baumer

Brawl in Cell Block 99 (2017)

Grade it  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

One of those rare films where I eagerly awaited the chance to rent it on iTunes, and I can say that the final product proved to be money well spent. It honors the sensibilities of its grindhouse predecessors, while still finding a way to stand out on its own by imbuing the brutal proceedings with an impressive amount of seriousness. 

Edited by GeneralKong
  • Like 1

Amazing movie. I liked Bone Tomahawk but this is a better movie in almost every way. From the car destruction scene Vince Vaughn completely grabs your attention through the end. Despite the movie being full of brutal violence and non-stop nihilism it didn't feel like schlock just for the sake of it. The story and Vaughn's descent into prison hell registered with me on an emotional level. It makes you relish in the violence and at the same time feeling guilty for cheering on because every brutal confrontation goes on for a few more crushed bones than you expect.

Really great movie. I can't wait for the director's next movie which has the awesome title Dragged across Concrete.

• Like 1

Seriously, what's the appeal of someone beating the shit out of people like some unstoppable terminator?

There’s so much testoterone here that one could easily mistake this for a parody. But I guess VIOLENCE & BRUTALITY makes a movie for some.

Also, it cannot be overstated how appalling the whole thing looks. Digital overgraded garbage. Awful blocking. 3/10