DeeCee

Episode IV:A NEW MOUSE | DISNEY | IT IS DONE

Usually this type of buyout happens when an industry becomes a mature market and stop (fast) growing. But in USA it already has been a mature market for a long time, so I think this buyout has something to do with the fear of the rise of internet-based companies such as Netflix and Amazon. These are not just new comers. They are game-changers and they are shaping this industry. It's also one of the key factors to the AT&T/Time Warner deal and the whole "net neutrality" business. 

• Like 2

My guess is that Disney keeps Avatar, puts F4 in the MCU and let the XCU do its own thing for a while, rename the Fox label “Searchlight” and makes it the new Touchstone and Blue Sky gets absorbed or sold.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

My guess is they shut it down and DisneyToon absorbs Blue Sky’s film rights. Or they move Blue Sky to the DisneyToon building.

I think Disney take the rights. Anything that’s worth continuing gets a cheap cartoon on Disney Channel. The staff are gone.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, vc2002 said:

Usually this type of buyout happens when an industry becomes a mature market and stop (fast) growing. But in USA it already has been a mature market for a long time, so I think this buyout has something to do with the fear of the rise of internet-based companies such as Netflix and Amazon. These are not just new comers. They are game-changers and they are shaping this industry. It's also one of the key factors to the AT&T/Time Warner deal and the whole "net neutrality" business. 

This is pretty much the thing that is affecting Hollywood as a whole. The industry is changing and the studios need to decide how to adapt. Disney's approach seems to be to go head to head with Netflix and Amazon. Comcast was ahead of the curve by buying Universal and then DWA. Warner Bros. solution was to be purchased by AT&T.

While I am unsure how this will effect consumers wanting to go to see movies, I think this deal is actually good for theaters.  It gives Disney (a movie-studio, which Netflix and Hulu are not) control over a large portion of the market for streamable content.  That is, the profits raised from streaming can be used toward producing content.  Also, in order for Disney to promote their streaming service, they'll need to continue to produce theatrical hits that they'll later be able to add to their library, in order to keep the streaming service appealing.  Their original content won't go straight to streaming, whereas Netflix and Hulu's do (which are the biggest competitors to the theatrical game).

And while this is a big merger, I still wouldn't consider this close to Disney being a monopoly.  Something like the film industry is always going to be a sort of oligopoly, there's no way around it given the high costs.  Disney still won't own enough of a market where I think they're doing anything illegal or majorly damaging to the overall surplus of the industry.  There's enough firms for the industry to stay competitive, especially when you compare it to things like the Cable or Telephone Industry.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Walt Disney said:

This is pretty much the thing that is affecting Hollywood as a whole. The industry is changing and the studios need to decide how to adapt. Disney's approach seems to be to go head to head with Netflix and Amazon. Comcast was ahead of the curve by buying Universal and then DWA. Warner Bros. solution was to be purchased by AT&T.

TimeWarner already spun off Time Inc which left the more profitable media arm which was HBO, Turner and Warner Bros. HBO alone is worth a lot to AT&T as well as the Turner cable networks. 

I could see CBS merging with Viacom again, the split ironically made CBS more profitable than Viacom. If CNN is sold off, I could see CBS making a play, they've been interested for years,

1 minute ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

One thing for sure Disney sells they physical media at a premium, with Fox you could get new movies under $10 on sale

Or you pay $10 a month for a service and have access to the entire Disney/Fox library?  It's business, and people are pretty doom and gloom over this.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The Last Panda said:

While I am unsure how this will effect consumers wanting to go to see movies, I think this deal is actually good for theaters.  It gives Disney (a movie-studio, which Netflix and Hulu are not) control over a large portion of the market for streamable content.  That is, the profits raised from streaming can be used toward producing content.  Also, in order for Disney to promote their streaming service, they'll need to continue to produce theatrical hits that they'll later be able to add to their library, in order to keep the streaming service appealing.  Their original content won't go straight to streaming, whereas Netflix and Hulu's do (which are the biggest competitors to the theatrical game).

And while this is a big merger, I still wouldn't consider this close to Disney being a monopoly.  Something like the film industry is always going to be a sort of oligopoly, there's no way around it given the high costs.  Disney still won't own enough of a market where I think they're doing anything illegal or majorly damaging to the overall surplus of the industry.  There's enough firms for the industry to stay competitive, especially when you compare it to things like the Cable or Telephone Industry.

True, the industry is strong enough to survive. Although I’m largely against the deal and the monopoly it could create, I feel like some of the outrage is the fact that Disney is closest to get the rights.

Great news for moviegoers everywhere, one of the best things that could happen. A studio that makes almost all quality movies acquires a studio that has a proud history of great hits as well, but uniting their resources will be a powerful bargaining tool against theaters that are also consolidating (with Regal in talks to be sold to a European-based cinema company). The best thing for moviegoers is Disney's streaming service that's coming, which will hopefully grant access to thousands of movies that Netflix simply doesn't have because they have about 17 movies before 1980. It's pathetic. Their selection has gotten so bad because they spend all of their money making original content, none of it negotiating deals, and try to appeal to the absolute cheapest, poorest people by offering a service for $10/month that really should be $30/month and loaded with more content. 

I don't see any negatives to this deal at all for moviegoers. Fox won't magically neuter Deadpool 2, it'll still be Deadpool 2, Disney won't want to mess with a good thing. 

To say you want more "adult entertainment" where you define "adult" as shitty indie movies that nobody likes is disingenuous at best. Most people would far rather see a Pixar movie than see this year's crappy indie love fest. That's why the box office results are so terrible for these movies. They have awful trailers that appeal to just about nobody, so even with an RT score of 90-100% nobody watches them. They're NOT appealing movies. If you want to see them, that's awesome, I'm sure you'll always be able to find some "hidden indie gem" about a gender neutral non-binary single mother / father / unidentified raising a special needs child in the inner city while struggling with heroin abuse and the injustice of capitalist society, but for the rest of us who like movies that provide actual entertainment value Disney is king. 

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 3