DeeCee

Episode IV:A NEW MOUSE | DISNEY | IT IS DONE

Disney and Twenty-First Century Fox are closing in on a deal, and it could come as soon as next week, according to sources familiar with the matter.

The deal contemplates the sale of Fox's Nat Geo, Star, regional sports networks, movie studios and stakes in Sky and Hulu, among other properties. What would remain at Fox includes its news and business news divisions, broadcast network and Fox sports.

The enterprise value of the Fox assets in the Disney deal is seen as above $60 billion, according to sources. Current Fox shareholders would get one share of the Fox company that remains after the movie and television assets are sold plus shares of Disney in a fixed exchange ratio.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/12/05/disney-and-fox-are-closing-in-on-deal-could-be-announced-next-week--sources.html

• Like 2
  • Astonished 1

Guess this would also mean all the sports networks they have left are going to become "ESPN Ohio", "ESPN Southwest" etc.

Was mentioned in the animation club forum but I will indeed be curious about what Disney decides to do with Blue Sky

Edited by tribefan695

2 minutes ago, cannastop said:

I wonder how the release dates of the Avatar sequels will be affected.

Probably not much. Disney already had a vested interest in the franchise will likely just put all their Star Wars stuff in the summer once they start coming out.

2 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

Was mentioned in the animation club forum but I will indeed be curious about what Disney decides to do with Blue Sky

My guess is that they'll shut it down. Maybe some of the artists and technicians will be rehired at Pixar or WDAS. 

If this deal happens, this is such a great move by Disney. They get a huge influx of content for their streaming service. Fox has a massive film library. Disney also gets the distribution rights to Star Wars Episode IV. They get the film rights to the FF and X-Men. They get the Avatar franchise, which they are already heavily invested in with Avatar Land in Walt Disney World. This gives them a closer working relationship with James Cameron.

The deal also gives Disney a few valuable cable networks. It also gives them ownership of a bunch of regional sports networks, which is an area Fox has been a leader in and Disney isn't even a player in. The content from those regional sports networks could help ESPN.

The most important thing is that it makes Disney too big for another company to purchase. From a business perspective, this would be a huge win for Disney.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cannastop said:

My guess is that they'll shut it down. Maybe some of the artists and technicians will be rehired at Pixar or WDAS. 

Turns out Blue Sky is based in Connecticut. If they shut down those guys are gone.

This is bad no matter what companies are being bought or sold. I don't care if it's Disney and Fox, Wal-Mart and Costco, Mastercard and Visa. Monopolies shouldn't exist. Mergers of this size shouldn't exist. Hell, companies the size of Disney shouldn't exist BEFORE this merger, frankly. And in terms of the actual two players involved, I think it's bad news for movies. Disney's live action movies are generally good, but they're also generally a formula - same kind of jokes and ensemble play and style across Marvel, Star Wars, POTC, the fantasy movies....they all feel the same. I don't want even more movies to feel the same. Same with TV, given FX's excellent content. And the biggest loss might be Fox Searchlight, which does terrific work and will not be allowed to make R rated films or anything edgy under Disney.

And not to sound like an ass, but I'm a grown up. I want at least some primarily adult aimed entertainment options. Disney does not provide that - that's their thing. You think something like Three Billboards or 12 Years a Slave or even Logan drops once Disney owns Fox? Not happening.

• Like 26