baumer

Top 25 films of 1997 (Top two will be unveiled tonight) The final two revealed on page 12

1 hour ago, Jake Gittes said:

The key to Con Air is that it takes itself just seriously enough to make you invested in Cage's survival but not seriously enough to pretend that it's anything more than an absurd action romp. And it is an awesome absurd action romp. Not as inspired as Face/Off, but then there's only one John Woo out there. 

Only in Con Air will you find Dave Chappelle's dead body falling from a plane, crashing onto Garland Briggs's car, and causing a huge accident:

• Like 6

I really wish I had voted, I can't believe I didn't notice it was a new list instead of the old '87 list when I got more active in the forum again. I need to see Gattaca and the Fifth Element in this list at the very least. Liar Liar and In & Out would be nice too.

Edited by Arlborn

9 hours ago, Tower said:

You are the only one. I personally didn't see it, the premise seemed OK but it was too long and unpopular to bother with. 

it is a Kevin Costner western post-apocalypse / dystopia.  I could not believe it.  All these 20 years I thought it was a super long historical drama.  I thought it took place in the 17 or 1800's.  LOL.  when the movie started, my mind was blown.  I Figure it should find a larger audience eventually, unless it already has. 

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 7:39 PM, Tower said:

A few more films that didn't make it to end the day:

50 The Devil's Advocate 24
51 Tomorrow Never Dies 23
51 Wag The Dog 23
53 Waiting For Guffman 20.5
53 The Wings Of The Dove 20.5
55 The Butcher Boy 20
56 Air Bud 19
57 George Of The Jungle 18.5
57 I Know What You Did Last Summer 18.5
59 The Edge 17

Figured IKWYDLS would not make the list since Austin Powers hit at #19.  I knew I was going to have to do a re-watch with Austin Powers to see where it would move in my rankings.  I was surprised how much I loved it.  I watched Scream 2 and Austin Powers back to back/

Wag the Dog probably did not get enough votes.

same with HARD EIGHTH.  LOL, that character that mentors John C Reiley. He is so funny.  He answers everything with a question and is this like mystical man of reason and then he guides John C through a gambling scheme to make $$ (Which i found interesting

I guess me not watching Con-Air did not good.  I expected it to rank low with the rest of the action movies.  On my list, I have Austin Powers >  Cop Land > Face/OFF  >>      Game > Devills Advocate > Postman > Air Force > Peacemaker > Jackal > Tomorrow Never Dies > Starship Troopers.  I figured Con-Air would flirt around Peacemaker level but maybe I judged that one wrong.  I am sure Kiss the Girls would find somewhere around there too.

Tomorrow Never Dies I thought was above average.  I am glad to see it next to A Devil's Advocate at least.  I sort of put it right next to Air Force One somewhere in the low 30's positions. 

Has anyone else watched I know what you did last summer with the idea that a bunch of people in the town were in on it.  During the parade, the rooftop scene.  It seems he almost switches bodies.   There is a book too.

Edited by Thematrixfilm
  • Like 5

99 - Speed 2

99 - Dante's Peak

99 - Bean

97 - Double Team

97 - The Postman

96 - The Jackal

95 - American Werewolf in Paris

93 - The Relic

93 - Brassed Off

92 - Conspiracy Theory

89 - Good Burger

89 - Bent

89 - Midnight in the Garden of Good & Evil

87 - Volcano

87 - Insomnia

86 - Mouse Hunt

84 - The Mirror (Ayneh)

84 - Deconstructing Harry

83 - Rosewood

82 - Mr. Jealousy

80 - U Turn

80 - Mimic

79 - My Life in Pink

75 - The Saint

75 - Gone' Fishin

75 - Perfect Blue

75 - Leila

72 - Vegas Vacation

72 - Flubber

72 - The Apostle

71 - Private Parts

69 - Mr. Magoo

69 - Fierce Creatures

68 - Selena

65 - Gummo

65 - Live Flesh

65 - Fast Cheap And Out Of Control

64 - Alien Resurrection

61 - Fireworks (Hana-Bi)

61 - Hard Eight

61 - Batman and Robin

60 - Children of Heaven

59 - The Edge

57 - I Know What You Did Last Summer

57 - George of the Jungle

56 - Air Bud

55 - The Butcher Boy

53 - The Wings of the Dove

53 - Waiting for Guffman

51 - Wag the Dog

51 - Tomorrow Never Dies

50 - The Devil's Advocate

25 - Amistad

24 - The Lost World

23 - Hercules

22 - Donnie Brasco

21 - The Ice Storm

20 - Con Air

19 - Austin Powers

18 - Chasing Amy

17 - Air Force One

16 - As Good As It Gets

Edited by Matrix4You
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Of these listed above ^^, this is how I'd rank them.

1 Hard Eight - A

2 The Lost World

3 Austin Powers - A

4 Chasing Amy - A

(Wag the Dog)

5 I Know What You Did Last Summer - A-

6 As Good As It Gets -

7 Mimic

8 Amistad - A-

9 Devils Advocate - B+

10 Postman - B+

(Con Air)

11 Air Force One

12 The Ice Storm

13 The Jackal

14 Tomorrow Never Dies - B

15 Batman and Robin - B

16 Alien: Resurrection - B

17 Conspiracy Theory - C

18 The Saint - C

19 The Edge - C

20 The Relic - D+

21 Volcano

22 Dante's Peak

23 Speed 2: Cruise Control

Lots of questions.  Will any Money Talks, Nothing to Loose, Fools Rush In, For Richer or Poorer, Father's Day, Murder at 1600, Mad City, Tupac, Kiss the Girls, Metro, Soul Food, 187, Eves Bayou, making the cut?  Can The Rainmaker surprise?  (I dont know if it has made this list before)...  Is Good Will Hunting doomed to show up sooner than later?  How about Seven Years in Tibet?.....top 50 or top 150?  Event Horizon?   Spawn?  Will Wishmaster surpass Werewolf?  Probably not!

