baumer

The Disaster Artist (2017)

Grade it  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

James Franco disappears into the role of Tommy Wiseau. This was pretty much a role he was born to play. The rest of the cast, especially Dave Franco and Seth Rogen, were very good too. I was very pleasantly surprised at how emotional it got towards the end. It really caught me off guard but it was very well-executed. Tons of laughs throughout. I actually heard a few people, who I could tell hadn't seen The Room before, talking about how hilarious it was and wanting to check out the film. The only problem I had was all the interviews with the celebrities at the beginning. Felt out of place to me. Other than that, great film.

A-

• Like 4

What a tour de force for the Franco brothers.  James is incredible and as @Rorschach says, he disappears into the role as Tommy Wiseau.  I haven't seen a better performance this year and that includes McAvoy in Split.  Equally as impressive as Sestero is Dave Franco. I really hope they both get nominated.  The film sheds some light on the plight and the feelings that both of these guys feel.  They convey it beautifully that they both feel like the world is against them.  There's a scene in a restaurant where Tommy sees a big time producer and tries to woo him by doing some Shakespeare and it's so painful to watch that you genuinely feel bad for Tommy.  But then when it's all over, when all the laughter stops at the end of his screening, and Sestero tells him that yes, it didn't turn out the way he hoped but Hitchcock never got an ovation like this, you realize he's right.  Room was horrible in so many ways and yet it was massively enjoyable and I could watch it over and over again.  The Disaster Artist gives us a brief and slight glimpse into Tommy and Greg's life and James Franco simply blew me away in this.  Both as an actor and a director, The Disaster Artist is one of the best films of the year. 

9.5/10

• Like 4

I'm not sure anyone who hasn't witnessed The Room (in all its delightfully awful glory) is gonna take away much from this, but it's a very entertaining and surprisingly sympathetic look at how a cult classic that continues to be celebrated for its terribleness was born. James Franco is fantastic, completely disappearing as Tommy Wiseau to the point that one would think it's Wiseau himself. Brother Dave is also really good too. B+

• Like 2

If you have any fondness for The Room, this is a must see. Was surprised with how emotional it was in areas. It almost felt awkward watching it knowing all of this actually happened.

The Room is really a once in a lifetime phenomenon. No one on that set could have ever predicted that they were working on something that would go on to inspire a film that would become a serious awards show contender. Just insane. - A-

Edited by somebody85
  • Like 2

I've only seen basically the highlight reels of The Room.

This was very good, James Franco does a bang up job. It's very funny. The movie takes it's time getting started, but it needs that to establish these characters, so you actually feel something for this weird dude who is just totally alien in so many ways.

Also, the side by side comparison of what they shot, and what happened in The Room, was really spooky and eerie, seeing franco and Wisseu side by side.

• Like 1

"Do you think I'm villain?"

We view the world through stories, no matter if real life fits into those tropes. The Disaster Artist tackles this phenomenon with gusto, while also dramatizing the making of a very melodramatic film. Franco's Wiseau is not a hero or a villain, but someone purposely inbetween. The big question is if it's possible for this larger-than-life character to not fit in those binaries. Franco's spectacular performance and the excellent screenplay does the work well, notating that although Wiseau is not a good person, he's not necessarily a bad person either. He's just a person with flaws like the rest of us, and that is the best part of the film.

The dramatization on screen never fails to engage, and Dave Franco is surprisingly engaging as well as Sestero. The cameos are fun, and it's overall a blast to watch whether or not you get the in-jokes. However, it just hurts because Franco's average direction lets down the rest of the material here. When Wiseau is not on screen, the film drags and it really shouldn't since Sestero's story is just as important as Wiseau's. The decisions made on cinematography and music also horribly distract and really prevent the story's impact from reaching maximum potential. I can only imagine the masterpiece that would've been made by David Gordon Green or Rogen and Goldberg.

However, it's still more fun than most of the dry biopics that come out this time of year. It's a pleasure to see one of Hollywood's bigger comedic troupes come together to make a different kind of Oscar bait. The Disaster Artist is definitely worth checking out, mainly due to Franco's magnetic performance and moments of fascinating insight, but ultimately, the mediocre direction prevents it from fully embracing the humanity the script truly needs. James Franco isn't a hero, nor a villain. Unfortunately, he is his own worst enemy. B-

• Like 4

I don't actually think James Franco's impression / impersonation is particularly accurate, he exaggerates a lot of it and I'm not really sure why. When people say he "IS" Tommy, I just can't see it. 

That being said, whoever he becomes, he does become someone. You completely forget it's James Franco to the point where Tommy and Greg are speaking and you always see them as the characters, not brothers. To put two brothers who look like each other as the lead characters, I thought would be risky, but James makes you completely forget about it. He is mightily impressive.

I still can't figure out why Dave Franco is a thing, though. He is just a presence... watch his interviews and his movies and see if you can tell a difference. He just reads his lines off. He's not terrible but he can't play a character other than himself. He has no talent.

• Like 1