a disappointing ending. They spend the whole film building up the traitor just to get rd of him like he was some random goon.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

As Good as it Gets

Written by:  Mark Andrus

Directed by James L. Brooks

Starring:  Jack Nicholson, Helen Hunt, Skeet Ulrich, Cuba Gooding Jr.

WW box office:  314 Million

as_good_as_it_gets.jpg

New York City. Melvin Udall, a cranky, bigoted, obsessive-compulsive writer, finds his life turned upside down when neighboring gay artist Simon is hospitalized and his dog is entrusted to Melvin. In addition, Carol, the only waitress who will tolerate him, must leave work to care for her sick son, making it impossible for Melvin to eat breakfast.

At the 1998 Oscar ceremony, when his name was announced as the winner of the Best Actor award, Jack Nicholson ascended to the podium by carefully stepping over the cracks between the tiles on the stage, in imitation of his character, Melvin Udall. Nicholson dedicated his Oscar to his A Few Good Men (1992) co-star J.T. Walsh who had died shortly before the Academy Awards in 1998.  Entertainment Weekly listed the film under its original title, "Old Friends", in their fall movie preview from the August 22/29, 1997 issue. James L. Brooks felt that the title "just doesn't say it for me." Brooks considered several other titles, including "Rock Bottom" and "The Bright Side of Life", but couldn't best the original title. Eventually, the film earned the new title, in time for posters and trailers to be released.

Number of first place votes:  0

Number of Lists:  13

Number of Academy Awards:  2 wins (actor and actress) and 7 nominations

Random Critic Comment:  As Good as It Gets is a perfect Christmas release, not because the story takes place during the Yule season, but because many of the plot elements are straight out of Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol. There's more than just a little Scrooge in Melvin Udall (Jack Nicholson), the most unpleasant man in Manhattan. And, like Scrooge, the unwilling sinner is on the road to redemption:  James Berardinelli:  Reel Reviews

Random Forum Member Comment:  Script-wise it's not quite as good as it gets, but it's definitely a lot of fun, and of course Jack and Helen are both wonderful in it.  @CoolioD1

• Like 11

3 hours ago, Tower said:

Air Force One... Another action film that is inferior to Con Air.

Decent, but with a disappointing ending. They spend the whole film building up the traitor just to get rd of him like he was some random goon.

I agree.  Con Air is massively under rated.

• Like 3

A few more films that didn't make it to end the day:

50 The Devil's Advocate 24
51 Tomorrow Never Dies 23
51 Wag The Dog 23
53 Waiting For Guffman 20.5
53 The Wings Of The Dove 20.5
55 The Butcher Boy 20
56 Air Bud 19
57 George Of The Jungle 18.5
57 I Know What You Did Last Summer 18.5
59 The Edge 17
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, slambros said:

I'm a little sad Perfect Blue didn't make the list, but I do understand why it wouldn't.

I forgot that was 1997 or it would have been on my list - top ten at least.

And WTF is wrong with you people?  Con Air is hot garbage. :gold:  It made JP2's inclusion almost look worthy by comparison.  

• Like 2
  • Disbelief 4

The key to Con Air is that it takes itself just seriously enough to make you invested in Cage's survival but not seriously enough to pretend that it's anything more than an absurd action romp. And it is an awesome absurd action romp. Not as inspired as Face/Off, but then there's only one John Woo out there. 

• Like 5

Perfect Blue was 1997? Whoops, I would have included it otherwise. As Good As It Gets is really good too, and Chasing Amy is a film that I grew to appreciate more the second time I watched it. Definitely one of Smith's most "mature" films.

Also Con Air may be "stupid", but it's good stupid, and I never get bored of it, anytime I watch it.

• Like 5