aabattery

Weekend Thread | Weekend Estimates - Coco 26.11M, JL 16.58M, Wonder 12.5M, T:R 9.65M, MOTOE 6.7M, LB 4.54M, 3BOEM 4.53M, TDA 1.22M

I feel like we have to have this conversation every Christmas (the screen count and theaters discussion)..... every film in release, even the ones that lose showtimes / screens benefit from the holiday week (25th-1st) since it essentially plays out like a week of Saturdays - which nullifies the negatives for those films that lose screens once they recover from the drop on the 25th.

As for JL losing screens when Star Wars opens - there is one new film next weeked (+some expansions) and then 2 films just Star Wars & Ferdinand the following weekend. JL will be fine since Thor, BMC, DH2 & MOTOE are all older and will be shedding more than JL. Again, Star Wars is big and JL will drop big that weekend but it is not the killing machine some are trying to make it out to be.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, mredman said:

JL multipler is now on 2.1 already passed 1.99 multpler for BvS in 3 weekends

Sadly It will need a miracle to pass MoS WW number

I was defending BvS & SS final BO numbers back then, but JL BO run is a total fail no matter

how you look at it.

What WB did to this movie is unforgivable, they need to learn from Marvel how to handle movies productions asap.

5 minutes ago, Ohana said:

Sadly It will need a miracle to pass MoS WW number

I was defending BvS & SS final BO numbers back then, but JL BO run is a total fail no matter

how you look at it.

What WB did to this movie is unforgivable, they need to learn from Marvel how to handle movies productions asap.

They already are with Johns at the helm. Phase 2 is the MCU way Solos and Sequels with lower budgets then likely lead into JL 2 when everything new has been established.

Just now, mredman said:

They already are with Johns at the helm. Phase 2 is the MCU way Solos and Sequels with lower budgets then likely lead into JL 2 when everything new has been established.

Solo is actually a Star Wars movie. Easy mistake these days though. 

• Like 1

I still can't believe someone made something so toxic bad that is still making money from it after 15 years and will continue to do so until the day he dies without ever working ever again. I want that kind of life.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, CJohn said:

I still can't believe someone made something so toxic bad that is still making money from it after 15 years and will continue to do so until the day he dies without ever working ever again. I want that kind of life.

Except The Room isn't a bad movie at all.

9 hours ago, That One Guy said:

The backlash Titanic has received is fucking hilarious.  It’s a movie that’s so confident in itself, so assured, and it completely shows throughout its runtime.  The pacing is perfect.  It’s amazing how Cameron makes 3 hours feel so short and brisk.  The entire sinking scene is flawless. It feels like you’re there, sinking with the passengers, nearly drowning, etc.  Fuck alternate reality because Cameron actually makes you feel like you’re sinking on the Titanic without it.  And fuck me I always get shivers when they’re floating in the water and on the painting.  No matter how many flaws people say it has, it’s a true epic.  One that makes you feel about every character, one that makes you want the two leads to be with each other, one that makes you feel nearly every emotion during the sinking scene, and one that makes you bawl your eyes out at the end.

You can call it cinematic trash all you want, it’s just that you’re wrong.

I love you.  :sparta:

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, seduh said:

Titanic performance was one of the most amazing of modern era. I remember that even two month after it's realease it was #1 and sold out. Everyone i know watch it, it was a cultural phenomenom as i never see it again. Star Wars make an impact, but after some weeks it diluted, Titanic was a monster, was epic. I don't say it's the best film ever but it touch people in a way that not so many movies does

Well, I liked your post and agree with most of it.  But Star Wars was not a diluted impact.  I'm not sure if you were alive in 1977-1983 but the first three SW films were just as, if not more, impactful than Titanic.  People had never seen a film like these ones before.  Trust me on this.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Boxofficerules said:

Was Baumer one of those people that was crying to badly and so distressed at the ending that they had to be dragged out of the theatres?

I still cry when I see it, 20 years later.  It's the most emotionally galvanizing film I've ever seen.  It's an emotional masterpiece because you care about all of the characters.  Cameron makes you care about an old couple on a bed as the water is rushing in, the Irish mother and her children, the band on the deck and even the rich people on the boat, because his writing is that good, that assured, that in depth.  Titanic is one of a handful of films I could probably watch every day and not tire of.

• Like 7

21 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Hey, The Room isn't toxic bad, it's just..... misunderstood. Uniquely good, may I say.

A true masterpiece elicites emotions that have never been felt before. Have you ever thrown spoons at the screen while watching Casablanca or Taxi Driver? :sparta:

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, CJohn said:

tommy wiseau was already sitting on a still unexplained pile of cash before the room considering it's $6 million budget came entirely from his bank account. a fun fan theory was that he had some kind of european mafia connection before he moved to the US.

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

tommy wiseau was already sitting on a still unexplained pile of cash before the room considering it's $6 million budget came entirely from his bank account. a fun fan theory was that he had some kind of european mafia connection before he moved to the US.

My favourite theory is that he is D.B Cooper.