DeeCee

Episode IV:A NEW MOUSE | DISNEY | IT IS DONE

I'd think they'd just move the BlueSky teams into their other animation studios?  The only actual possibly worth something to Disney is Peanuts.  The rest of the movie would just be fodder for their streaming program.

Overall, the deal is good for both Fox and Disney.  I think there's pros and cons for the consumers.  This will create more competition for Netflix, Prime and Hulu, so Disney will still have to be competitive on the streaming front.  Plus, Disney's streaming program will have a large library, which will be a major plus for consumers wanting good streaming programs.

For actual movies, it'll all depend on how Disney decides to approach Fox's studio as a whole.  Will they keep Searchlight running?  Will they keep the main Fox studio producing their own things (similar to Pixar and LucasFilm, etc.)?  Will they take advantage of all of Fox's IPs and creative talent?

My gut instinct is that they'd keep those, but I can't see how Disney's overall costs would look keeping everything running.  They may want to streamline Fox, and only keep some IPS, which would then have some negative effects on consumers.  We may also get less movies coming out overall, but that could be beneficial to Box Office, as either other studios may try to increase film production or there will be less competition on the market, giving some smaller films more room to develop legs and break into more theaters.

5 minutes ago, AJG said:

Turns out Blue Sky is based in Connecticut. If they shut down those guys are gone.

My guess is they shut it down and DisneyToon absorbs Blue Sky’s film rights. Or they move Blue Sky to the DisneyToon building.

7 minutes ago, Walt Disney said:

If this deal happens, this is such a great move by Disney. They get a huge influx of content for their streaming service. Fox has a massive film library. Disney also gets the distribution rights to Star Wars Episode IV. They get the film rights to the FF and X-Men. They get the Avatar franchise, which they are already heavily invested in with Avatar Land in Walt Disney World. This gives them a closer working relationship with James Cameron.

The deal also gives Disney a few valuable cable networks. It also gives them ownership of a bunch of regional sports networks, which is an area Fox has been a leader in and Disney isn't even a player in. The content from those regional sports networks could help ESPN.

The most important thing is that it makes Disney too big for another company to purchase. From a business perspective, this would be a huge win for Disney.

This is the exact kind of post I expect from someone who’s username is “Walt Disney”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • ...wtf 1

Just now, Cmasterclay said:

And not to sound like an ass, but I'm a grown up. I want at least some primarily adult aimed entertainment options. Disney does not provide that - that's their thing. You think something like Three Billboards or 12 Years a Slave or even Logan drops once Disney owns Fox? Not happening.

Disney did used to own Miramax and had a couple adult labels in Touchstone and Hollywood Pictures. I understand the cynicism, but even if they do aim for family friendly entertainment I still think Fox Searchlight's business is too lucrative for Disney to just dump it.

• Like 16

1 minute ago, tribefan695 said:

Plus, even if it doesn't come from Disney, there's still very much a market for adult filmmaking. If they don't keep the void filled, someone else will.

There will be a market, until Disney buys everything and A24 is responsible for all adult fil making that isn't student films in the world.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

However to be honest Fox was looking to sell anyway. Odds are if Disney didn’t grab it someone else would.

I think Disney approached Fox initially. But Fox leaked the talks to try to get the best offer because they did want to sell. Comcast, Verizon, and Sony (for some weird reason) were the reported interested parties. Fox liked the fit with Disney the best. Comcast seemed the most likely buyer after Disney.

3 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

And not to sound like an ass, but I'm a grown up. I want at least some primarily adult aimed entertainment options. Disney does not provide that - that's their thing. You think something like Three Billboards or 12 Years a Slave or even Logan drops once Disney owns Fox? Not happening.

They'll do it if they want a competitive streaming program.  They have enough content already for their program to appeal to some families, what they need is enough content to appeal to a larger amount of the general audience of moviegoers.  Having awards contenders on your streaming program is a major plus, especially during the December and January time frame.  Fox provides that, and they'll need to be able to continually add to that library, which would mean keeping Fox running.

We don't really know how Disney will use Fox yet.  It's very possible they just take the library, a few IPs (like Avatar), the regional sports channels and shelve the rest.  It's also possibility they let things like Fox Searchlight keep running, especially if they're bringing in a profit.  They did similar things when they owned Miramax and Touchstone.  Judging from how they've treated LucasFilm, Pixar and Marvel, Disney seems to allow their purchased studios to remain autonomous (even to the extent of not putting the Disney logo on their Star Wars and Marvel movies) and do their own thing.  

Movie studios in general seem to trying to copy the Marvel formula, I don't think it's that Disney is forcing their studios to be formulaic (especially since the new Star Wars movies really don't play much like the Marvel movies imo, although they do fit the style of modern blockbusters).

• Like 1

I mean beyond the adult filmmaking, which you guys make good points,  a deal like this should should still not be able to legally exist. Just too big. We need to regulate how much power and market shares corporations can have. Amazon is even worse.

Edited by Cmasterclay
  • Like 8