filmlover

SAG Discussion thread

So The Post and Phantom Thread did screen too late.

Can't believe they went for Denzel too :gold: Gyllenhaal is deader than dead now :hahaha: 

No CMBYN Supporting Actors is pretty big, especially when both 3B guys and Jenkins got in. Could this be telling for the Oscars?

Replace Hunter or Blige with Spencer and I think that's your Oscar lineup.

Edited by WrathOfHan

Well these are just...wacky. Obviously The Post was done in by lack of screeners or not getting screened on time.

As big of a Denzel fan that I am, I simply can't support him getting recognition for that piece of crap movie. Legit surprised James Franco missed here, of all places.

The Big Sick lives! Harrelson! Chalamet has a good chance at being CMBYN's only acting nom, I guess. And I guess Kaluuya is really happening now.

5 minutes ago, Morieris said:

Heh, the chat just said "No DDL but Denzel?"

The SAGs are the ones that seem to be more observant of POC. Aren't they the show that awarded Elba both for Luther and No Nation in one night last year?

They also gave it to Denzel over Affleck last year (though to be fair, Denzel had never won here before and they probably wanted to make it up to him).

I will never stop laughing if he gets an actual Oscar nom. That would surpass Eddie Redmayne in The Danish Girl and Sean Penn in I Am Sam as easily the most undeserved Actor nomination of the last 20 years or so.

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Well these are just...wacky. Obviously The Post was done in by lack of screeners or not getting screened on time.

As big of a Denzel fan that I am, I simply can't support him getting recognition for that piece of crap movie. Legit surprised James Franco missed here, of all places.

The Big Sick lives! Harrelson! Chalamet has a good chance at being CMBYN's only acting nom, I guess. And I guess Kaluuya is really happening now.

lmao really? DDL and Hanks didn't get in because their movies were sent too late. Kaluuya is still a fringe contender. 

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

lmao really? DDL and Hanks didn't get in because their movies were sent too late. Kaluuya is still a fringe contender. 

I think the line-up is gonna end up being Chalamet/Franco/DDL/Kaluuya/Oldman. I'll believe Hanks is finally getting nominated again when it happens.

Most surprising miss for me this morning is probably Hammer, considering he's a co-lead and they previously nominated him for the certified flop that was J. Edgar. These are just nuts overall, though.

Just now, filmlover said:

Also, I think Actress is gonna end up being between Ronan and McDormand. Their films are clearly the strongest in the category.

I'm going with McDormand here and Streep at the Oscars. It would be crazy if we had different winners at every show:

Globes: Hawkins/Ronan

SAG: McDormand

Oscars: Streep

:ohmygod: 

6 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

I'm going with McDormand here and Streep at the Oscars. It would be crazy if we had different winners at every show:

Globes: Hawkins/Ronan

SAG: McDormand

Oscars: Streep

:ohmygod: 

Streep is not winning. That SAG didn't throw her in automatically like they do for close to everything she does (they even nominated her for The River Wild lmao) regardless of screener issues is pretty big.

Carell wins for the most WTF nomination, especially when Stone (who got most of the praise for Battle of the Sexes) missed. One of the CMBYN guys will replace him come Oscar nomination morning.

Edited by filmlover

6 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Streep is not winning. That SAG didn't throw her in automatically like they do for close to everything she does (they even nominated her for The River Wild lmao) regardless of screener issues is pretty big.

Oh please. Screeners were just sent out last week. Her missing here doesn't affect her chances at winning whatsoever, especially when a large box office gross is likely.

Edited by WrathOfHan

3 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Oh please. Screeners were just sent out last week. Her missing here doesn't affect her chances at winning whatsoever, especially when a large box office gross is likely.

Streep is not winning her fourth so soon lmao, not this year, not this movie. Time to let that one go now.

Whoever wins here, wins the Oscar. I'm going with Ronan.

A ton of movies took a hit today. The Shape of Water took one, Call Me by Your Name definitely took one (if it ends up getting the Carol treatment...), Dunkirk kinda took one (really needed an Ensemble nom to ensure its strength), and despite having a cast full of established people that would ensure a nomination even with screener issues, The Post took one. I'm kinda dreading what snubs are in store for the Oscars this year.

• Like 3

Kaluuya's definitely getting in.

Also, it's worth noting there's a really high importance for a BP winner to have SAG nom (not necessarily a win) as it indicates major support from the actors branch of the academy.  

I'd say this puts the BP race between Lady Bird, Get Out and Three Billboards.

10 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Streep isn't winning when there's a massive amount of love for McDormand, Ronan and Hawkins.  It's worth noting Streep has also been getting a lot of major ignores from critics, which also correlate with Actress wins.

If she missed the Globes, I wouldn't think her chances would be affected, but missing a SAG nom (especially when you already have three wins and your performance isn't receiving the type of acclaim your competitors are getting) is the deal breaker.

6 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Streep is not winning her fourth so soon lmao, not this year, not this movie. Time to let that one go now.

Whoever wins here, wins the Oscar. I'm going with Ronan.

A ton of movies took a hit today. The Shape of Water took one, Call Me by Your Name definitely took one (if it ends up getting the Carol treatment...), Dunkirk kinda took one (really needed an Ensemble nom to ensure its strength), and despite having a cast full of established people that would ensure a nomination even with screener issues, The Post took one. I'm kinda dreading what snubs are in store for the Oscars this year.

Yeah, last year you could have made the argument, "They didn't nominate La La Land because it didn't have an ensemble!" (And still remember, La La Land missed and lost the Oscar)

But when your movie is ensemble based like the Post (as well as Shape of Water, Dunkirk, CMBYN, and The Florida Project) and you missed, it does indicate a lack of support from a major branch.  That's especially true when your movie missed a lot of key nominations like CMBYN did with Hammer/Stuhlberg and The Post did with Streep and Hanks.

Also, I think the Big Sick (despite a Globe miss in comedy) is a strong contender for the ninth slot, if there will be nine, now.  I'd also say Mudbound, but I'm too skeptical of the academy shutting it out because of it being Netflix.