aabattery

Weekend Thread | Weekend Estimates - Coco 26.11M, JL 16.58M, Wonder 12.5M, T:R 9.65M, MOTOE 6.7M, LB 4.54M, 3BOEM 4.53M, TDA 1.22M

http://variety.com/2017/film/box-office/box-office-coco-wonder-justice-league-1202628168/

Disney-Pixar’s “Coco” will easily win the first December weekend in the $23 million range in its second frame at 3,987 North American locations, early estimates showed Friday.

The third weekend of Warner Bros.-DC Entertainment’s “Justice League” and the second session of Lionsgate’s “Wonder” are on a tight battle for second with about $15 million each. The fifth weekend of Disney-Marvel’s “Thor: Ragnarok” will finish fourth with about $10 million, followed by the fourth weekend of Paramount’s “Daddy’s Home 2” with about $8 million and the fourth weekend of Fox’s “Murder on the Orient Express” with about $7 million.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Deadline being too generous with that multiplier for Justice League. 

$4.8m would be more $16m. 

Not necessarily disagreeing with you, but Thor did get a 21 million weekend from a 5.7 million Friday and FB got an 18 million weekend from exactly 5 million Friday. I don’t know. With JL’s luck, Variety is probably right. 

How does Wonder get to 15 million on a 4 million Friday? Is that also generous?

Edited by Diana Prince
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Diana Prince said:

Not necessarily disagreeing with you, but Thor did get a 21 million weekend from a 5.7 million Friday and FB got an 18 million weekend from exactly 5 million Friday. I don’t know. With JL’s luck, Variety is probably right. 

How does Wonder get to 15 million on a 4 million Friday? Is that also generous?

Family effect - same way that Coco gets over 20m

Those Coco numbers make no sense - for it to come under 6m for Friday would mean it would have to increase by way less than the norm for animated films on this particular Friday (aprx 225% based on a quick look at several from years past.)

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, DAJK said:

What does it mean by raw gross when talking about the platform releases?

Yup, the raw - meaning when they wrote the article thats how much it had grossed at that point. Very interesting stat to use if you are trying to drive a certain angle.

1 hour ago, narniadis said:

Those Coco numbers make no sense - for it to come under 6m for Friday would mean it would have to increase by way less than the norm for animated films on this particular Friday (aprx 225% based on a quick look at several from years past.)

I found it really low as well, there's no reason to think its momentum suddenly stops, if anything, I think WOM is kind of building on social media. Now with weekdays equal/slightly higher than Moana, why would the weekend be so much lower...

That's a bit disappointing for Coco.

Glad I wasn't nuts in predicting 14.7M and over JL this weekend for Wonder. I don't see how JL gets to 18.6M with a 4.8M Friday.

THOR :ohmygod: 

I basically predicted that amount for Lady Bird but was 1M too high on 3B. The latter's expansion is a tad disappointing tbh.