TigerPaw

Monday (27 Nov) - JL $2.1m - Down 76%, Coco 2.3M - Down 84%

this is when the forums get most frustrating, when people can't have objective opinions because they think it means they are attacking something they love.  you can love JL/DC and still be enough of an analyst to see at BEST it's done poorly.  the fact that people are even reaching to compare it to FB is enough in itself to see how the bar has been lowered.  marvel/avengers is the only adequate comparison and it's been absolutely destroyed by it.  we are talking about the first 'team' film barely making a 1/3 of what Avengers did.  a third.  during a holiday.  its really, really bad strictly speaking from a numbers perspective and if people want to argue that i say let them be.

Edited by RyneOh1040

12 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

DS managed 1.955x legs from this weekend on. If Thor manages the same it will get to 311 million

310-311 give Thor3 2.53x multiplier.

At 234.5 JL will be 2.5x.

Not bad legs really, but started off too too low.

• Like 1

This thread can be simplified as this:

Popular ≠ Good

Especially when kids are involved. They have horrible taste in everything. I should know, I use to think The Pest with John Leguizamo was one of the best movies ever and that parachute pants were amazing.

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, RichWS said:

Are you saying it should've gone hard R or PG-13?

BM2 should have gone in either direction. It could have received more general audience appeal with a PG-13 or it could have solidified its appeal with stronger or more R rated humor if it had gone for a hard R. The middle ground it tries to tread is simply too unstable to obtain any footing.

Just now, LonePirate said:

BM2 should have gone in either direction. It could have received more general audience appeal with a PG-13 or it could have solidified its appeal with stronger or more R rated humor if it had gone for a hard R. The middle ground it tries to tread is simply too unstable to obtain any footing.

I don't see why a soft R has had any bearing on how the film is performing. I doubt people are walking out saying, "If only it was more gross-out or less so, I would recommend it more." The novelty of the first movie is gone and it's coming only a year later. Feels like a sizable decline was always in the cards.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Chewy said:

It's interesting how movies like Beauty and the Beast, Ghostbusters, Twilight, etc become the targets of sustained online ire

I wonder if we could pinpoint a connective tissue

The original is one of my favorite animated films of all time. It's downright flawless outside of a few nitpicks. So what you're getting at isn't the case with me.

And I don't think it's fair to assume that about others who have problems with the film either.

27 minutes ago, Squadron Leader Tele said:

If you're saying Disney chose to go a safe route, then I agree... I just disagree that "safe" and "lazy" are the same thing.

Yes. That's what I'm saying. In this case though, I think safe was lazy. They didn't have to copy the same lines or repeat the same scenes to win audiences over when it comes to this property. There was enough creative freedom available with the story to still stay true to the original without doing it the way they chose to. But again, we're just going to have to agree to disagree. However I agree with you and baumer that the actual making of the film past the script wasn't lazy and was the same as any other production. A lot of heart and love most likely went into all of that.

28 minutes ago, RichWS said:

I clearly have missed it. Also, CinemaSins is garbage but that's merely my personal opinion.

I figured you'd say that and you're free to have that opinion. I was only pointing out one area of the internet where I've seen backlash since you asked but I will freely admit that Youtube doesn't represent the GA and the film itself was obviously a giant success.

Edited by somebody85

10 minutes ago, KeepItU25071906 said:

I talking about director's work. And it was LAZY.

It's not really Bill Condons fault. He was only going by the script he was given to bring to life and was probably on a tight rein by Disney (if he wanted to make any changes). They knew what they were making.

Edited by somebody85

2 hours ago, YourMother said:

A lot of these are optimistic. Aside from TI2, IW, BP, DP2 and Aquaman, the rest can all go under  $200M domestic, I’m pretty sure Venom and Dark Phoenix have a chance for sub $100M.

Optimistic...according to you. 

According to me, realistic.

Tom Hardy as Venom is clearing $100m domestic. Between Hardy fans and comic fans of which there is some overlap this will easily clear $100m.

Even given the uneven performance and unpredictability of the X-Men Universe they've not had a movie do sub $125m. So saying you think Dark Phoenix has a chance at sub $100 is based on nothing factual at this point. The numbers tell us a bad X-Men movie, currently, lands around $150m. 

I feel by me even saying New Mutants could set a new low is based on it being set in a more horror template. Horror films skew lower typically but I will not be shocked if it hits $140m. But it's not doing sub-$100m

4 minutes ago, KeepItU25071906 said:

No significant director's decision, just lacklaster copy of original.

You have no idea what was Condon's call and what wasn't. I'm sure he worked his ass off just like everyone else.

Edited by cookie

1 hour ago, Chewy said:

It's interesting how movies like Beauty and the Beast, Ghostbusters, Twilight, etc become the targets of sustained online ire

I wonder if we could pinpoint a connective tissue

Twilight had less to do with gender and is more about being rather sub-par compared to HP and others. 

Beauty and the Beast hate is more like Alice in Wonderland then some sort of misogynist thing.  

Bringing up a movie like Ghostbuster as an example of misogyny when Wonder Women beat a massive collection of male Superheros this year and films like IM and Civil War to me is no longer really relevant. 

The point is if Wonder Women was mediocre it would get a ton of hate too, but by being a good movie it overcame it all. 

Edited by Lordmandeep