Edited by Matrix4You
  • Like 1

One quick one before work.

The Sweet Hereafter

Written by:  Russel Banks, Atom Egoyan

Directed by:  Atom Egoyan

Starring:  Ian Holm, Sarah Polley, Bruce Greenwood

WW Box office:  3.2 million

the-sweet-hereafter-dvd-cover.jpg

Premiere Magazine voted this movie as one of "The 25 Most Dangerous Movies". (In the description for the list, the magazine stated, "These are movies about which you could say, 'That's not entertainment'. They're not 'rides' nor 'diversions'. They are galvanizing experiences that place squarely in your face all the stuff Hollywood usually presumes you go to the movies to get away from. Films that rearrange your head, that challenge your bedrock ideas about life and love and the big sleep. Consciousness-expanders, in other words, but rarely in a pleasant way. Thank God for them.")

Two fine Canadian actors auditioned for one of the leads.  Paul Gross (Men with Brooms, Paschendaelle) auditioned for the role of Billy Ansel, but was passed over because of his looks. Atom Egoyan said in October 13, 1997 issue of the Canadian magazine Maclean's, "Paul is a very fine actor, and I was really close to casting him. The problem is that he is really good-looking. Paul is very pretty, Bruce looked rougher."

This was the first time in Academy Awards history that two Canadian directors were nominated for best director.  The other of course being James Cameron.  

A lawyer, pursued by the demons of losing a daughter to drugs, comes to a Canadian town where 20 children have died in a school bus accident. He wants the parents to sue, to determine who was at fault, and to focus their anger on making those at fault pay. Told partly in flashbacks to the days leading up to the accident, we also follow the attorney from family to family, coaxing them to join the suit. One young teen survives, crippled. She has become the lame child left behind in "The Pied Piper of Hamlin," which she reads aloud to a child the night before the accident. Her testimony is pivotal, and her relationship with her own father leads to what she says.

Number of 1st place votes:  0

Number of Lists:  7

Academy Awards:  2 nominations and 0 wins (it won 7 Genies and was nominated for 9 others...which is the Canadian Oscar...also nominated for the Palmes D'Ore)

Random Critic Comment:  Cuts to the bone and stays there long after its end credits have finished rolling:  Michael DeQuina Themoviereport.com

Forum User Comment:  A slow and methodical film that has layers of depth to it.  Every character has lost something, every character is angry about something and Egoyan goes to great lengths to give each one of them a chance to tell their story, in one way or another.  A beautiful film and one of the best of 1997. baumer

• Like 8

Liar Liar

Written by:  Paul Guay, Stephen Mazur

Directed by:  Tom Shadyac

Starring:  Jim Carrey, Maura Tierney, Carey Elwes, Jennifer Tilley

WW Box office:  302.7 million

44261_8.jpg

Fletcher Reede is an attorney for whom lying is as natural as breathing. He even lies to his son, or doesn't keep his promises. On his son's birthday, he wishes that his father would stop lying for a day. And Fletcher finds himself telling truth all the time which turns his life upside down.

The original screenplay by Paul Guay and Stephen Mazur was rewritten from scratch by director Tom Shadyac and Mike Binder, with further rewrites being performed by Steve Oedekerk during filming. Though the basic concept of a man being unable to tell a lie for 24 hours and having to rebuild his relationship with his young son was retained from Guay and Mazur's draft, nearly everything else was scrapped.  Jim Carrey improvised a lot of his character as well.  When Fletcher literally beats himself up in the restroom, no sound effects were used; those are really the sounds of Jim Carrey's head slamming into the urinal, floor and walls.

Number of 1st place votes:  0

Number of Lists:  12

Academy Awards:  0

Random Critic Comment:  Like Robin Williams, Carrey has learned to do his side-splitting shtick in character. He's not only under control, but funnier than ever as the truth-impaired Fletcher Reede:  Rita Kempley, Washington Post.

Forum User Comment:  Took awhile for me to get in a Jim Carrey mood, but after the first 30 minutes, I found myself really enjoying it. Carrey is a true talent in physical comedy; I was laughing a lot at some really dumb stuff he does. The final outtake and the metajoke are the two best parts of the film too. A- @Blankments

• Like 13

Coming up next....the music man from Predator scores a hit with with a guy who had a sex tape in the 80's and someone who likes high school girls.  :ohmygod:

• Like 1

Liar Liar is a film that I randomly caught when it aired on ABC Family (or the channel that is now called Freeform). Liar Liar holds up to me. It is a very heartwarming movie, and a very funny one at that. I do not think this film would have worked if Jim Carrey was not the lead to be honest. Kudos to the folks behind the memorable comedy.

2 hours ago, chasmmi said:

Mrs. Brown made the top 50. that means it must have received a second vote from something. 

Well done that man or woman. 

Either another person voted for Mrs. Brown, or I missed the first word and gave your vote to Jackie Brown. :sparta:

• Like 1