TigerPaw

Monday (27 Nov) - JL $2.1m - Down 76%, Coco 2.3M - Down 84%

8 minutes ago, Squadron Leader Tele said:

The creative process was more or less the same. You're making the same mistake that a lot of fans do, of equating your reaction to the final product with the filmmakers' effort or creative investment. But there's simply no equivalence. The people making BATB put their creative all into it, working with choices made by their director (and likely the studio, at some level). Choosing to remain faithful to what the fans loved about the animated movie isn't a lesser choice than not doing so.

I care nothing about Disney's BATB on any level, so I'm making no apologies for it through sentiment. But making a movie isn't the same as running a script through a movie generator and pressing a few buttons.

I'm saying that the people involved didn't put any effort into it. The studios entire pitch for the movie was devoid of effort. The director was just following what Disney wanted. I'm saying that Disney made it a cash grab. 

There's a line between remaining faithful to the feel of a movie and copying the same scenes down to the exact lines. The most creativity that went into Beauty And The Beast was the set design and the motion capture technology. As far as the script? Very little. And yeah, I blame Disney for that. Bill Condon was just doing what they wanted.

They took the easiest route possible because money. And they didn't have to. The Jungle Book can stand beside it's animated counterpart and be viewed as two separate things because they aren't the same film. With that Favreau captured the feel of the original without downright copying scenes from it.

That's what Beauty And The Beast should have been if you're going to do it. But Jungle Book wasn't as beloved as Beauty And The Beast was. The only point in remaking it was because it was easy money. They knew they could sell it off nostalgia as long as they used the same characters and songs. But instead of creating a new film they just tweaked what was already near perfect. And those tweaks weren't for the better.

Favreau being attached to The Lion King is the only reason I'm more excited for it then others. But if they are just going to repeat everything that's come before in live action and rework a few scenes than creatively what is the point? Again, money. 

It just bothers me when a studio that has the creative minds to create something new for this generation spends all that money redoing something that doesn't need to be redone.

21 minutes ago, RichWS said:

You're acting like audiences rejected it when it made $500m.

They didn't reject it while it was in theaters. Obviously not since it's so far the #1 film of the year.

That's why I said: "And a lot of people have started to reject it after the initial glow faded." - aka after it left theaters and people really thought back on the experience.

5 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

I consider a lazy production that nobody asked for a cash grab.

3 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

I'm saying that the people involved didn't put any effort into it. 

1 minute ago, KeepItU25071906 said:

BaBt is absolutely lazy.

There's nothing lazy about any production. Nothing. It's incredibly difficult and requires a ton of effort, no matter how shitty the creative decision-making was.

• Like 5

Just now, somebody85 said:

That's why I said: "And a lot of people have started to reject it after the initial glow faded." - aka after it left theaters and people really thought back on the experience.

I worked with people who were excited to see it, enjoyed it and haven't a word about it since. I'm guessing you've got the pulse of Beauty fans better than I do.

I've worked on tV commercials before.

I've done one small budget movie.

There is never....NEVER anything lazy about making a film. It's long hours, hard work, and a labour of love much of the time.  

LAZY, BaTB was not.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, RichWS said:

You didn't like the movie, it made a shit-ton of money and what's done is done.

That's facts. I'm not arguing any of that.

I just hope it gets knocked from it's top spot. Audiences wanted to pay to see the same movie again. I can't argue against that. I can bash Disney for taking the easiest route possible though.

And I would bet that a couple years from now, families will still be introducing their kids to the animated version and not the remake.

26 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

People are focusing on the disappointment of JL but Bad Moms 2 will finish at least 35% below the original which is a substantial decline. The film is funny - not Girls Trip funny but it does contain several laughs. R rated Christmas comedies are a tough sell. BM2 needed to go hard R instead of the light R that it is. If a couple of F bombs and one skimpy Santa suit scene had been cut, the film would have been PG-13 and it might have come close to matching the original’s gross.

yeah the bm2 drop from bm1 needs more attention. it's a hefty drop. kingsman2's 100m will be be 22-23% down from kingsman1. 70m will give bm2 a 38% drop. daddy's home2 will also drop a big 38-40% from the first one though that was expected as the first one did a huge 150+.

1 minute ago, ZeeSoh said:

75.5% down from yesterday and 64.5% down from last Monday. DS for reference fell 74.9% and 63.9%

Good that it is following DS closely

DS managed 1.955x legs from this weekend on. If Thor manages the same it will get to 311 million

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Squadron Leader Tele said:

There's nothing lazy about any production. Nothing. It's incredibly difficult and requires a ton of effort, no matter how shitty the creative decision-making was.

9 minutes ago, Christmas baumer said:

I've worked on tV commercials before.

I've done one small budget movie.

There is never....NEVER anything lazy about making a film. It's long hours, hard work, and a labour of love much of the time.  

LAZY, BaTB was not.

I'm not commenting on the production. Obviously a ton of hard work went into that, that goes into recreating anything (like an amusment park set or a house at Halloween Horror Nights based off a beloved movie). I'm calling the script and the pitch itself incredibly lazy but we're obviously not going to be on the same page for this. By people involved, that's what I meant though.  

10 minutes ago, RichWS said:

I worked with people who were excited to see it, enjoyed it and haven't a word about it since. I'm guessing you've got the pulse of Beauty fans better than I do.

I guess you've missed all the backlash I've seen for it. When Cinemasins did it, it easily trended #1 on Youtube and the majority of the comments were people bashing it. The very first sin was "It Exists.". And I already know you'll say that's a small vocal minority compared to the entire GA (and you're not wrong - but yeah there are a lot of fans of the original who hate this movie).

Edited by somebody85

2 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

I'm calling the script and the pitch itself incredibly lazy but we're obviously not going to be on the same page for this.

If you're saying Disney chose to go a safe route, then I agree... I just disagree that "safe" and "lazy" are the same thing.

• Like 2

Movie Distributor Gross Change Thtrs. Per Thtr. Total Gross Days
1 (1) Coco Walt Disney $2,322,084 -83% 3,987 $582   $75,231,014 6
2 (2) Justice League Warner Bros. $2,103,667 -76% 4,051 $519   $174,007,541 11
- (4) Thor: Ragnarok Walt Disney $872,200 -76% 3,281 $266   $278,522,771 25
- (6) Murder on the Orient Express 20th Century Fox $844,246 -71% 3,152 $268   $75,208,438 18
- (5) Daddy’s Home 2 Paramount Pictures $624,349 -79% 3,518 $177   $73,261,219 18
- (8) Three Billboards Outside Eb… Fox Searchlight $368,746 -66% 614 $601   $7,983,278 18
- (9) A Bad Moms Christmas STX Entertainment $328,532 -69% 2,306 $142   $59,974,142 27
- (13) Blade Runner 2049 Warner Bros. $39,552 -68% 434 $91   $90,241,421 53
- (-) Victoria and Abdul Focus Features $15,750 -55% 144 $109   $21,915,965 67
- (-) Darkest Hour Focus Features $14,236 -70% 4 $3,559   $260,997 6
- (-) Let There Be Light Atlas Distribution $14,129 -57% 199 $71   $7,045,069 32
- (-) It Warner Bros. $12,598 -70% 231 $55   $327,198,777 81
- (-) Kingsman: The Golden Circle 20th Century Fox $9,763 -61% 173 $56   $99,953,293 67
- (-) Geostorm Warner Bros. $9,095 -68% 165 $55   $32,974,652 39

EDIT: Cannot ignore

- (-) Friend Request Entertainment Studi… $4   1 $4   $3,759,018 67
Edited by a2knet
  • Like 2
  • Astonished 2